20 Posts

Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » General

Subject: Thoughs on NPCs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris nelson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kind of torn on the NPC sets. I generally don't use them unless I'm playing with my kids since I think they make the game a lot easier. What are your thoughts on them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're cool for the extra vault items, but the NPC mechanic is too..."gamey"...for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
With the wolves and the deadeye walkers in my card deck, I'm happy that there are some zombies that offer a little break for the heroes. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marbury
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I treat my NPCs as regular walkers. I like having more variation in the look of the walkers. I don't like the "collect a set and trade in for a vault weapon' mechanic. Too gimmicky to me. But I do like having the extra vault weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do use the NPC cards to flesh out my custom spawn deck. They just count as walkers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schmarbs523 wrote:
I treat my NPCs as regular walkers. I like having more variation in the look of the walkers. I don't like the "collect a set and trade in for a vault weapon' mechanic. Too gimmicky to me. But I do like having the extra vault weapons.

Same here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I kept a few of the minis to use as custom necromancers. Mechanism did nothing for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SHAWN HUMPHREY
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
I use them purely as walkers. The extra vault cards are nice, but the weapons in Wulfsburg are better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Tang
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me hijack the thread for a related question. People (e.g. OP) say having the extra zombies makes it too easy. But nobody seems to complain that having the extra vault relics make it too easy. But I gather that you guys don't do the trade-in rule. So is it plainly for the extra randomness in assigning the vault relics to the 2 vaults, or do you have some clever house rules for how to use the extra relics (without making the game too easy)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, don't play the trade-in. Just for variety for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Letourneau

Massachusetts
msg tools
Painted & use mine as toxic walkers. We call them Plague walkers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Sánchez
msg tools
With all expansions and using 2 or 3 abominations plus 2 Standard and the 2 Wolfbominations, I feel they thin the spawn deck pretty well. I use just 12 NPC's cards and the 13 figures, but changue the trade rule from 5 to 10.

About the Vault equipment, I always select it randomly, the 2 for the vault and even for the trade of minis. As someone said before, there's a lot of better equipment with wulfsburg, so having 8 vault equipment in play at the time don't make it feel unbalance for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ettore Cavalieri
Brazil
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JAGS Crow wrote:
With all expansions and using 2 or 3 abominations plus 2 Standard and the 2 Wolfbominations, I feel they thin the spawn deck pretty well. I use just 12 NPC's cards and the 13 figures, but changue the trade rule from 5 to 10.

About the Vault equipment, I always select it randomly, the 2 for the vault and even for the trade of minis. As someone said before, there's a lot of better equipment with wulfsburg, so having 8 vault equipment in play at the time don't make it feel unbalance for me.

So you just add the vault cards to the item pile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S.
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to be in the minority and like what the NPC adds to the game. However, you have to at least include them as regular zombies just for all the cool sculpts they offer. They are sweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tex Hammack

Spanish Fork
Utah
msg tools
mb
boomgoose wrote:
I seem to be in the minority and like what the NPC adds to the game. However, you have to at least include them as regular zombies just for all the cool sculpts they offer. They are sweet.

I agree with having them as regular zombies. I am another one that feel that NPCs water down the deck and ramp up the heroes way too quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Like most other people, they make good additional walkers in our games, although we do occasionally play them 'properly'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marbury
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kal91a wrote:
Let me hijack the thread for a related question. People (e.g. OP) say having the extra zombies makes it too easy. But nobody seems to complain that having the extra vault relics make it too easy. But I gather that you guys don't do the trade-in rule. So is it plainly for the extra randomness in assigning the vault relics to the 2 vaults, or do you have some clever house rules for how to use the extra relics (without making the game too easy)?

I like adding the randomness to the weapons found in the vaults. And my buddies and I like to play a house rule where killing a special abomination (abominatroll, ablobination, abominotaur, or abominarat) lets us choose a vault weapon from the stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schmarbs523 wrote:
And my buddies and I like to play a house rule where killing a special abomination (abominatroll, ablobination, abominotaur, or abominarat) lets us choose a vault weapon from the stack.

There is a new abomination in Green Horde that'll drop a vault item when it is killed.

When it comes to NPCs... I don't have them. I was given the 6 vault items (in Spanish) and don't feel like I'm missing out. The trade-in mechanic seems silly and I wouldn't want to water down the deck with more walkers. Some people do use NPCs as seekers which seems interesting.

I'd love to have the vault items in English but probably never will because I won't buy the NPC boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought both boxes only for the extra 6 vault weapons witch I mixed with the original 2 and I random take 2 of them each time to put into the vault!

I use the NPC has normal walkers without their strange rule! So I mix them with the normal walker figures to add variety to the look but staying at 35 in quantity. And I don't use their spawn card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krusty Wightbred
msg tools
We like the mechanic if Vault items via NPCs. We have also moved all the Wulfsburg magic items to the Vault, and several of the most powerful items (eg: Chaos Longbow) to a separate 'Super' Vault which costs 10 NPCs for one random choice.

We also painted up and use the NPCs as Walkers, Deadeyes, Fatties and Runners. This stops them from watering down the game. We keep them in a bag so we can draw them randomly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.