Subject: Sewer Movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Wille
Germany
Herford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it correct that a unit in a manhole location can enter the sewers and move to the next sewer location in a single MPh? The first sentence of B8.41 makes me think so.

I'm currently playing The Czerniakow Bridgehead, which has the regular Russian/Polish army and the Polish Partisans. Only the latter may enter the sewers. Then I read in A25.241: "Partisans that are moving as a combined stack together with non-Partisan units may endow the regular units with whatever SSR-endowed movement advantage they have".
Like sewer movement?

Why are there only four Sewer counters (Beyond Valor and Yanks combined)? I could need a lot more.

The Sewer Emergence Chart defines three states of a sewer-unit, which I determine at the end of their MPh. But there is no way to remember that state with a counter? How are you doing it? Turn the sewer-counter by 45 degrees when discovered, or something like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phxhf wrote:
Is it correct that a unit in a manhole location can enter the sewers and move to the next sewer location in a single MPh? The first sentence of B8.41 makes me think so.

Correct

Quote:

I'm currently playing The Czerniakow Bridgehead, which has the regular Russian/Polish army and the Polish Partisans. Only the latter may enter the sewers. Then I read in A25.241: "Partisans that are moving as a combined stack together with non-Partisan units may endow the regular units with whatever SSR-endowed movement advantage they have".
Like sewer movement?

Arguable

Quote:

Why are there only four Sewer counters (Beyond Valor and Yanks combined)? I could need a lot more.

you need Red Barricades I think, that had more. I don't recall ever running short of Sewer Counters, but a substitute counter could be easily had (Crest for example)

Quote:

The Sewer Emergence Chart defines three states of a sewer-unit, which I determine at the end of their MPh. But there is no way to remember that state with a counter? How are you doing it? Turn the sewer-counter by 45 degrees when discovered, or something like that?

Being discovered is not that common, and is quite memorable. Defensive First fire usually ensues immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
phxhf wrote:

I think it takes all MF to enter the Sewer from a Manhole Location.

B8.4:
"...Only Good Order Infantry (or a dummy stack) may enter a Sewer system from a Manhole Location and only at the start of their MPh and do so at the cost of all their MF..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
phxhf wrote:

Yes, but that is the only movement option for the unit in that MPh. You can't combine regular movement (of any sort, for any purpose) with sewer movement.

Quote:
Like sewer movement?

It seems a reasonable argument. I'd be happier about it if the term "Partisan" was actually used anywhere on the scenario card. As it is the argument could be made that the Home Army units are just Russians who use counters that have the same values as Partisan counters, but are not actually Partisans (and thus don't use any Partisan rules). If you (and your opponent) accept that the Home Army units are Partisans, then A25.241 should certainly apply.

Quote:

You're free to make your own. The fact is that Sewer Movement is not a rule that gets a lot of use in most non-CG scenarios, and there's only limited space on the counter sheets. Compromises have to be made.

Quote:

Whatever works for you. You could drop a different counter on top of the Sewer Marker to signify the status -- e.g., the DM counters with a red back (OBA chits), or whatever else is handy and won't be confused for something else. In ASL, while sometimes you may not have the exact counter you want, you can be sure that you will never be lacking for spare counters for any particular purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Wille
Germany
Herford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

I guess I won't play the Home Army as Partisans, disallowing sewer movement with the regular army. It is hard enough for the germans as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
phxhf wrote:
I guess I won't play the Home Army as Partisans, disallowing sewer movement with the regular army. It is hard enough for the germans as it is.

I think that would be an error. It would be fair to say that the use of Partisan counters is sufficient proof in the majority of players' minds that they are Partisans (or to put it another way, most would expect an SSR stating explicitly that they are not Partisans before they'd play it that way). I get pedantic because, well, that's how I roll.

I've never played the scenario myself, but on ROAR it seems very balanced (95 Russian wins out of 189 games recorded, or 50.2% pro-Russian). On that evidence it doesn't look like the Germans need any "favours".

That being said, in any scenario where it's permitted, Sewer Movement is a tool available to the player -- and like any tool, it can be used wisely, it can be used stupidly, or even not used at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sockwell
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phxhf wrote:

I would guess that when Red Factories is released, you'll get all the sewer counters you could want!

Cheers,

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.