Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that doesn't sit well with me is the tactic of attacking with a 1 strength unit, in the hopes it will die in the attempt and make space for other attacking units to move into the gap. I know it's only a game, but this just seems too gamey. Were such tactics used in playtesting, I wonder?

I fell out with the original Stalingrad by Avalon Hill because you could retreat enemy units forwards into states of isolation if you set up your attacks really carefully. Sigh. If it were just another tactic in a Euro I wouldn't mind, but personally I play wargames partly for some semblance of verisimilitude and the history lesson.

I'm toying with making defensive combat optional to nerf that one. As an attacker, you can still do the double hit by starting with a unit adjacent to the enemy, then moving out after the attack to make room for the next attacking unit.

However, will my idea make the game unacceptably static? And/ or would making defensive combat optional favour more the Axis or the Allies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peregrine nicholls
England
malmesbury
wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You could avoid this by using the Columbia Games doctrine of casualty removal - you must take losses from the biggest blocks/units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pjn789 wrote:

You could avoid this by using the Columbia Games doctrine of casualty removal - you must take losses from the biggest blocks/units.

In this case there is only one unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.