Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
Düsseldorf
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi guys,
just a short question regarding the expansion card "Cursed Doll".

It reads in the bottom of the card "(Pay 2 Coins when a Cursed Doll is in your hand): The player to your left acquires a Cursed Doll from your hand."

Not sure how to play it though. Do I have to play the card into my field (hence ending one string) in order to activate the mentioned effect and use it to let the player on the left acquire a second doll in my hand.

Or can I use this ability directly from my hand and give the one doll i have to the player on the left. Just wondered, if that would be the case, why they dont have written "The player to your left acquires THIS CARD from your hand" on the card. Instead it says >A< cursed doll.

Well, i'm no native speaker, so maybe it's an easy question for you
Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on text you don't play Cursed Doll into your field. So you use the ability directly from hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Negative Zero
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
It has the specific wording it does because its ability can be triggered while it's in your hand. Otherwise you would have to play it to pass it on, but it would no longer be in your hand once you played it (i.e. you'd need to have two to be able to pass one).

The imprecise wording (that it doesn't say the player to the left acquires *this* card) is because if you have two, you could theoretically activate one card's ability to pass the other card. I can't see a situation where it'd matter, but that's why it's written that way.

When I did the pasteups for the Japanese version IIRC I completely rewrote this card effect because it was IMO kind of confusing. "When this card is in your hand, you may pay (2) to place it in the discard pile of the player to your left." Same effect, but much clearer usage, though it does lose the fact the player to the left is acquiring the card not just taking it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Düsseldorf
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the quick help guys! @NegativeZero: I do like your paste-up text much more than the original one - it is indeed much clearer. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The card should say "[hand activation ability]" before "(Pay 2 Coins..."

I wonder why it doesn't? There is definitely room if you make the text slightly smaller, and there are several cards with much smaller text than this. Another errata imminent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.