Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, playing a learning game.

US has Covert Action (2) with 1 OPS in reserve.

a) 3 cells traveled to US and activated previous turn. US Passes.
b) Next Jihadist turn, Card 1, places a single Plot (WMD).
c) Card 2, Jihadist tries Plot again and places a second single Plot (WMD).

Seeing as all I can do is use my 3 OPS to Alert only one of the Plots and they both were WMD's, end result is Big baddah Boom?

Edit: Fixed the accounting so it followed the rules. I'm old...memory not perfect. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
Ok, playing a learning game. OS has Covert Action (2) with 1 OPS in reserve. 3 cells traveled to US and activated previous turn, placing a single Plot (WMD).
Next Jihadist turn he tried Plot again and got 1 placed (WMD). Seeing as all I can do is use my 3 OPS to Alert only one of the Plots and they both were WMD's, end result is Big baddah Boom?

Yeah, I'm afraid it looks like it. US has to react to cells in the U.S., especially if Jihadist has WMDs.
BTW, what is "OS"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OS = US. typo.

Fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is also why Martyrdom Operations are so dangerous after the Jihadists take over Pakistan. Just won a game this way.

Still, WMD in the U.S. is not an easy route to victory. First you gotta secure the WMDs. Then you gotta get a cell into the U.S. Then it needs to survive there. Then it must successfully plot. Then the U.S. must have not alerted the WMD plot. If all the ducks aren't lined up, no big boom.

Labyrinth does a great job of creating the urgency of dealing with such a possibility though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
Ok, playing a learning game. US has Covert Action (2) with 1 OPS in reserve. 3 cells traveled to US and activated previous turn, placing a single Plot (WMD).
Next Jihadist turn he tried Plot again and got 1 placed (WMD). Seeing as all I can do is use my 3 OPS to Alert only one of the Plots and they both were WMD's, end result is Big baddah Boom?

Not sure I can follow your timing... I read your posting as follows:

AR x Jihad: Move 3 cells to US, place WMD plot.
AR x US: ?
AR x+1 Jihad: Place _another_ WMD plot so that two WMD plots are now in the US.
AR x+1 US: US needs to alert twice to remove both WMDs.

However, why didn't the first WMD go off at the end of AR x US? Plots will go off at the end of _every_ US action phase.
Either it went off then, ending the game immediately one AR earlier, or it was alerted which will remove the WMD plot. Then you'll have a 2-ops plus one reserve to alert the single WMD plot left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good eye for detail, Carsten. It's hard to tell from the wording used by the OP, but I think yours is a fair interpretation.

The only way it would be possible is if he moved the cells in a previous turn and then used the next turn's two Jihadist ARs to place the two Plot markers. But, I agree that's not how it reads, does it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was not completely clear to me on initial read, but after another read I think the OP meant the Jihadist placed one plot in each card play of his action round. After all, he does say U.S. is down to one card and reserves. The confusion comes from ill-advised use of the word "turn".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
That's a good eye for detail, Carsten. It's hard to tell from the wording used by the OP, but I think yours is a fair interpretation.

The only way it would be possible is if he moved the cells in a previous turn and then used the next turn's two Jihadist ARs to place the two Plot markers. But, I agree that's not how it reads, does it?

Right. Sorry. That is how it happened....my bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
htjester wrote:
It was not completely clear to me on initial read, but after another read I think the OP meant the Jihadist placed one plot in each card play of his action round. After all, he does say U.S. is down to one card and reserves. The confusion comes from ill-advised use of the word "turn".

No, what bugged me was this sentence:

Quote:
3 cells traveled to US and activated previous turn, placing a single Plot (WMD).

I don't know a way to travel three cells _and_ place a plot on one card.

However, he'd confirmed the travelling happened earlier and both WMDs got placed on consecutive card plays in one Jihadist action phase.
All is well, at least with regards to the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OP edited original post to reflect correct turn sequence.

Thanks!

I admit it was terrible play by US - I left myself with only a 2OPS card and 1 in reserve, but man-oh-man, to roll 2 "1"s for plot placement like that is hard to do. The Jihadist also got the benefit of drawing 2 additional cards (Abu Ghurayb?), so they had extra cards to play at the end of the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sucks when the dice gods have it in for you. That is not a bad gamble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
OP edited original post to reflect correct turn sequence.

Thanks!

I admit it was terrible play by US - I left myself with only a 2OPS card and 1 in reserve, but man-oh-man, to roll 2 "1"s for plot placement like that is hard to do. The Jihadist also got the benefit of drawing 2 additional cards (Abu Ghurayb?), so they had extra cards to play at the end of the turn.

Gosh I thought the first one was due to card play. Rolling two 1's in this situation was simply outrageous. Suggest to ignore this partner in the future!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest to show that die what might happen to it if in some unfortunate turn of events a sledgehammer might fall onto it... devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elihu Feustel
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Even without ideas, running a cell around Europe is pretty high priority, especially if the US is hard. It only takes one move op, and you can really screw up the world opinion for the US by testing new countries to soft.

If the US is soft, it's still worth parking a cell in a soft Schengen country, where Martydom ops might flip 1-2 countries to hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.