At the Gates of Loyang» Forums » General

Subject: 4p not that good? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Hi,

Why does 4p for this game ranks so badly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it's not so much a 4-player game as it is two 2-player games. Each round, depending on when each player chooses their cards, you will be paired up with one other player. You can only interact with that player and vice-versa for the round (and the other two can only interact with each other). So you have the possibility to interact with all players over the course of the game, it all depends on how the card round plays out.

What makes it awkward is that you then have to have two players going through their actions at the same time (one player from each pair) or you can let one player go at a time, which then increases the downtime. It's like they took a 2-player game and tried to force on a 4-player mode.

3 players isn't too bad, as everyone can interact with each other, but there is still quite a bit of downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bright
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually a bigger fan of playing Loyang with four than three. I like the added strategic twist of getting to choose your partner. Also, it cuts the game time down with four players (three players clocks in at the longest in my experience).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.