Subject: Magnetizing Monsters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Vaccaro
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone considered the feasibility of magnetizing the parts of monsters that can get removed during a battle? Using the White Lion as an example, there are several parts that can get knocked off: the jaw, claw, tail, and...testes...to name a few.

The tail seems like a prime candidate. By cutting through the tail about 1/3 of the way from the base, it seems like magnets could be inserted. Yeah, there would be an extra line on the model, but I think the tangible extraction of the resource would far outweigh the decline in visuals.

The other parts look like worse candidates, though might also be possible.

I dunno. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have such good news for you, my friend!

Magnetizing Kingdom Death Monster Survivors - A Primer

Edit: I could have sworn your question was answered here, but glancing through it again now, maybe no? Good place to start, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
Nice idea. I've seen some pretty mangled lions. You could even paint a nice little gore effect on the magnetized surfaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vaccaro
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@amyotheramy Thanks for the follow up! I have already purchased the magnets outlined in that article. (Side note - "Magnet Opus" - how great is that?) I'm just thinking now if it's worth going above and beyond the scope of just the survivors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this weird dream where a guy suggested to make a lion puppet with detachable testicles...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vaccaro
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@tumorous Thanks! As much as I like painting, and I do, I'm already stressed about the huge undertaking. At least effects can be applied after the initial layers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning to do this, and I might do survivors as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cook
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Are the models designed in a way that will let them come apart to allow this? While it sounds really neat, you may have to cut up a lot of your expensive model in ways it wasn't designed for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vaccaro
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's kind of what I was thinking. It's a toss up. On one hand, there are already many seams which are hidden with a mote of green stuff and a steady hand. A sharp knife and a clean cut would be almost invisible, and if someone did notice, they'd probably think it was awesome that the <BIOLOGY DELETED> just pop off like that. On the other hand, you can't un-cut something, so it's a commitment.

Although I think the plastic glue may actually un-cut...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Here's my concern: If you magnetize your armor kit survivors, and you lose a head or an arm or something, it will suck. You put all that work into mounting the magnets and painting it! However, you will have dozens of other magnetized heads and arms, plus plenty of spare heads and arms and weapons still on the sprues that you haven't gotten around to, plus your narrative sculpts. You can replace it relatively easily.

If you magnetize your white lion, and you lose its strange hand or fuzzy groin, you will have no easy way to replace it. White lion/starting survivor sprues are one to a core game box. Poots has never sold them separately, except for a resin version that vanished pretty fast. If that holds true, the only way to get spare parts for a white lion will to pay hundreds for another core game (if it is in stock) or find someone willing to part with theirs (good luck...folks planning to sell the minis from their core game often mention they will keep the lion and starting survivors).

The screaming antelope, the king's hand, the kingsman, and the butcher will be similarly hard to find spare parts for. The phoenix and watcher might be a liiiiitle easier, since I there's still a number of folks who got the bonus box in the first kickstarter and haven't built their spares. (I'm one!)

I hope that Adam will start to maintain a stock of spare sprues someday. Until then, guard your white lion minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
emmit svenson wrote:

The screaming antelope, the king's hand, the kingsman, and the butcher will be similarly hard to find spare parts for. The phoenix and watcher might be a liiiiitle easier, since I there's still a number of folks who got the bonus box in the first kickstarter and haven't built their spares. (I'm one!)

I hope that Adam will start to maintain a stock of spare sprues someday. Until then, guard your white lion minis.

The survivor box from the first KS contained 5 Kingsmen and they have actually been sold separately since then, so they should be easy to find. The others not so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Forgot about the extra kingsmen! I assembled my extras with the notion that I could paint them as practice for the rest of my minis. Discovered that I don't like painting nearly as much as assembling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
drew reilly
United States
Middeltown
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
Emmit, I'm one of those folks...My lion got bumped and hit the floor and the right rear claw went flying off into the chaos of by basement...It's gone. I haven't a clue other than sculpting something out of green stuff how to replace that darned little bit. And I know it will wind up an ugly blob because I've never done anything with GS other than fill gaps before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
justdrew wrote:
Emmit, I'm one of those folks...My lion got bumped and hit the floor and the right rear claw went flying off into the chaos of by basement...It's gone. I haven't a clue other than sculpting something out of green stuff how to replace that darned little bit. And I know it will wind up an ugly blob because I've never done anything with GS other than fill gaps before.

Give him a little hook instead. Arrrr.

Edit: Oh, rear claw. Make it a wooden peg instead. Arrrr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giancarlo Amente
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
...because if I can't win, you can't either! :)
badge
OH...OH...OH....OH...OVERTEXT!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahaha. Have some geek gold for the funnies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.