Victor Ferreira
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
What if, going into the Solar Phase, there's only one step left to complete Mars's terraforming? Does the World Government's action end the game? Or does it continue just through to the end of the next generation? I ask because checking for the game end seems to only happen before the World Government's action. If they wanted the Solar Phase to result in a shorter game, shouldn't steps 1 and 2 be swapped?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight_Sonata wrote:
What if, going into the Solar Phase, there's only one step left to complete Mars's terraforming? Does the World Government's action end the game? Or does it continue just through to the end of the next generation? I ask because checking for the game end seems to only happen before the World Government's action. If they wanted the Solar Phase to result in a shorter game, shouldn't steps 1 and 2 be swapped?

The end game check is before the World Government raises the last step and therefore another generation is played. That is the official rule. But if you really want to shorten the game you can always house rule this.

The game is shorter anyways as this terraforming occurs every generation end, so in a 9 generation game, the world government will terraform at least 8 times, which shorten the game with about one generation in my estimation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
orjanalmen wrote:
Twilight_Sonata wrote:

The end game check is before the World Government raises the last step and therefore another generation is played. That is the official rule. But if you really want to shorten the game you can always house rule this.

The game is shorter anyways as this terraforming occurs every generation end, so in a 9 generation game, the world government will terraform at least 8 times, which shorten the game with about one generation in my estimation

In my experience the World Government terraforming shortens the game with ca 2 generations, which means a lot of time since the generations gets longer and longer as the game progresses. Game is also accelerated by making powerful cards with global requirements playable faster.

The reason End Game condition is checked as step 1 is that Solar Phase is an upkeep phase that is unnecessary to perform if the game is ending. Later expansions will add more steps to the Solar phase (like updating resources on the moons or resolvning global events etc) that will only be performed if game end conditions are not met in step 1.

In the special case where the last global parameter on Mars is finished by world gov. terraforming (and remember that Venus scale is also a parameter that can be increased, but Venus scale is not an end game condition!), yes, in that case the game would be shorter if end game conditions were checked last.

If you want to houserule this differently, I see no problem. I only try to explain why we have choosen this order for the steps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EagleEye80 wrote:

Later expansions will add more steps to the Solar phase (like updating resources on the moons or resolving global events etc) that will only be performed if game end conditions are not met in step 1.

Nice taser dropping :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Duinhir wrote:
EagleEye80 wrote:

Later expansions will add more steps to the Solar phase (like updating resources on the moons or resolving global events etc) that will only be performed if game end conditions are not met in step 1.

Nice taser dropping

ooops! Sorry about that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EagleEye80 wrote:
Duinhir wrote:
EagleEye80 wrote:

Nice taser dropping

ooops! Sorry about that...

Can we pre-order them for SPiel 2018?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.