Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do you remove retirement cards for classes you have unlocked? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Moore
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I have seen that for some classes there are multiple retirement goal cards (different ways) to unlock that one class. When you unlock a class should you remove all other versions of that class card from the retirement goal cards? It seems like it would be kind of lame if you keep drawing the same classes that you have already unlocked for your retirement goal unless you have already unlocked everything. How do other players handle this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have just been following the rules as printed, when I retired my Scoundrel I didn't unlock a new class. You get a bonus side mission and a random item card added to deck if you unlock a already unlocked character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Hubble
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Personally I have houseruled my game so that when a player picks a personal quest, they go through the quest deck and remove the quest that unlocks the same thing (without looking at the others). I have players do this when they pick a quest, not when they complete one. This ensures that no two players are ever working toward the same goal. I realize that you'll get a new item and scenario if you unlock a class someone else already has, but that's a major letdown compared to an entirely new class. Once we've unlocked all classes then we will go back and do the goals we previously skipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassio Santos Pereira
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, we plan on doing the same. It sounds to me that you would miss opportunities for doing random scenarios and adding items to the market otherwise.

Apocalypse Dude wrote:
We have just been following the rules as printed, when I retired my Scoundrel I didn't unlock a new class. You get a bonus side mission and a random item card added to deck if you unlock a already unlocked character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Moore
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Ah, gotcha! I think I missed that rule. Good to know! I kind of like the houserule idea too. I will check with my group and take a vote. Thanks for the input all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also a couple classes that get unlocked by hitting certain amount of positive or negative reputation that do not get unlocked via retirement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmad Siddiqi
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
William, those classes can also be unlocked via retirement.

We've generally followed the rules, but allowed people redraws if they weren't happy with either quest they drew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
After I had consecutive retirement unlocks pre-empted (on one of them I played the Sun symbol class, which we had unlocked by reputation, and on one I just played the Scoundrel) I asked for the duplicates of the rest of my party to be pulled so that whatever class I got next would at least be mine (since I own the game after all, I wanted to unlock at least ONE class with a quest!!). That's the only time that we did any jiggering of the rules on retirement quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ahmadms wrote:
William, those classes can also be unlocked via retirement.

We've generally followed the rules, but allowed people redraws if they weren't happy with either quest they drew.

My bad, none of those retirement goals have appeared yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.