Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Wiik
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Having read the rules, errata, clarifications, and this forum, I remain confused about exactly when leaders become inactive.

At first I thought Corps leaders only became inactive when activating their Corps (or elements thereof). But the NSBM_clarifications document seems to suggest that Leaders become inactive when they move, via the paragraph on 9.1.2a rule (Lee to the rear!) which it applies only to inactive leaders. I would think that if a Leader is with a unit in an area, and that area is activated to move a single unit, the Leader could accompany the unit whether or not the Leader is inactive or not, and not become inactive as a result.

Further I thought that if an army leader activated an area to move all units therein, a Corps leader would not flip to inactive at the end of such a move.

So there are a couple of cases I would like to confirm:

1) A leader who moves by any means whatsoever becomes inactive. Is that correct?

2) A Corps leader who begins in a contested area which is then activated by the Army leader to assault the enemy in that area, is that Corps leader then flipped to inactive? Would it matter if the Leader lends his +1 to participate in the battle or not?

Finally, a clarification on Rout. If a Rout result takes place due to an area being activated by an Army leader, does the Army leader not get flipped to inactive? It just seems a bit weird that a courier would scurry back to a distant Army commander, who, upon learning of the Rout, is so pleased with himself that he can issue another assault order that day.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Rohrbaugh
msg tools
designer
publisher
1. Leaders become deactivated/ehausted per 9.6. There have been no changes to this rule set. Movement is not the only means by which a leader becomes deactivated, and please note that per 9.1.2a even an exhausted leader can be moved out of an area when friendly units move out to prevent from being "abandoned".

2. Per 9.6, second bullet, the Corps leader would be deactivated/exhausted if Corps leader's DRM was used in the Assault. If the DRM wasn't used, and Corps leader did not move, then that Corps leader does not become deactivated/exhausted (and can be used to activate units again later in the turn if the opportunity arises).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wiik
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks. This makes it more clear.

If an army leader activates an area to move any/or all units, any Corps leaders therein would be deactivated if moved or even selected to participate in an assault (by adding in their DRM as you specified).

Presumably, one might have 2 corps & their leaders in an area, making a combined assault via activation by an army leader. One of the Corps leaders could add in his DRM, while the other waits to possibly activate after the battle, perhaps advancing elements of his corps into an adjacent area. Or, both leaders could choose not to participate, allowing each to activate on a further impulse.

I'm still a bit stuck on the Rout exception though. While perhaps unlikely to happen in an already contested area due to (again, likely) presence of enemy entrenchments, it still seems a tad unrealistic to have an army commander far from the battle not become inactive on a Rout. One might have a house rule that the Rout exception must happen to a leader present in the area, & so could only happen to an army leader if he was present in (or, say, adjacent to) the area under assault. (Perhaps the army leader is fed up with all the insubordination & squabbling & decides to order the divisional commanders directly)

I have played few Civil War games, & only a couple ACW games at an operational level. Really like how this game includes tactical considerations though they only become clear once the (perhaps at first glance) cumbersome rules become apparent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
House rules are fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.