7 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variable party size for Road to Legend rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Castle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It just occurred to me that even if you're initially planning to only play with 2 or 3 heroes, you could always create a team of 4 to allow greater flexibility.

At the start of the scenario, just KO the heroes you aren't using and leave them that way for the rest of the game. Morale is automatically reduced to the appropriate ammount for a starting party of the smaller size.

This way, if you have players that may play on an irregular basis, you can just ommit or add them as required.

Also, if you're playing solo and only want to run a couple of characters, you have the flexibility of who to choose from scenario to scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
Descent 2nd Edition Community Rules Reference Guide
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem will be that group size of monsters will still be based on 4 heroes.
I suggest to start with 4 heroes and if fewer players than heroes are present, just let players control multiple heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Castle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
But don't you place monster groups based on number of heroes, so you place based on 2 or 3 rather than 4?

Are there actual situations where the app places fixed groups based on team size?
In the tutorial mission, zombies get a pre-determined group, but it was the same when I solo'd with 2 as it was when we co-op'd with 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, when monsters are placed in individual spaces (indicated by red borders, not via the white pulsating circle) the number depends on the number of heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Castle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Surely in that case it's a simple act of reducing that placement to match the appropriate group size for the number of heroes?

I can't see a small tweak like that is going to throw the balance of a scenario totally off - you're just adjusting the scale of an encounter that is going to occur anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty sure that not all fixed monster placements respect group limits. Thus, you can never be sure if you placed the correct number as this information is hidden.

But sure, you can give it a try. It's your game to enjoy after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pfenninger
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When it says to ignore group size with the placement of monsters, just ignore it and place a good amount of it (i.e. 3 players = 75/80% of the group, 2 players gets 60/75% of the group) I think this is more than fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.