Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this a lot and already have the Ethnos: Promo Tribe – Fairies from the BGG store, but I'm looking for more. This game is SO ready for expansion content in the form of new tribes, new scoring tiles, maybe something new like events or weather that change the rules or board state.

Anyone seen or heard of any new content in the pipeline?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dee
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
I heard (on a podcast) that they have some expansions planned, but sadly, the game has not yet sold well enough to justify releasing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Mori
Italy
Parma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pa°L° wrote:
Really?

Well, that settles things... I would still like to see more content Paolo, hopefully CMON will agree with me at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Purdon

Twinsburg
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What the heck? I was thinking that it was selling decently. Not a top seller of the year or anything but decent. But then again I don't really know. That would really suck though as the game is so ripe for expansions... What's more economically viable - one larger expansion that almost doubles the race options, or smaller race packs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be good to know what podcast and who actually claimed this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turner
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shut Up and Sit Down talked about it on their latest podcast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Chamberland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve_Dee wrote:
I heard (on a podcast) that they have some expansions planned, but sadly, the game has not yet sold well enough to justify releasing them.

A major problem with podcasts is they suffer from the Telephone Game effect of misinformation.

Shut Up and Sit Down podcast #75 @ 5:28 wrote:
I don't think it has sold as well as it could have done... obviously a board game needs to sell quite well for them to do the expansions but that means I am being denied my sweet, sweet Ethnos because...

It's just one person saying what they think. No data (for example, BGG shows rank 255 and 5400+ owners) and no information from the designer or CMON. Just what one person thinks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Purdon

Twinsburg
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mandor wrote:
Steve_Dee wrote:

A major problem with podcasts is they suffer from the Telephone Game effect of misinformation.

Shut Up and Sit Down podcast #75 @ 5:28 wrote:
I don't think it has sold as well as it could have done... obviously a board game needs to sell quite well for them to do the expansions but that means I am being denied my sweet, sweet Ethnos because...

It's just one person saying what they think. No data (for example, BGG shows rank 255 and 5400+ owners) and no information from the designer or CMON. Just what one person thinks.

Phew. So hopefully there's still a chance. There are many games that don't necessarily sell like hotcakes but still get expansions. