Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

The 7th Continent» Forums » Variants

Subject: Indiana Jones Jr, the Second - a custom explorer with 5 custom ideas (and a fancy fedora) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elia - "Rainbow Hippie" Acca
Italy
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having been inspired by GamerMike's great idea of using Indiana Jones as a custom character, I decided to push it further by giving him 5 own ideas to make him a "complete" character.
So, without further ado, let me introduce you to Indy!

And the essential card number 667 (I haven't drawn a back for this card, though - but it might happen sooner or later):

I'm planning to have a test run with indy as soon as my current run ends. I hope some of you want to try him in this version or make your own versions - I'm uploading all the project files I used so that you can use them as starting point to make your own characters or to make your version of Indiana.
You'll also need to downloads some free fonts, which are:
Segoe Print (for the flavour text)
DIN Pro (for the titles and the text)
Plantagenet Cherokee (for some of the graphics)
You'll find the resources I used here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gt4n2tglu5yn594/7thContinentFan.zi...

EDIT: Oh, and needless to say, Serious Poulp were so kind to grant me permission to upload both the cards and the resources I used to make them
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Amey
United States
Eastern Shore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For "Think Outside the Box" why did you only allow the Advanced Skill card to be put in your hand and not include an option to put it in the Action deck?

EDIT: What happens to the Fedora once it is exhausted? If discarded, is there a mechanism to return it to Indy? Also, how is the brown box with the asterisk enabled?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking outside the box seems too strong. I'd put a 2 cost 2 stars on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it, I'll have a closer look to his abilities as soon as I get home!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jefferies
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My name is Oobydoob Scooby-dooby Banooby. I have the silliest name in the galaxy. (Thumb Wars)
mbmbmbmbmb
Love this! It needs to be in the Kickstarter re-launch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro I
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it, the only problem is that it would be quite difficult, I guess, to license it into the game.

But the theme is on the spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These look amazing... does the fedora grant you a 7 for any action?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These all look great! Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It occurs to me that Indy's heyday is the WWII era, so for the era of 7C, the character we need is Indiana Jones SENIOR (Sean Connery, at the age of his first 007 films). It could be fun to extrapolate his skills as a young man based on "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crysknife wrote:
For "Think Outside the Box" why did you only allow the Advanced Skill card to be put in your hand and not include an option to put it in the Action deck?

It's there to make a parallel with Think, and to try to make you take something that you need "right now" rather than just the best card of the bunch.

Quote:
EDIT: What happens to the Fedora once it is exhausted? If discarded, is there a mechanism to return it to Indy? Also, how is the brown box with the asterisk enabled?

It can be enabled by any action. The asterisk is there to mean "anything". Maybe it would make more sense without asterisk? Or maybe I should place an asterisk on Prepared as well, for consistency?

When the Fedora is discarded, it goes to the past and then back into the box. Currently there is no way of getting it back - but it would be nice if there was. I've mused about seeding a second fedora in the "loot" cards (350 I believe?), but that would require sleeving all 350s and then proxying one of them, so I abandoned the idea.
Another idea I had is to add a "take a 667 card" effect to defeating the (card 666 spoiler)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
evil spirit.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but if I make it return-able, I'll definitely lower its durability to 3 or 4, or take away Indy's starting hat.

Razoupaf wrote:
Thinking outside the box seems too strong. I'd put a 2 cost 2 stars on that.

I don't know - it's a weaker version of the 000 thing, gives you better choice but still needs you to have the experience, and it limits how many cards you can buy, and doesn't let you place them in the Action Deck. I can see the argument for it being a somewhere around a 1/1 or a 2/0, but a 2/2 seems pretty harsh?

Thanks all for your feedback so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United States
flag msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is amazing. To "craft" are you just printing on regular paper to sleeve with one of the other sets of character cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pjandy wrote:
This is amazing. To "craft" are you just printing on regular paper to sleeve with one of the other sets of character cards?

Indeed! As for the Fedora, I think I'll also use a spare card from the other characters.
Thank you for the appreciation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is great!

Does anyone know what the best way to print these at 80x80mm is so that they fit in the sleeves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just doing a bit of my own research here.

On Windows 10, I did a few experiments using Windows Photo Viewer.

I printed all 7 Indy images (saved to my PC at medium resolution). I selected all the images, right-clicked, and then left-clicked on "Print".

I deselected "Fit Picture to Frame" and then chose the "Wallet" option (9 pics per page). I chose standard US letter size.

The pics printed out as 63mm x 63mm.

I then tried again, selecting A4 paper. Although the alignment on the page was slightly different, the images themselves still printed at 63mm x 63mm.

I then selected 3.5" x 5" (4 per page) option. This time, the images printed out at 88mm x 88mm.

There doesn't seem to be any easy way to slightly reduce image sizes. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
schleima wrote:

I printed all 7 Indy images (saved to my PC at medium resolution). I selected all the images, right-clicked, and then left-clicked on "Print".

