West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
In Mission 2 of this campaign you are asked to take two actions on the ROI with red objective markers. A build action to send a signal and a research action to receive a signal.

I assume that you cannot take this action with Froggy (as it can only be used for explore actions).

However, you must use the other rover. Consequently, can you take both actions in a single game turn? Or do you need to take the build action one round and the Research action in the following round? I assume that they must be taken on two separate turns.

Given that there are 4 objective tokens and therefore 4 build and 4 research actions to take. If you can only take one per day then surely it is technically impossible to complete the mission in 7 days.

Alternatively if you can take both actions on a single turn do you need to incur the cost of getting to the ROI twice?! I had two blue additional pawn terrain markers on two adjacent terrains and so it was costing me 5 actions to reach ring 3. So that's a total of 10 actions for both the build and the Research action. Consequently, I had too few actions to do both.

Please help. Slightly confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Emer
Italy
Taio
Trento
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to start the second scenario so i might be wrong but... You can have tuo or more build/research action per turno...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
miemer wrote:
I'm going to start the second scenario so i might be wrong but... You can have tuo or more build/research action per turno...

I agree but you can only use Scorpio once per turn and you need it to carry out all 8 of the actions as they take place on the ROI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jay.
I've played both campaigns, but it has been a few weeks and I cannot recall the details of the scenarios. But I got through all the scenarios somehow, and I did not find any logistical problems getting all my actions completed. (But that does not mean I didn't goof up and do something wrong....) So, I didn't see this as an issue when I played a few weeks ago.

All that hasn't helped you any, I know.

But that is a good question about the use of Scorpio more than once per round. As I recall, I've never used it twice in 1 round (usually because I had other things to do to occupy all my pawns), but is there anything in the rules that says you CANNOT use Scorpio more than once in a round? (I skimmed the rules just now and did not see anything specifically saying you can only use it once.....)

It is obvious you can only use each astronaut or AOM pawn once, but thematically, could the engineer go out in Scorpio to do something (early in the round) and then the geologist use Scorpio again to do something else (in the same round???) assuming it was done "later in the sol"?

Is every single action in one round (or phase) considered to be simultaneous, or is there wiggle room to allow sequential actions to happen? (The rules are explicit in that you cannot designate an action if you do not have the prerequisites to complete it...ie you cannot gather a sample and then research it in the same round because you did not have the sample when you were assigning the research action), BUT you do "have Scorpio" when assigning actions, so could two separate actions be taken with Scorpio????) I've never done that, thinking you can't; but now I wonder.... (I'll continue to play assuming the rover can only be used once, but you got me wondering...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Emer
Italy
Taio
Trento
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the rulebook the action using the scorpio plans to take the minia and place it together with the pawn for the action.
this to me looks like a limit one use per round

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You first must take Build action (record signal) and then, next round take Research action (send a signal).

2. You cannot use rover for two different actions in a round!

3. You can finish this mission - it is possible. I don't want to spoil and give the solution - just do your best, play the best you can, see what you'll achieve and then you will see if you need to replay it with experience gained and some lessons learned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rizutko

Arlington
Massachusetts
msg tools
If I recall from this scenario correctly, and I think this is consistent with what Ignacy says above, the research action you take is done at the lab proper within the hab, and not on the ROI tile.

In essence, you are taking a build action on the ROI and the result of that action is getting to place that token on the tracker for the scenario. Then, after the resolution of the round, you have access to it in future rounds as a separate research track on the scenario page.

This means that you have to wait for successive rounds to be able to send the signals after they have been recorded, but it does significantly reduce the total # of actions needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Telgar Sandseeker
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When using the Campaign book, opened page Mission 2, you can see the area of Mission Objective where you will put the red markers after getting them from outside.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
You have 1st to get them from the surface of mars and bring them to inside the facility (4 times, 'Record Signal',either using scorpio to support, or not, it is a Build action. Put the red token on the "recorded" area of Mission objective. You are done with the external activities).

Then you will do some reseach on the collected record(Send signal action), you will move the red token from Recorded to Sent in the Action area of the campaign book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.