1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Work Placement Recommendation for Kids rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregory Ryan
msg tools
Hello all!

I enjoy worker placement games such as Lords of Waterdeep (I have LoWD on Steam and ios, but no physical board) and Carcassonne. I tried to introduce my family to Carcassonne, but to my dismay, they were not hooked as I was.

My wife stated that she does not enjoy worker placement games, so I am trying to get my kids hooked so I have someone to play with.

One of my children is 10 years old and my other child is 14 (both girls). What do you all suggest, besides Carcassonne, as some good games to see if they enjoy the mechanic?

I would prefer a 30 to 60 minute game (nothing crazy long) and something that has a good theme to catch their attention.

Thanks!
Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Croswell
United States
heath
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is Mint Works. It's a small worker placement game that plays well.
It is currently getting a second printing as part of the Mint Delivery kickstarter going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Ryan
msg tools
Thanks for affirming what I thought about that game. I am backing the Kickstarter, but the May 2018 delivery date has me itching for something a little sooner.

I'm glad to hear that Mint Works is recommended though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try My First Stone Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 7 and 12 year olds have played Agricola Family Edition with me a few times - it is a much simpler/streamlined version of the Use Rosenberg classic...it also scales well from 1 to 4 people so you can play on your own if no one is wanting to play with you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
Aquaretto could work. Somewhat similar to Carcassonne, but arguably more interesting gameplay and accessible topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's wrong with Lords of Waterdeep?

My personal favorite worker placement game thus far is Le Havre but it's 1 hour per player so a three player game is 3 hours long. You'll never miss the time though. I played a 4 player game and no one realized how long the game took until it was over. The only down side is, that in a two player game, you'll likely demolish an inexperienced player.

Really anything by Uwe Rosenberg is safe bet. Even better, most, if not all, his worker placement games play fantastic solo.

Guilds of London is also pretty cool and only about 60 an hour long once you get the hang of it. The designer also put up a solo variant in the game's forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will S
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The good news is: if your wife says she doesn't like worker placement because of Carcassonne, you can probably still get her into worker placement games since Carcassonne is basically area control and tile laying.

+1 to My First Stone Age. Although to me it sounds like your daughters are probably ready for just regular old Stone Age.

And then there is always Caylus. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a very easy, family-oriented worker placement game check out Fabled Fruit. Not sure if it has enough "meat" for you, though.
Considering the ages of your kids Stone Age would be more appropriate than My First Stone Age. However, it will run more like 90 minutes especially in the beginning.
Another family-friendly worker placement game is Fresco although it is a bit light in the theme department.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne is not really a worker placement game at all. Also, anecdotally, my partners don't particularly like Carcassonne but do like Lords of Waterdeep.

Speaking of which, Lords of Waterdeep would probably me my suggestion. A 10-year-old with some experience with games could pick it up no problem, and there aren't the punitive pitfalls that some other worker placement games have. *cough Agricola cough* The only thing I'd be concerned about is the intrigue cards, and you could easily play with them face up so they feel okay asking what things do.

Of course, you know your kids best and if you think LoW wouldn't work for them, I'd go either with the family Agricola or regular Stone Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
You may want to try Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Nuss
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
will98683 wrote:
Although to me it sounds like your daughters are probably ready for just regular old Stone Age.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have an 11-year-old son and 13-year-old daughter. Lords of Waterdeep is definitely the best gateway worker placement game. I think it is more engaging than Stone Age. The family version of Agricola, new edition Agricola, or Caverna with basic room set-up, while more complex strategically than LoW to do well, is approachable and thematic, and will ultimately provide a deeper game as they become more experienced. My kids love collecting animals, even if they're just cubes.

For tile-laying games that are more engaging than Carcassonne for pre-teens, I would suggest Suburbia or Castles of Mad King Ludwig, depending on which matches their tastes better. Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King is also great.

But if my wife didn't enjoy worker placement games, I would look at other options that are similar but technically not worker placement, like Above and Below/Near and Far. So many great family games to choose from, and most work best with 4, so personally I'd find ones all 4 of you would enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Ryan
msg tools
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'll have to take some time to look into each one.

I like Lords of Waterdeep, and I was already thinking about buying the physical version, but I wanted something that I could have a different experience with in the meantime. I'll keep that in mind though.

Thanks again, all!

Edit-One game I wanted to ask about, and I may have missed it in the suggestions, was Caverna: Cave vs. Cave. I know it is a 2 player max game, but what are thoughts on that as an introduction to Caverna down the road?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Newhero
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne isn't a worker placement game really. Cacao however is a tile laying worker placement (esque?) game that is kid friendly and from the same designer of Sushi Go.

There is also Gear & Piston and Steam Works if I remembered those right, but those are less kid friendly.

You could also try Tokaido, not close to Worker Placement, but closer then Carcassonne I feel. Great theme, pretty art work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthiasfan wrote:
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'll have to take some time to look into each one.

