Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

V-Commandos» Forums » Rules

Subject: Standard vs. Silent (Sniper) Weapons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused about the Sniper rifles. On p.20 under Standard Weapons, it says:
Quote:
Standard weapons are noisy; each use of such firearms make the shooter visable and triggers the alarm.


But under Silent Weapons, it says:
Quote:
Unlike standard weapons, sniper rifles do not make their user automatically visible. The snipers using scoped rifles are experts in camouflage. However, these are noisy weapons that trigger the alarm when they are used.


So, the first sentence ("unlike standard weapons") sounds like you can be spotted for even carryingstandard weapons, but I can't find that referenced anywhere.

And the last sentence sounds like the sniper rifles (which DO have an alarm symbol on them) aren't silent when used.

So what am I missing? Does "use of such firearms" mean even carrying them? If not, what is the advantage of the sniper rifles, i.e., the Springfield. I'm sure something is just escaping my notice somewhere.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The ! symbol means if you fire you are made visible. If you become visible, the alarm will automatically go off.

So you are spotted if the weapon has the ! symbol and you fire it; you are not spotted if you are just carrying it but don't fire.

If the weapon doesn't have the ! symbol, but does have the alarm symbol (i.e. sniper rifle), then if you fire, the alarm goes off but the character firing the sniper rifle remains hidden.

Hope this helps.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galati
United States
Manalapan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carmilla wrote:
I'm confused about the Sniper rifles. On p.20 under Standard Weapons, it says:
Quote:
Standard weapons are noisy; each use of such firearms make the shooter visable and triggers the alarm.


But under Silent Weapons, it says:
Quote:
Unlike standard weapons, sniper rifles do not make their user automatically visible. The snipers using scoped rifles are experts in camouflage. However, these are noisy weapons that trigger the alarm when they are used.


So, the first sentence ("unlike standard weapons") sounds like you can be spotted for even carryingstandard weapons, but I can't find that referenced anywhere.

And the last sentence sounds like the sniper rifles (which DO have an alarm symbol on them) aren't silent when used.

So what am I missing? Does "use of such firearms" mean even carrying them? If not, what is the advantage of the sniper rifles, i.e., the Springfield. I'm sure something is just escaping my notice somewhere.


I don't have the rulebook in front of me but carrying the weapon does not cause you to become visible only when you fire it. The sniper rifle will cause the alarm to go off and add extra German units to the area with the alarm but those soldiers cannot spot you and fire on you like standard weapons. Basically when you use the sniper rifle they are assuming you are in hiding. So you kill a soldier and the alarm is sounding but they can't find where the shot is coming from. As for the standard weapons you have to be up close when you shoot and the the German's can see you as you are firing losing your stealthy ability.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
Does using a noisy weapon make you visible if nobody is around to see you after your victim perishes?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gylthinel wrote:
Does using a noisy weapon make you visible if nobody is around to see you after your victim perishes?



Yep! Always the same, use a noisy weapon then you become visible.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galati
United States
Manalapan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
Gylthinel wrote:
Does using a noisy weapon make you visible if nobody is around to see you after your victim perishes?



Yep! Always the same, use a noisy weapon then you become visible.


But I believe in the rulebook it states that you become stealthy again of there are no visible enemies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud de la Touanne
Canada
Montréal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedi Ram wrote:
reverendunclebastard wrote:
Gylthinel wrote:
Does using a noisy weapon make you visible if nobody is around to see you after your victim perishes?



Yep! Always the same, use a noisy weapon then you become visible.


But I believe in the rulebook it states that you become stealthy again of there are no visible enemies.


Nope, Reverend Uncle Bastard has the correct answer. The only ways to be stealthy again is to move to another tile or wear a German uniform (with no enemy on your tile).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.