United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
I got War Eternal today and played the STOP A,B,C intro game.

Lost due to Gravehold reaching 0 when Umbra Titan still had 41 health.

Yeah... shake

Charges are more important than they used to be.

Yes, I know what I'm doing, I have a 60+% win percentage with random markets in the base Aeon's End.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am a Turtle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. I really like how synergistic the unique cards and the hero powers are for this expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats nice to hear. I always thought charges were underwhelming. Looking forward to trying my copy out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Charges always mattered.
Your character power is not to be taken lightly. I usually rush on charges endgame, especially with Reeve, Jian, Adelheim, Phaedraxa and cie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't tell you the makeup of the game anymore, but I know I've won base AE games without firing off a single player power. Sure, some of the mages have nice powers, but they weren't strictly necessary to win.

I know the STOP intro game in the base AE was pathetically easy. I guess I would have expected the same for War Eternal, since the intention is to "ease" the player into the game concepts.

Most of my AE games have come to the point where we fire off 4 or 5 powers before game end. We strategize where we place our "free" charges. But with the intro game for War Eternal, I was scrambling to get enough charges to not lose, having Gex and the Indian dude focus on their powers while Mist and the Assassin were keeping minions at bay. I started a little too late in my transition to charge building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Even in base AE, charges are important assuming you play on Hard. On Normal you can get away with a lot of suboptimal play, Hard forces you to step your game up. War Eternal is apparently a fair bit more difficult in general, both due to Nemesis difficulty and due to the player cards being more complex and requiring more skill to get the most out of (which makes sense, most of the playtesters have experience with the first installment), so it makes sense that it would be more demanding on using your abilities effectively.

It also helps that Umbra Titan is a far nastier introductory boss than Rageborne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
War Eternal is consistently a much harder experience, but offers more interesting and intricate tools to fight the new challenge.

And yes, charges will be almost necessary in order to play a few of the new mages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
It also helps that Umbra Titan is a far nastier introductory boss than Rageborne.

Umbra Titan a 3.
Rageborne is a 2.

Shouldn't be a big jump. Kevin was saying the difficulty scale should hold between the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
Even in base AE, charges are important assuming you play on Hard.

I don't want to have to min/max in order to win. Min/Maxing is not fun!

What is fun is playing with random markets and figuring out how to use the random tools to defeat the selected Nemesis.

I like to be able to make a mistake, realize I made a mistake, then still be able to have a chance to win after recovering from the mistake. Sure, I might still lose, but that's OK. The fun is in the comeback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
ampoliros wrote:
Ethereality wrote:
Even in base AE, charges are important assuming you play on Hard.

I don't want to have to min/max in order to win. Min/Maxing is not fun!

What is fun is playing with random markets and figuring out how to use the random tools to defeat the selected Nemesis.

I like to be able to make a mistake, realize I made a mistake, then still be able to have a chance to win after recovering from the mistake. Sure, I might still lose, but that's OK. The fun is in the comeback.

Hard still has room for error. Extinction is the mode for minmaxers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
Ethereality wrote:

Umbra Titan a 3.
Rageborne is a 2.

Shouldn't be a big jump. Kevin was saying the difficulty scale should hold between the two.

These ratings are complexity as much as they are difficulty.
Carapace Queen is a 3 but she's a brutal step up from Rageborne. Unless you figure her out she will repeatedly crush you. I'd expect the same from Umbra Titan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yea. The difficulty ratings are also a way to try to keep new players from playing the more complicated nemeses. We tried to make the more complicated nemeses more challenging in general but sometimes more challenging meant problems elsewhere...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Difficulty varies by market/mage setup as well. Prince of Gluttons without Gravehold healing is a much, much harder fight than with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
His tier 2 is all minions so if you don't build up damage fast you're in trouble. I like how different Prince of Gluttons is in that regard. He definitly needs a different approach than, say, Blight Lord (who's a pain with a single character!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played intro setup last night with two mages - the one with trophy points, and Mist, I think. I didn't use her charges at all (I did give her one for....reasons) but I used the other one's power more than once.
I had a similar experience in base game - some characters are no brainers to build up charges, others I built them if I had extra Ether then found out the power was useful.
Great game so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't load charges on Kadir you're doing something wrong. I'll leave it at that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Champagne
United States
Mobile
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
Ethereality wrote:

Umbra Titan a 3.
Rageborne is a 2.

I'm new to the game, but based on what I've read in forums I essentially add 0.5 to whatever the difficulty rating for a WE nemesis is. Rageborne was a cakewalk. Carapace Queen was a challenge, but manageable. Next up, Umbra Titan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JorduSpeaks wrote:
ampoliros wrote:
Ethereality wrote:

Umbra Titan a 3.
Rageborne is a 2.

I'm new to the game, but based on what I've read in forums I essentially add 0.5 to whatever the difficulty rating for a WE nemesis is. Rageborne was a cakewalk. Carapace Queen was a challenge, but manageable. Next up, Umbra Titan!

Don't let Umbra play you. Removing nemesis tokens from Umbra is rarely a good idea though you'll want to do it all the time. Resist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
ralsar wrote:
JorduSpeaks wrote:
ampoliros wrote:
Ethereality wrote:

Umbra Titan a 3.
Rageborne is a 2.

Don't let Umbra play you. Removing nemesis tokens from Umbra is rarely a good idea though you'll want to do it all the time. Resist!

The only nemesis token that's a bad idea to remove is the last. Or technically the nth-from-the-last where n is the number of turns it will take you to kill the Demi-Ancient. Read the cards, know what effects can cause tokens to be removed, and make an educated decision. For example, if Cryptid is out, and your most expensive prepped spell would kill the Cryptid, lose the token. Don't lose unnecessary tokens, obviously, so make sure to block Seismic Roar, only attack the Vault Behemoth if you can kill it before the next nemesis turn, kill Tombfright/Demi-Ancient quickly, etc., but if it's between losing a few tokens and destroying expensive spells/exhausting players/bringing the Demi-Ancient back into play, etc., it's better to lose the tokens.

Losing a token on the Unleash is almost always a trap, though. Only do that if the alternative is exhausting a player (or worse, losing from Gravehold damage). Ultimately, the decision as to whether or not to lose tokens is the primary dynamic of the fight, if it was as easy a decision as "always" or "never", it wouldn't be a very well designed fight, would it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.