United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I've poked through the forums quite a bit, and watched a couple of non-spoiler video reviews. The game sounds very interesting. I couldn't, however, find an answer to the following question (maybe I didn't look hard enough). Is there a thematic reason given for why, if starting over after dying, my character now has a load of knowledge about the continent they didn't have when they attempted the quest the first time through? Time Stories, as I understand it, has this feature. I hope this does too, or it would strike me as much less satisfying to take two or three attempts to lift a curse.
Perhaps we are expected to fail the first time? That's fine, but for a game, which to me, seems very thematic, I would lose a lot of immersion if I suddenly had a non-thematic advantage on subsequent plays. I suppose one could say thematically when you're dead you wouldn't start over.
The same goes for subsequent curses. It the team being continuously cursed for some thematic reason?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think re-playing curses or playing new curses is considered a continuation of the same game/campaign. It's a completely new game, played as if previous games never happened. As to why you now know more about the island. Well, it's the same reason that when you re-play a video game (or restore from a save), you know what will happen for parts you played through before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hollow
msg tools
mb
As mentioned above the game basically resets after you lifted all your curses in a given playthrough (edit: or died trying), however, you have to remember that the game happened during your second visit to the 7th continent as they contracted a given curse the first time they voluntarily went there on an expedition.

Basically your knowledge of the continent can be explained as the explorers' memory of the first expedition. The more often you play, the more they will have retained from their first visit to the second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I didn't know the game took place thematically on the second visit. I suppose too you could just say you didn't really die. Perhaps the curse includes a provision you have to repeat everything until the curse is lifted, sort of like the movie Groundhog day. Are there any theme elements that would contradict that explanation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hollow
msg tools
mb
Well, there is an easy mode card that will effectively save you from death once.
And the different curse's start you off with different "getting there" stories and some might not work with the "having been there already" explanation. There are a lot of things that refer to the first expedition in the game. Things you can find you left before but forgot, etc.

if you want to roleplay a bit (which in my experience makes the game even greater) you could say things like "remember when we came by here on our first expedition? I think Keegan lost her notebook around here somewhere and we didn't have the time to look.. maybe we can find it now?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brackwater wrote:
Well, there is an easy mode card that will effectively save you from death once.

Do you start over in that case, or just continue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hollow
msg tools
mb
Beorndog wrote:
Brackwater wrote:

Do you start over in that case, or just continue?

You get restored to full health and continue. (if you're afraid of this being a spoiler: it's not really because when you decide to play easy mode you draw the card that allows you to do that and openly put it into your journal).

My point basically is: there is a revive mechanic in the game, so another revive mechanic to explain the reset might feel... a little off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your replies. They've been very informative. One more, theoretical, question. I'm notorious for house ruling heavily thematic cooperative games such as this one. Do you feel it would be workable to have a house rule mechanic where the penalty for dying is somewhat less than completely starting over? I suppose there must be, since there is an easy mode already, but I don't want to go as completely restoring health. I'm thinking something like losing a level or equipment, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beorndog wrote:
Thanks for your replies. They've been very informative. One more, theoretical, question. I'm notorious for house ruling heavily thematic cooperative games such as this one. Do you feel it would be workable to have a house rule mechanic where the penalty for dying is somewhat less than completely starting over? I suppose there must be, since there is an easy mode already, but I don't want to go as completely restoring health. I'm thinking something like losing a level or equipment, etc.

There aren't exactly levels, but there are experience points and things you buy with them. You coul forfeit those. Or "forget" things you learned about the island. There are plenty of discussions here in the forums about alternative easy modes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see that now. Thanks for the tip. I guess I should have just looked under variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
We touched on this in another thread.

Becq wrote:
PiHalbe wrote:
I have yet to start my second run on VG, but I intend on using my full knowledge about codes, geography, hints, hidden numbers and plants etc.

The way I marry this with my suspension of disbelief is that I assume that the last run was just a nightmarish fever-dream vision implanted by the curse that led my to mind-walking the continent. I know, it's an overused trope, but it works.

This time, I'm on the continent for real. Or am I?

Heck, since we're cursed, why not simply say that an aspect of that is that we're doomed to relive our time on the 7th Continent, over and over again until we somehow manage to find out how to break our curse? Each time we reawaken in the same place, remembering our previous successes and ultimate failure, and each time hopefully making us of the knowledge we've gathered in the hope that perhaps this time we'll succeed. Of course, then we find out that solving that first curse wasn't enough, and now we wake up somewhere else on the 7th Continent, again remembering our previous times there, but now with a new, unknown curse ... or maybe several! Will we ever escape? All we can do is keep trying to atone for whatever we did to become cursed in the first place...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PiHalbe wrote:
We touched on this in another thread.

Becq wrote:
PiHalbe wrote:
I have yet to start my second run on VG, but I intend on using my full knowledge about codes, geography, hints, hidden numbers and plants etc.

The way I marry this with my suspension of disbelief is that I assume that the last run was just a nightmarish fever-dream vision implanted by the curse that led my to mind-walking the continent. I know, it's an overused trope, but it works.

This time, I'm on the continent for real. Or am I?

Heck, since we're cursed, why not simply say that an aspect of that is that we're doomed to relive our time on the 7th Continent, over and over again until we somehow manage to find out how to break our curse? Each time we reawaken in the same place, remembering our previous successes and ultimate failure, and each time hopefully making us of the knowledge we've gathered in the hope that perhaps this time we'll succeed. Of course, then we find out that solving that first curse wasn't enough, and now we wake up somewhere else on the 7th Continent, again remembering our previous times there, but now with a new, unknown curse ... or maybe several! Will we ever escape? All we can do is keep trying to atone for whatever we did to become cursed in the first place...

The starting curse could be Groundhog's Day...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that the game's story is that you are returning to the island after a previous expedition kind of lends itself to a thematic explaination of why you may remember a thing or two about where things are in subsequent plays. I don't think that's explicitly stated in the book.

Also if you look through the forum there are at least a couple threads that were kind of spitballing ideas for houserule alternatives to the permadeath.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beorndog wrote:
Ah, I see that now. Thanks for the tip. I guess I should have just looked under variants.
If you do, you will find this discussion on "Nerfing Instant Loss".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.