Fields of Fire» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Assault Team vs Fire Team rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies in advance if there is an obvious answer to this question but I’m still awaiting delivery of my game and currently only have access to the rulebook….

In the LAT pecking order an Assault Team would appear to be ‘better’ than a Fire Team as evidenced by comparable LAT Limitations (and experience levels) in s4.2.5. However, in Rally Action 4.2.3e you can convert an Assault Team to a Fire Team, which would suggest that in some circumstances it’s preferable to use a Fire Team.

If I’m right what would those circumstances be? And perhaps more generally, when would you choose to use an AT instead of an FT (or squad), and vice versa?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Range. Assault Teams are range P (same card only). Fire Teams are range C (adjacent card).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Martins
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can't look into the game right now, but if I remember correctly, Assault Teams can only fire into their own cards with an A attack rating, whereas fire teams can fire into adjacent cards with S rating

--- edit ---
Haha, ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toadkillerdog wrote:
Range. Assault Teams are range P (same card only). Fire Teams are range C (adjacent card).

Yep, and if I had to guess, FoF enemy is not really designed for creative attacks. I think the idea is that they are not going to do a complex action like moving onto an US card and attack at P range, which would take a bit more command to do. With a FT they are able to do fire from C range as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You would choose an assault team if you wanted to move them into a card with a VOF or a potential contact marker. Fire teams can't do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Hughes
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not sure one is better than the other... If you look to the rulebook on pg.19, you have the ability to convert a fire team to an assault team and vise versa.

It really depends on what you're trying to do. As pointed out earlier, the biggest difference is in (P) point blank range and (C) close range. ALSO the (VOF) Volume of Fire is different as well. The Fire Team is (S) Small Arms and the Assault Team is (A) Automatic.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.

So what would the size and composition of each of these have been back in WW2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Hughes
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LOL... ok, you asked for it

This is based off of FM 7-5 Infantry Field Manual (1940).

The basic US rifle squad consisted of the 1st sergeant (squad leader), corporal, and 10 men armed with rifles.

The basic US automatic rifle squad consisted of the 1st sergeant (squad leader), corporal, and 6 men (two teams of three) armed with BARs.

Tactical doctrine of the time further divided the squad into Able, Baker and Charley. Able (Scout Team) would locate the enemy. Then Baker (Fire Team) would suppress and provide covering fire while Charley (Assault Team) advanced and took the objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Todd, this is really helpful and allows me to put the teams in real world context.

So on that basis I can see why the Fire Team would standoff, with range C, providing fire support whilst the Assault Team would close with the enemy and have a range of P.

What seems less obvious to me is why the Fire Team, with automatic weapons, would have a VOF of S, whereas the Assault Team with rifles would have a VOF of A. Is this because the VOF in the game is calibrated in part to reflect a function of range?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stu123 wrote:
Thanks Todd, this is really helpful and allows me to put the teams in real world context.

So on that basis I can see why the Fire Team would standoff, with range C, providing fire support whilst the Assault Team would close with the enemy and have a range of P.

What seems less obvious to me is why the Fire Team, with automatic weapons, would have a VOF of S, whereas the Assault Team with rifles would have a VOF of A. Is this because the VOF in the game is calibrated in part to reflect a function of range?

I think it is essentially how the Team is functioning at the present time. All of the 10 men have roughly the same weaponry. So, when they are functioning as a Fire Team, they are laying down fire, but not aggressively with as much viciousness as say an Assault Team is trying to take a location so they are using more ammo, maybe grenades, maybe physical fighting, etc. So they are a bit more active. So, think of Small Arms as being lighter in effectiveness in this case as opposed to Automatic as being just more aggressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.