5 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Strategy insight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Daoust

US Armed Forces - Americas
msg tools
Hi, quick question, we've been playing The campaign for three years the same five guys, everyone playing imperiald and rebels, plus have most of the expansions. Waiting for ''Heart of the Empire'', we decided to replay the core game with the expansions. For the Imperials I've taken Tech Supp, mostly for Adaptive weapons for the die of my choosing during my attack. Problem is, the rebels have in my opinion a killer team. Either Fenn for blast, the medical droid for healing, Gideon for command and Onar as a tank.

Problem is, I have been being crushed. The team simply seems overkill and I can't seem to put a stop. Most core missions where I have to wound the heroes they simply get healed by the med droid before i can get the kill. I tried killing off Gideon to remove his command ability, but I get crushed before. The core game seems to simply be innaccessible to the healing factor the med droid brings along. (Ex: fly solo mission, where i have to kill han, I damaged him with honestly the equivalent of 30 damage and still couldn't take him down).

Anyways to help? I feel bad since Vader is breathing down my neck with the rebel scum winning constantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico P
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daoust_302 wrote:
fly solo mission, where i have to kill han, I damaged him with honestly the equivalent of 30 damage and still couldn't take him down

Something doesn't sounds right. MHD's not bad but he's definitely not that broken, how is Han Solo still alive after 30dmg? Yes I have the campaign book in front of me and I know the mission Fly Solo

Are you focus-firing the heroes AFTER they have activated for the round or before?

what missions have you (the Imperial player) won so far, and what xp stuff did you + the 4 Rebel heroes bought?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to check is that MDH-19 can only use Medical Loadout once per activation, because it's a special action.

ricope wrote:
Are you focus-firing the heroes AFTER they have activated for the round or before?

With MHD-19 you need to wait until the hero AND MHD-19 has activate. MHD-19's out of other hero's activation healing is very powerful - and then he'll get Bacta Radiator and it gets ridiculous.

See any of my PBF campaigns with MHD-19 in it. It is hard to wound heroes with MHD-19 in the team, even with Hutt Mercenaries.

A1bert's Imperial Assault Play By Forum Campaigns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daoust

US Armed Forces - Americas
msg tools
They keep using MHD as the last hero so they keep healing the rebels heroes. By the end of thw round i don't habe many units left to play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy N
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daoust_302 wrote:
They keep using MHD as the last hero so they keep healing the rebels heroes. By the end of thw round i don't habe many units left to play with.

The fact that you are losing most of your units in the first round makes me wonder if you are playing too offensively early on. Early on in missions, I usually try to position my figures such that the Rebels have to move in order to attack thereby only granting them, at most one attack action per activation. This isn't always possible but sometime it is more valuable to force the Rebels to move to you instead of landing just a few points of damage. My first activation I usually look at the board and ask myself, "what are they most likely to attack when they activate next?"

I am currently running Technological Superiority in a Return to Hoth campaign. My planned upgrade path is:
* Tech Support (1xp) - this is a great value to really increase the versatility of your droids.
* Cloaking Device (3xp) - increases the threat efficiency of units and makes the Rebels wary to attack figures with the extra defense die.
* Superior Augments (4xp) - my goal is to field multiple groups with attachments and and the damage/speed increase will improve my offense potential.
* Arc Blasters (3xp) - great for stripping focus (MHD via Ready for Service and Adrenal Stim). Also, the surge for damage + blast is great and if you can land the Stun, even better.
* Jetpacks (1xp) - another attachment, doesn't require threat to use.

Note: I like Superior Augments better than Adaptive Weapons because often the 1 damage is slightly more damage than replacing a die and you don't suffer the accuracy loss of replacing a die with a red die. As stated above, I like to keep my figures out of harms way as much as possible and being able to shoot and run is preferable to running up to melee range in order to have a Stormtrooper roll red+green.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.