I like Lords of Waterdeep, and I was already thinking about buying the physical version, but I wanted something that I could have a different experience with in the meantime. I'll keep that in mind though.

Thanks again, all!

Edit-One game I wanted to ask about, and I may have missed it in the suggestions, was Caverna: Cave vs. Cave. I know it is a 2 player max game, but what are thoughts on that as an introduction to Caverna down the road?

Don't know about that, but the 2 player version of Agricola - All Creatures Big and Small - is relatively straight forward as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthiasfan wrote:

Thanks again, all!

I read something earlier today that addressed the Cave vs. Cave. The individual said it takes almost as long as standard Caverna 2 player. They further advised they like regular Caverna better. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthiasfan wrote:
Hello all!

I enjoy worker placement games such as Lords of Waterdeep (I have LoWD on Steam and ios, but no physical board) and Carcassonne. I tried to introduce my family to Carcassonne, but to my dismay, they were not hooked as I was.

My wife stated that she does not enjoy worker placement games, so I am trying to get my kids hooked so I have someone to play with.

One of my children is 10 years old and my other child is 14 (both girls). What do you all suggest, besides Carcassonne, as some good games to see if they enjoy the mechanic?

I would prefer a 30 to 60 minute game (nothing crazy long) and something that has a good theme to catch their attention.

Thanks!
Greg

My kids played and enjoyed Lords of Waterdeep right around that age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Long
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fresco (super cheap on Amazon right now)

+1 Agricola: Family Edition (because regular Agricola is too long and involved for what you're after)

+1 Stone Age (as others have noted: regular, not "My First")

+1 Lords of Waterdeep (if they'll dig the D&D theme)

And if you can get them hooked on worker placement games, go with Keyflower, all the way home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
Champions of midgard is thematic and fun.

While not considered a worker placement game, I think you might still enjoy above and below. It has art, theme, and even some story to engage the kids, and has gameplay that you may enjoy that will remind you of worker placement games while still being more of an "action point allowance" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sinnylong wrote:
Fresco (super cheap on Amazon right now)

+1 Agricola: Family Edition (because regular Agricola is too long and involved for what you're after)

+1 Stone Age (as others have noted: regular, not "My First")

+1 Lords of Waterdeep (if they'll dig the D&D theme)

And if you can get them hooked on worker placement games, go with Keyflower, all the way home.

Just to note about Fresco, because I considered suggesting and decided not to:

1) It's not technically a worker placement, although it has a similar feel, so it might satisfy your itch for a wp and still be okay for your wife who says she doesn't like wp games.

2) The board does contain nudity done in a classical art style. This may or may not be an issue for you or your kids.

That being said, my youngest really enjoys playing Fresco (he first played it around 11 y.o.), and it's a solid rec.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Long
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elankat wrote:

1) It's not technically a worker placement, although it has a similar feel, so it might satisfy your itch for a wp and still be okay for your wife who says she doesn't like wp games.

2) The board does contain nudity done in a classical art style. This may or may not be an issue for you or your kids.

That being said, my youngest really enjoys playing Fresco (he first played it around 11 y.o.), and it's a solid rec.

1) I suppose that's true, in the strictest sense of the definition, but it sure feels just like worker placement, as you deploy your apprentice work force to various tasks around the board. It's action selection with worker placement , yeah?

2) Good point. I forget sometimes that we don't have problems with that in our family. We do curb violence when it comes to our kids, but not nudity (especially of this variety). Guess we're not very American in that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sinnylong wrote:
Elankat wrote:

1) I suppose that's true, in the strictest sense of the definition, but it sure feels just like worker placement, as you deploy your apprentice work force to various tasks around the board. It's action selection with worker placement , yeah?

2) Good point. I forget sometimes that we don't have problems with that in our family. We do curb violence when it comes to our kids, but not nudity (especially of this variety). Guess we're not very American in that way.

I totally agree that it feels like a worker placement even though it's technically simultaneous action selection. I just felt the need to mention that and the nudity because those are reasons I decided not to post it in my recommendation, even though I think it's a great choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Elankat wrote:
sinnylong wrote:
Elankat wrote:

I totally agree that it feels like a worker placement even though it's technically simultaneous action selection. I just felt the need to mention that and the nudity because those are reasons I decided not to post it in my recommendation, even though I think it's a great choice.

Worker placement is fundamentally a form of action drafting, which is what you do in Fresco. So... you could make a pretty strong case that it is in fact worker placement, just where you place your workers simultaneously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmonaut Zero wrote:
Elankat wrote:
sinnylong wrote:
Elankat wrote:

Worker placement is fundamentally a form of action drafting, which is what you do in Fresco. So... you could make a pretty strong case that it is in fact worker placement, just where you place your workers simultaneously.

Yes, but if you call it a worker placement, you'll get the influx of people pointing out that it's technically not since it's simultaneous.

OMG I AM NOW ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE!!! surprisewowwowcrycrycry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.