Subject: Going exhausted... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sakari Laiho
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is it that I find spending cards and going exhausted after cannot get two cards - rules quite odd.

If I just wander with others using normal movement all the time - nobody should go exhausted - and these are HEROES.

So would it be better, if you use normal movement to just get one card back to your hand, like "resting" because it does not actually take so much your hero's energy. I know u use other card too and there can be healing or some kind of spell, but ... I just thought something should be done for the system were, if you are left behind and walk rest of the scenario - suddenly you exhaust/die when just walking. It's not realistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
msg tools
What you are proposing radically changes the balance of the game. Classes are balanced around their hand size, ability to recover cards, and how often they have to lose cards for big effects. Just because you're a hero doesn't mean you don't ever get tired out.

If you really feel strongly about it, go ahead with the house rule, but don't be surprised if the game becomes too easy because of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Filla
United States
Hales Corners
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This feels like a change of such a magnitude that you should probably just play a different game at that point. This is a key mechanic of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli K.
msg tools
mbmb
It is realistic if you consider your hand cards as your stamina ... if your stamina runs out you get exhausted. Nothing illogical there ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sakari Laiho
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too easy... well you can always get monsters higher level. And it's not still realistic if you walk before others and go tired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trang VP
Australia
flag msg tools
It seems the source of the lack of realism is your interpretation that "normal movement" is walking. I'm not sure what makes you think this, as there's nothing in the game that I can see to suggest it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TrangVP wrote:
It seems the source of the lack of realism is your interpretation that "normal movement" is walking. I'm not sure what makes you think this, as there's nothing in the game that I can see to suggest it.

This! "walking" battleready and checking for traps and ambushes in a suit of armour is no, er, walk in the park...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sauce
United States
West Chester
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think about it like a hero taking a knee, with an arrow in his chest or gash on his thigh, and the other heroes stop to try and help him up, and he looks up and says "Go on without me, you guys got this!"

I am sure you non nuanced view of a "hero" includes this trope. It is almost every action hero movie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Echenique
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

It also has to be said...

Noitamies wrote:
and these are HEROES.

I always thought they weren't quite so "classically heroic", more like a loose association of everyday misfits who circumstance shoved together. The scenario books tend to refer to them as mercenaries trying to scrape enough money for the next meal.

Gloomhaven isn't a power fantasy, I think the exhaustion mechanic (and the whole make-or-break mad dash at the end of most sessions) fits very well with the gritty, almost noir setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say, these aren't heroes, they're mercenaries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.