I deselected "Fit Picture to Frame" and then chose the "Wallet" option (9 pics per page). I chose standard US letter size.

I then tried again, selecting A4 paper. Although the alignment on the page was slightly different, the images themselves still printed at 63mm x 63mm.

I then selected 3.5" x 5" (4 per page) option. This time, the images printed out at 88mm x 88mm.

There doesn't seem to be any easy way to slightly reduce image sizes. Does anyone know how to do this?

And here we go!

- Create a Word document.

- In the "Format" menu, under the "Size" group, click the Dialog Box Launcher (the little icon in the lower right)

- Make sure "lock aspect ratio" is checked.

- Now copy the images into a Word document. Left-click the image from within the document to select it.

- In the "Size" group you'll see a measurement in inches. 80mm converts to 3.14961 inches, so just enter 3.14(!) in one box (and the other should automatically update since you've locked the aspect ratio.

- You should see the size instantly reduce, and you'll get an image that's 79mm square-- just slightly smaller than the real game card so that Indy mod card front won't stick out from the edges while the cards are face down in the Action Deck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schleima wrote:
schleima wrote:

And here we go!

- Create a Word document.

- In the "Format" menu, under the "Size" group, click the Dialog Box Launcher (the little icon in the lower right)

- Make sure "lock aspect ratio" is checked.

- Now copy the images into a Word document. Left-click the image from within the document to select it.

- In the "Size" group you'll see a measurement in inches. 80mm converts to 3.14961 inches, so just enter 3.14(!) in one box (and the other should automatically update since you've locked the aspect ratio.

- You should see the size instantly reduce, and you'll get an image that's 79mm square-- just slightly smaller than the real game card so that Indy mod card front won't stick out from the edges while the cards are face down in the Action Deck

I'm happy that you found a solution! Another program that can easily do this is Inkscape. I've lost the pdf I used to print mine, I will upload another one when I print the final version of Indiana. (with a slight change to a 666 card to provide an endless supply of fedoras... )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So what is a 667 card? (The one referenced on Indy's character card?)

There's not one listed here in this post, nor in the SP master card list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schleima wrote:

It's the hat. It says so in the main post, but it's between two big pictures so that might be why you missed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Accatitippi wrote:
schleima wrote:

It's the hat. It says so in the main post, but it's between two big pictures so that might be why you missed it.

Ah ha!

Thanks for this. Great work!

EDIT: So just to be clear, the hat gives Indy a "lucky 7" whenever he uses the hat? That means you'd still have to use another item or card giving you the ability to utilize that 7, correct?

EDIT 2: I take it the banner found on Indy's hat links to an existing banner icon in a curse that I have not yet experienced? (No spoilers, please!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJM
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
schleima wrote:
I take it the banner found on Indy's hat links to an existing banner icon in a curse that I have not yet experienced? (No spoilers, please!)

shake ...the banner links to 2 of the other cards in the first post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schleima wrote:
[q="Accatitippi"]
EDIT: So just to be clear, the hat gives Indy a "lucky 7" whenever he uses the hat? That means you'd still have to use another item or card giving you the ability to utilize that 7, correct?

EDIT 2: I take it the banner found on Indy's hat links to an existing banner icon in a curse that I have not yet experienced? (No spoilers, please!)

1. Yes, you got it!
2. The banner is activated by two of Indy's ideas. Without going into too much details, it results in a better outcome when facing your worst fears phobias...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam F
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
This is so cool. Have you completed the back yet? Would be cool to be able to integrate this into the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DerHerzog wrote:
This is so cool. Have you completed the back yet? Would be cool to be able to integrate this into the game...

No, I'm not planning to draw a back for these. I sleeve my cards, so I just printed these on normal paper and slipped them in the sleeves in front of normal action cards for a character that was not in use.
This way you can be sure that the backs and the weight match perfectly.

The fedora could do with a unique back, but the back is not strictly necessary to play with Indiana

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Schmid
Germany
flag msg tools
Very, very cool cool
Thanks for sharing this, more character are always welcome

I like this very much. I also had an idea for a new explorer, but i was missing the card resources. Thanks for the dropbox link, i think with this i can finally create my own Character. Maybe i'll even upload it here in the forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Slomiany
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
It occurs to me that Indy's heyday is the WWII era, so for the era of 7C, the character we need is Indiana Jones SENIOR (Sean Connery, at the age of his first 007 films). It could be fun to extrapolate his skills as a young man based on "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade".

Most of the filmed Indy adventures are slightly pre-WW2. An older Loecraft in theory could've run around with a younger Indiana Jones. But anyway...

Based on the characters in the box, the "era" of the game is sort of all over the place:

Lovecraft(1890-1937)
Frankenstein (1817)
Mary Kingsley ( died 1900 )

--most likely invented names and the people that the game refers to, but fun to look up anyway
Dmitri Gorchkov ( either 1809, or a water polo player from 1996 Olympics )
Eliot Pendleton (1828-1892 )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.