Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Attacking an exhausted creature rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Sheets
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
This has probably been answered a dozen times, but I am going to ask it again; if Roland and Wendy are in the same location, with the goul priest, it's Wendy's turn and she successfully evades the priest, can Roland attack the goul priest? Or does Roland have to engage the priest first, and if he does, will the priest remain exhausted, or will it ready before it is attacked?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
He has to engage the creature unless he's got a weapon that lets him stay away from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeeshkul wrote:
He has to engage the creature unless he's got a weapon that lets him stay away from it.

Sorry but that's incorrect.

Roland does not have to engage the Ghoul Priest in order to attack it. He can attack any enemy at his location, regardless of whether it is engaged with him, another investigator, or unengaged, and also regardless of whether it is exhausted or ready.

Attacking or engaging will not cause the enemy to ready. The only way an exhausted enemy becomes ready is during the upkeep phase when all exhausted cards ready, or if an ability specifically readies the enemy (an ability on the enemy itself, or on the agenda, or a treachery card, etc.).

Also note that being exhausted "turns off" the Ghoul Priest's retaliate ability, so if Roland fails his attack the Priest will not attack back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malcolm is wholly correct. I'll just add that there is an exception to not needing to engage an enemy to attack it, which is if the enemy is Aloof - in which case, it must be engaged with an investigator in order to Fight it. That said, it doesn't have to be engaged with you!

Note also that the Machete, commonly considered the best 0XP weapon yet released, does require you to be engaged with your target (and no other enemies) in order to deal the additional damage. But as the text on that implies, you definitely don't have to be engaged with a (non-Aloof) enemy to fight it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nefrubyr wrote:

Also note that being exhausted "turns off" the Ghoul Priest's retaliate ability, so if Roland fails his attack the Priest will not attack back.

Oh man, this just made my life easier... been playing this SO wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindgaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
An investigator may fight any enemy at his or her location, including: an enemy he or she is engaged with, an unengaged enemy at the same location, or an enemy engaged with another investigator who is at the same location

Rules ref. page 12, Fight action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys for correcting me, we have played it wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik O'Rourke
Ireland
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aloof enemies still required to be engaged in order to attack, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sheets
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thanks Guys, that really helps, I was under the assumption that the creature had to be engaged to fight it, it looks like the easiest way to fight a creature is to have Wendy evade it then have roland attack it as hard as he can while it is exhausted so it cant strike back if it has retaliate. my confusion came from it just seemed to easy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's actually Wendy's forte, so go ahead. Don't expect it to always be easy, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.