Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were playing the standard game and dutifully moving the generation marker each turn. It didn't seem to have a game effect other than a way of telling us how long it takes us in comparative playings to terraform Mars. Is there a game effect in the standard game or is this only in the variants?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You only really need it in the solo game where there is a 14 generation limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
We also use it as a convenience in the drafting variant to remind us whether we need to pass clockwise or counter clockwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
We also use it as a convenience in the drafting variant to remind us whether we need to pass clockwise or counter clockwise.

We were doing that until we realized that we had some extra CW/CCW turn order dials from Cthulhu Wars, so we stuck one of those in the game box and just flip it every time we pass the start player disk. But before that, yeah, using the generation marker to help us remember draft direction was its primary use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
It also can provide potentially useful information about how many more generations to expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Little
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

This is true, but I find it easier to track the generation in the solo game by setting out my 4 research cards/generation for the remaining 13 generations during setup. I find that to be a more effective timer for me in the solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wimbush
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
halkster14 wrote:
This is true, but I find it easier to track the generation in the solo game by setting out my 4 research cards/generation for the remaining 13 generations during setup. I find that to be a more effective timer for me in the solo game.

That's a really nifty idea which I intend to shamelessly steal. I do find it difficult to be sure whether I moved the marker on sometimes as I tend to get absorbed with the cards and probably err on the side of caution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
halkster14 wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

The only problem with that method is that it doesn't take other sources of card draw into account. If you do draw at least 1 extra card, you'll be getting it from much further down in the deck than you should be...plus all the research hands after that would be wrong as well. (which could alter the outcome)

Although to be fair, you could use the same argument for randomising the neutral cities (ie. throwing the first 4 cards away vs. my preferred method of using dice or RNG)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve C wrote:
The only problem with that method is that it doesn't take other sources of card draw into account. If you do draw at least 1 extra card, you'll be getting it from much further down in the deck than you should be...plus all the research hands after that would be wrong as well. (which could alter the outcome)

Nope. A random card is a random card, no matter where in the deck it comes from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve C wrote:

Yeah. this is completely irrelevant. This game doesn't revolve around the order of the deck.

The suggested Solo play rules (in the online Solo play threads in the Organized Play forum), suggest dealing out 52 cards to be your research pile (i.e. 4 cards for each of the next 13 generations), and then draw 10 off the rest of the deck for your initial hand, and any time you draw cards for other reasons (i.e. AI Central or a card resource on the map or whatever), you just draw off the rest of the deck.

It doesn't matter if you draw cards from "further down in the deck" or whatever. If the deck is random, the deck is random and it doesn't matter where in the deck you draw cards from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
allstar64 wrote:

We were doing that until we realized that we had some extra CW/CCW turn order dials from Cthulhu Wars, so we stuck one of those in the game box and just flip it every time we pass the start player disk. But before that, yeah, using the generation marker to help us remember draft direction was its primary use.
There is a similar marker in one of the Eclipse expansions - but you could make one out of the idle disk that came with TM - same size and colour as the "First Player" disk. Appropriate arrow on each side...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl S.
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve C wrote:
Although to be fair, you could use the same argument for randomising the neutral cities (ie. throwing the first 4 cards away vs. my preferred method of using dice or RNG)

Actually what I usually do is just flip the first 4 of my initial 10 and use the value of those for city/greenery placement. That way there is no lose of cards and it's still random placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.