Rob Canciello
msg tools
Hello!

So I absolutely love this game, and I really want it to succeed.

I've played on a variety of tables, and I know that tight linen table cloths seem to work best for me, but whenever I only have a wooden table to play on, my pieces can slide around a bit or slightly angle when one piece connects to the other.

These slight variations end up changing the vectors of each racer significantly more than what they would be if you were to manually correct and reorient each piece.

As such, people will sometimes argue the validity of a curve or prism capture because if you were to systemically correct all of the minor errors in each connection, the path angle would be off by a decent amount.

As such, I was wondering if any of you have come up with some sort of creative solution to this problem? (Problem: the pieces don't snugly fit together at their connections and can slide along the table in general, as such significant variations in trajectory angles can occur).

A part of me wants to buy a velcro board and then custom cut and glue velcro backings to each piece. This would take a lot of time, but no pieces would ever slide, and once you put a piece down it would easily fit into place with the others.

Other options include: magnetic piece bottoms and board, or making the path pieces thicker and adding Lego-like pegs and holes at the front and back of them.

What are some of your thoughts/solutions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a bit extreme for such a light game.

When capturing a prism, require the fit to be tight by holding down the previous piece and not allowing it to deviate from its current position. Then lay the current piece on the table.

I think a fast, quick game can be allowed some "slop".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Velethrion wrote:

Play with less picky players? You are supposed to play to have fun, not argue about millimeters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank QB
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lukeheineman99 wrote:

When capturing a prism, require the fit to be tight by holding down the previous piece and not allowing it to deviate from its current position. Then lay the current piece on the table.

Thumbed for use of "slop".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a four foot by four foot starfield mat from the Gripmat line by
Break From Reality Games. It keeps things in place fairly well.

https://www.storenvy.com/products/18585919-gripmat-theta-qua...

The link is for a remainder, but I think they still have some smaller ones that are undamaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Canciello
msg tools
Wildhorn wrote:
Velethrion wrote:

Play with less picky players? You are supposed to play to have fun, not argue about millimeters.

After the course of 4+ pieces the diversion is more than a few milliliters.

Now then, does anyone want to posit any actual solutions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Canciello
msg tools
Phogg wrote:
I use a four foot by four foot starfield mat from the Gripmat line by
Break From Reality Games. It keeps things in place fairly well.

https://www.storenvy.com/products/18585919-gripmat-theta-qua...

The link is for a remainder, but I think they still have some smaller ones that are undamaged.

That's a start! That looks interesting. I'll have to check that out. Thank you Edwin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Canciello
msg tools
lukeheineman99 wrote:

I like that solution. It's pretty fair, simple, and doesn't require any additional work.

Yea, you're right about the quick and fast game thing for Lazer Ryderz, I'm just always trying to find ways to iterate on designs. I'm sure there's a way to do it elegantly.

I want the luck of the game to come from the dice rolls and the eyeballing/estimation mechanics, not inherent problems that emerge from the way the game pieces physically connect together or accidentally slide around over time. That to me is a tad too messy.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing in general (as that's exactly the point of the game - to be quick and messy), but for my version of this game at home, not having these factors would be interesting, and I'm sure there's a way to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Velethrion wrote:
Wildhorn wrote:
Velethrion wrote:

After the course of 4+ pieces the diversion is more than a few milliliters.

Now then, does anyone want to posit any actual solutions?

Try using a felt play mat. There are several companies online that make them cheap or you can just get some material and splatter paint a star field on one easy enough. That is what I use for several games that use templates and tokens that might shift on other types of mats. The felt kind of snags the edges of things and keeps them from sliding.

It's not a perfect solution, but it will help some. I have to agree with others though that the best solution would be to play with people who are there to have fun and take the game a little less seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Vander Veen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
Try using a felt play mat. There are several companies online that make them cheap or you can just get some material and splatter paint a star field on one easy enough. That is what I use for several games that use templates and tokens that might shift on other types of mats. The felt kind of snags the edges of things and keeps them from sliding.

It's not a perfect solution, but it will help some. I have to agree with others though that the best solution would be to play with people who are there to have fun and take the game a little less seriously.
Yes! You are awesome.
This comment reminded me of my abandonded felt X-Wing play mat. Felt works great. My home made felt mat is black with sprinkled glitter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H.M. Woggle-Bug, T.E.
msg tools
Royal College of Arts and Athletic perfection
badge
Inventor of Knowledge Pills
mbmbmbmbmb
Superglue.

Now, seriously:
Drill two holes into each piece. When you place them on the table drive a small nail through each hole, but do not drive the nail all the way in. When you need to remove the piece just pull the nails out again.
I cannot recommend this method for glass tables though. There it is back to superglue. If you need to remove the piece from a glass table use a knife to break the superglue. Do not break the piece.

Hope this helps.

PS: Gamemats (X-Wing) are problematic as they often do not lie perfectly flat or even move around when you lean on the table to get a better view. Again, I recommend nails or superglue to solve this problem. You are welcome.

PPS: Whiteglue works as well, but seriously increases playtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are people who don't care if pieces shift around a bit during play.
There are people who do care.
People should be allowed to play the way they want.
There's no reason to give people a hard time about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Fortress
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hey Rob - I'm one of the game designers, and I'd love to see any solutions you come up with! I'm loving the comments here. If you do anything crafty like you were mentioning, please do post pictures and let us know how it works out!! I personally would love a fridge magnet version...

-Nicole
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.