Hide
7 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Gunslinger rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Serge Libert
msg tools
Last night we tryied the gunslinger et us marshal.

The us marshal is really good.

I had some doubts about the gunslinger with his low health and they were confirmed ....
He can dish some damage but is too weak to survive.

Or did I play him wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. T.
Germany
Ahnatal
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Gunslinger was a beast. The other players always hoped that there will be any enemies left to kill. But i always avoided to run in front of the group.
Your main problem is the small group. The odds are 50% that your Gunslinger will be attacked. His role is not to face enemies in melee fight. The best way to handle this is with heroes that can block small passages (2 fields) and the Gunslinger shoots from behind.
If there are any enemies adjacent always try to get an successful escape test and move out. This way the enemies have to find a new target.
I would suggest a group of 3-4 heroes. With the right Items he is a really good damage dealer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hire three Henchmen Allies, then your posse gets a revive token, and more targets for the monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At low levels, and with a small posse, everyone has issues. It is exacerbated for those Heroes with a 5+ Defense and low starting Health. As mentioned, with a small posse all the Heroes tend to get attacked every Fight, since it is difficult to block movement. Once the Heroes get a few levels and some xtra Health and Armor, they become more durable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gunslinger, like the Saloon Girl, starts off weak but ramps up in power faster than the other Heroes. By level 3 your wreaking-ball status should begin to show itself.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Libert
msg tools
Thanks for the reply!

I'll continue to play with him then

How should I level him up?
And starting skill?
What should I try to loot/buy as equipment?

I confess, I didn't look at his trees since I wanted to test him anyway.

The same with the bandido, I want to try him also.

Is he good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maahjin wrote:
Thanks for the reply!

I'll continue to play with him then

How should I level him up?
And starting skill?
What should I try to loot/buy as equipment?

I confess, I didn't look at his trees since I wanted to test him anyway.

The same with the bandido, I want to try him also.

Is he good?

All of the Gunslinger's Starting Upgrades are solid.

The errata'ed version of Quickdraw isn't as good as it used to be, but it's still pretty good and it's the best Upgrade for smoothing out the power curve since it gives you something for nothing. However it doesn't scale nearly as well as the other 2 Upgrades, so it's effectiveness because less useful as you level up.

Reload is probably the best Upgrade overall, but because it's expensive (2 Grit to use) so you won't be using it regularly until level 3+. It also steers you heavily toward specializing in the "Way of the Gun" Upgrade tree so that you can get all the special bullets and make the most of it. I wouldn't take this Starting Upgrade if that Upgrade Tree doesn't appeal to you.

Pistol Fanning is a decent middle-ground option. It only costs 1 Grit to use and it basically gives you as many Shots as dual-wielding would, only without the no-crit penalty. It doesn't scale with item Upgrades (sockets), but it does get better as your guns get better. It requires you have a Hand free as well (cause one hand has to fan the hammer of the pistol!) which thanks to the errata is much easier to manage than it used to be (cause you can choose your weapons at the Start of Activation, rather than Start of Whole Turn).

Whatever path you choose for the Gunslinger, you're gonna want to focus on the following, in this order of priority -

1) Awesome 1-Handed Gun(s)
2) Extra Grit generation or +MaxGrit
3) +Initiative
4) +Health and/or +Armor
5) Everything else

There are a few considerations depending on your Starting Upgrade and Upgrade Path. For instance, if you can find and equip the Outlaw Gun Belt - and don't have Pistol Fanning - you should do that. +Grit is also going to be less important (but still really important) for Quickdraw builds. By contrast, +Init is less important if you have Quickdraw.

The Bandido is a Madness waiting to happen. He can be quite good yes, but you will spend the first few missions managing his low Sanity and poor Willpower saves. That's a whole other discussion tho.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.