Bottom of the 9th» Forums » Rules

Subject: Taking a pitch? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gary johnson

Raymore
Missouri
msg tools
I'm pretty sure the batter has to roll for the swing on every pitch. They have to earn a Ball through their roll. In other words, the batter can't simply take the pitch when the pitcher rolls a B and skip the Swing roll, right?

Sorry for asking the obvious (there's nothing in the rulebook about not rolling during the Swing phase), but I just watched a walkthrough video where the guy doing the video seemed to think the batter CAN take a rolled B as a ball.

That got me doubting how I've been playing ...

Help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do believe that both players have to roll and the results have to be applied.

You can always house rule that the batter can just take a strike, but that would require some decision making about when that is called.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
garyjgeoaccess wrote:
I'm pretty sure the batter has to roll for the swing on every pitch. They have to earn a Ball through their roll. In other words, the batter can't simply take the pitch when the pitcher rolls a B and skip the Swing roll, right?

Sorry for asking the obvious (there's nothing in the rulebook about not rolling during the Swing phase), but I just watched a walkthrough video where the guy doing the video seemed to think the batter CAN take a rolled B as a ball.

That got me doubting how I've been playing ...

Help?

Unless the batter has a Trait or Ability that states otherwise, you must roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary johnson

Raymore
Missouri
msg tools
Thought so. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soto Sano
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
K.C. Petty has the trait that he can take the pitch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Arnold
Canada
Halifax
NS
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the pitcher rolled a B6, and so there wasn't any point to the batter rolling. No matter what they rolled, it would be a ball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.