Brian T
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
These are what I think I understand after playing through Quest I several times...

Criticals, Poisons, Suffering Damage, Lethal, Dominating, Focusing, and Certain Hits are all functionally the same. They all signal unblockable, unavoidable damage of some kind. The only damage that can be avoided is the damage dealt by dice rolls.

Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scooby Wan wrote:
These are what I think I understand after playing through Quest I several times...

Criticals, Poisons, Suffering Damage, Lethal, Dominating, Focusing, and Certain Hits are all functionally the same. They all signal unblockable, unavoidable damage of some kind. The only damage that can be avoided is the damage dealt by dice rolls.

Is this correct?

Criticals do not always result in damage.
Lethal can be stopped by Magical Shields.
Domination just provides 1 extra hit to your dice roll, which can be blocked as normal.
Focusing does the same.

So no, this kind of generalization is wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian T
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
Bowmangr wrote:

Criticals do not always result in damage.
Lethal can be stopped by Magical Shields.
Domination just provides 1 extra hit to your dice roll, which can be blocked as normal.
Focusing does the same.

So no, this kind of generalization is wrong.

*sigh* Is there a generalization that will make this easier for me to understand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian T
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
If this...

targets a character and has been 'imbued' (if that's the right term) with Critical, then a token is placed on the target (because it has a Certain Hit). The target can still block, with armor/shields, any hits that the attacker rolls but is still effected by anything on the token (Stunned, Blinded, K.O.'d, etc).
Have I gotten anything right yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian T
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
Is this scenario....
Focused Attack with a weapon granting 1 Certain Hit in a Dominated area where the attack dice roll = 0 Hits
...the same as...
a regular attack, where the Attack Dice roll = 3 Hits?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the weapon you posted, a Focused Attack in a Dominated area would indeed give you a minimum of 3 HITs (plus whatever the dice give you). Note that I'm using the word HIT in caps to stand in for the "hit icon" (that is the half circle + explosion icon in the picture you posted).

However, all three of those HITs would be defended against normally.

Basically, during a normal attack you generate HITs in several ways:

* Using the Focus Attack action before the attack begins grants +1 HIT
* Dominating an area grants a Supremacy bonus of +1 HIT
* Certain weapons will give you +X HITs, printed on the weapon (for instance 1 HIT on the Sword you posted)
* Weapons will often also specify a number of dice to roll, which can also generate HITs

All of these sources of HITs are defended against normally. The game is very consistent here: if you see the word "attack" or the HIT icon, then you can defend against it.

Damage, however, is different from HITs. When you "suffer damage" (or "suffer HEALTH", where HEALTH is the health icon), you immediately take that much damage without defending. There are a few other unblockable sources of damage:

* If you receive a Critical token that deals damage, you suffer that damage immediately
* If you receive a Body Condition (e.g. Poison; for full list see section 10.6 on p. 37 of the rulebook) and you already have a copy of that Body Condition, you immediately suffer 1 damage instead (identical Body Conditions do not stack)
* Poison (a Body Condition) and Fire (not a Body Condition! Fire tokens can stack!) can both deal you unblockable damage in the Time phase.

And a few that are semi-blockable:

* Lethal can make normal HITs unblockable by Armor and SHIELDs (Armor being the Armor value on your equipment, SHIELDs being generated typically by dice, but sometimes in other ways). However Lethal hits can be blocked by Magic Armor.
* The K.O. Body Condition negates your Armor value, but you still defend against hits with blue dice generated from your defense value (and Magic Armor, of course)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
msg tools
mbmb
Scooby Wan wrote:

*sigh* Is there a generalization that will make this easier for me to understand?

The quick reference sheet is really useful here.

Criticals:
If any crit damage is not blocked you draw a crit damage token (they do different thing written on the back of the token)

Poisons
Deals 1 damage per phase until successful save

Lethal
can t be stopped by shields (the passive defense printed as grey armor on equipment) but can be stopped by magical shield (green shield symbols)

Dominating, Focusing
Those increse total damage result but they can be stopped...

