Tim Kitchen
Canada
flag msg tools
Last night was the first time playing Star Trek Ascendancy with the new expansions and I thought I was interpreting the rules correctly however I could have been wrong in the following situations. We had 3 players and by majority rule I lost in both situations. I am hoping someone can clarify these two scenarios for me. The first is in relation to the Ferengi trade agreements. I was not using them but for next time I would like to be clear. If the Ferengi and Federation trade agreements, the Federation gives their 1 production to the Ferengi and as all 3 are the same the Ferengi provide one of theirs. By my understanding in the recharge faze if the Ferengi have 1 ship orbiting 2 Federation systems this in turn would generate 2 production for the federation and 5 for the Ferengi? 1 per system with a ship, 1 from the trade card itself, and 2 from the Ferengi starting advancement? Is this correct or am I way off base?

The other question is in relation to commissioning fleets. By my understanding a fleet can be commissioned in any system other than your home world that you control a star base, or within your home system. If I understand it if you want to build a 7 ship fleet with no enhancements assuming you have the ships to begin with things would go as follows. Exhaust 1 command to commission a 3 ship fleet. Then if you want on the same turn to add 4 additional ships to that fleet you would have to issue 1 command token per ship? As it happened last night it was simply handled as 1 command to create a fleet of 7 ships. I am confused? Sorry in advance for the long post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammert11 wrote:
Last night was the first time playing Star Trek Ascendancy with the new expansions and I thought I was interpreting the rules correctly however I could have been wrong in the following situations. We had 3 players and by majority rule I lost in both situations. I am hoping someone can clarify these two scenarios for me. The first is in relation to the Ferengi trade agreements. I was not using them but for next time I would like to be clear. If the Ferengi and Federation trade agreements, the Federation gives their 1 production to the Ferengi and as all 3 are the same the Ferengi provide one of theirs. By my understanding in the recharge faze if the Ferengi have 1 ship orbiting 2 Federation systems this in turn would generate 2 production for the federation and 5 for the Ferengi? 1 per system with a ship, 1 from the trade card itself, and 2 from the Ferengi starting advancement? Is this correct or am I way off base?

You are way off base. The Ferengi would get 3. 1 for the trade agreement from the Federation, and then two for the advancement. The person holding the trade agreement gets the benefit, not the person that gave that trade agreement.

Quote:

The other question is in relation to commissioning fleets. By my understanding a fleet can be commissioned in any system other than your home world that you control a star base, or within your home system. If I understand it if you want to build a 7 ship fleet with no enhancements assuming you have the ships to begin with things would go as follows. Exhaust 1 command to commission a 3 ship fleet. Then if you want on the same turn to add 4 additional ships to that fleet you would have to issue 1 command token per ship? As it happened last night it was simply handled as 1 command to create a fleet of 7 ships. I am confused? Sorry in advance for the long post.

Once a fleet is commissioned, there is no cost to add or remove ships from that fleet. There are explicit examples of this in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Cohen
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hammert11 wrote:

One rule often missed on building new ships. If you build 3 or more ships during your build phase in a system, you can commission a new fleet and place these new ships and any other ships in that system without the use of a command token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammert11 wrote:
Last night was the first time playing Star Trek Ascendancy with the new expansions and I thought I was interpreting the rules correctly ...

I am very interested in rules writing. Just out of curiosity, would you tell me which rules you based your understanding of these two situations on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
Hammert11 wrote:
Last night was the first time playing Star Trek Ascendancy with the new expansions and I thought I was interpreting the rules correctly ...

I am very interested in rules writing. Just out of curiosity, would you tell me which rules you based your understanding of these two situations on?

I have a strong feeling I can answer that, but I'll give the OP the chance to come forward first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Warpinski
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I explain it like this: You may spend 1 command to essentially order an Admiral to assemble a fleet in any valid system. ( Typically home world or starbase) The fleet must contain at least ships and up to as many allowed by the card.

To add a ship to a fleet you can spend a command to order that ships captain to join the fleet.

Assuming you are in a valid fleet forming system, if you are adding more than one ship to a fleet, it makes more sense to disband the fleet and then spend only 1 command to "re-form" the fleet.

You may disband a fleet at any time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
warpaw wrote:
I explain it like this: You may spend 1 command to essentially order an Admiral to assemble a fleet in any valid system. ( Typically home world or starbase) The fleet must contain at least ships and up to as many allowed by the card.

To add a ship to a fleet you can spend a command to order that ships captain to join the fleet.

Assuming you are in a valid fleet forming system, if you are adding more than one ship to a fleet, it makes more sense to disband the fleet and then spend only 1 command to "re-form" the fleet.

You may disband a fleet at any time.

Your first paragraph is correct, and so is the last, but the middle is all wrong. It does NOT cost a command to add ships to an existing fleet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear, you can add/remove ships in the same sector to/from a fleet at any given time except during movement.
Adding/removing ships to an existing fleet is free, only forming the fleet costs a command.

You can do it just before moving, or just after, or when building the fleet, or in fact at any time you need to but just not when a move is currently being resolved so no picking up ships while moving through sectors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cyr
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The official ruling is except during movement, but I think the discussion which led up to that made it clear that it was really except while in the process of executing a command. So for example if you are in a space battle where you have a fleet plus some loose ships, if the fleet is reduced below 3 ships, forcing it to disband, you can't add ships to the fleet mid-battle in order to prevent the need to disband it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.