1 Posts

UNO» Forums » Variants

Subject: A new variant for new action selection. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thong Anderson
Vietnam
flag msg tools
Uno has always been a simple game of luck, where you draw when you dont have the requirement card while you try to discard all your hand. These create a loop that, in every game, after like 15 minutes, I help the lead to win to end the game early. It how hopeless the game can be.
This is a variant that expanding player ability to choose better action.

I. Background
Just for a small note. The rule we usually use is: If you dont have the card matching the current card, you keep drawing until you are able to play them.

This how hopeless the almost-win player is. There is noway they can increase the odd of winning. And now introduce one way to.

II. New Rule
In one player turn, he/she may choose an action to do:
1. Play a card that connects with the center card.
2. Drawing a/many card(s).
That is the old rule. There are three new actions added in this variant.
3. Play a number card in front of you and draw a card. You cannot perform this if there is a card in front of you.
4. Play a number card that has the same number with a card in front of another player and discard both cards. You cannot perform this if there is a card in front of you.
5. Take back the card in front of you to your hand and draw two cards. You can only do this action if there is a card in front of you.

And finally, even with no cards on your hand, you cannot win if there is card in front of you.

III. Impact

So now there are always more action you can do.
If you has no suitable card, you can either perform action 2 or either 3 or 5.

Using action 2:
Advantage: Increase your hand size quickly.
Disadvantage: May increase too much.

Using action 3:
Advantage: Decrease the number of cards i need to draw to exactly one.
Disadvantage: Limiting my access to 3 and 4, and may require an action 5 to win. Open chances other can do an action 4 on you, increasing their chance of winning.

Using action 5:
Advantage: Make sure you dont depend on other to win, yet not allow any body to do a 4 on you, decrease their action selection pool. Gain access to action 3 and 4, close access to 5.
Disadvantage: You increase your hand size by 3, and miss the opportunity someone will solve the win condition without losing a turn and gain 2 new cards.
When you can play cards you may do action 4. Because:

Using action 4:
Advantage: Decrease one action choice of other players on the target.
Disadvantage: The target is closer to the winning position.

As you can see, the game is much more complicated now. You now not only care about how many cards they have in their hand, but how your action would impact the whole game and what they do in future.
Would you do an action 3 to keep the hand size, but limit your options while expanding others.
Would you help the target discard their front card, in order that other may not?
Would I still perform the action 3 although I can the action 1.
Because I know he has lots of Blue Card, and once I limit his choice, he must do an action 4, win-win.
Why would he do an action 3 with a Blue Card? Does he has a lot of Blues?

With this variant, there are now more actions player can choose from. Larger action pool and more cards revealed means more information, that players can deduce the current situation, allow more strategy, less random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.