Ex take your usual tank with armor and shield.
He will have 1 grey armor symbol on the armor and one on the shield itself so he will be able to stop a total of 2 hits.

If the opponent makes 2 hits he will suffer 0 damage.
If the opponent dominate the area he will add 1 hit going to a total of 3...2 will be blocked so tank will suffer 1 damage.
He would add 1 more if enemy could focus but only heroes can.

Fire-poison (also critical if i remember well) are added effect you get the proper token if you suffer them disregarding if you took any damage...and they are effects or damage over time that can t be blocked (can be removed though with items or skills).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian T
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
VonDodo wrote:

Criticals:
If any crit damage is not blocked you draw a crit damage token (they do different thing written on the back of the token)

I thought Criticals were placed before the Defense Stage. Do you place them, apply effects, then backtrack and undo if they get blocked in the defense stage?

VonDodo wrote:

Poisons

Is that right? One damage in Time Phase, one damage in Battle Phase, one damage in Event Phase, rinse, repeat, die, resurrect...

VonDodo wrote:

Fire-poison (also critical if i remember well) are added effect you get the proper token if you suffer them disregarding if you took any damage...and they are effects or damage over time that can t be blocked (can be removed though with items or skills).

Eh? Criticals can be blocked, except when they can't?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian T
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
VonDodo wrote:
Lethal
can t be stopped by shields (the passive defense printed as grey armor on equipment) but can be stopped by magical shield (green shield symbols)

Shields and Armor are different, right?
KO ignores Armor
Lethal ignores Shields and Armor
Neither can ignore Magic Shields
Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian T
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
Skaak wrote:
...I'm using the word HIT in caps to stand in for the "hit icon"...

That, is the kind of clarity that makes me think learning this game is not a cavernous maw of despair. I was rereading things and replacing the word "HIT" with the phrase "hit icon". A few things became more clear less bang-my-head-against-the-tabley.

Skaak wrote:

And a few that are semi-blockable:

* Lethal can make normal HITs unblockable by Armor and SHIELDs (Armor being the Armor value on your equipment, SHIELDs being generated typically by dice, but sometimes in other ways). However Lethal hits can be blocked by Magic Armor.
* The K.O. Body Condition negates your Armor value, but you still defend against hits with blue dice generated from your defense value (and Magic Armor, of course)

Oh, this is clearer.
So it goes like this?
KO ignores Armor
Lethal ignores Armor and Shields

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scooby Wan wrote:
So it goes like this?
KO ignores Armor
Lethal ignores Armor and Shields

Exactly correct.

Scooby Wan wrote:
I thought Criticals were placed before the Defense Stage. Do you place them, apply effects, then backtrack and undo if they get blocked in the defense stage?

You are correct; criticals don't care if the HIT that allowed them to be applied is later blocked.

Scooby Wan wrote:
VonDodo wrote:

Poisons

Is that right? One damage in Time Phase, one damage in Battle Phase, one damage in Event Phase, rinse, repeat, die, resurrect...

Per section 10.6.3 on p. 38 of the rules, Poison only triggers during the Time Phase. So each Time Phase you take a wound (or two, for Poison II) then roll a save to see if the Poison token sticks around.

Scooby Wan wrote:
VonDodo wrote:

Eh? Criticals can be blocked, except when they can't?

I think VanDodo might have been trying to clarify the fact that most of these effects are applied regardless of whether the attack deals damage or not, and that several of them deal damage over time outside of combat.

The only way to avoid a Critical from an attack is either to have the attack generate absolutely no HITs at any point, or to avoid the attack entirely (you can do this with certain skills).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario de Dieguez
msg tools
What about the red gremlin spikes defense action. It says 1 damage but it could be blocked by magical shield or you get it no matter what?

I think it should be rename to 1 Lethal in that case

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bookout

Colorado
msg tools
Suffer = Damage is always taken. It is not an attack, and therefore defense does not apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
Lethal also ignores blue shields.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.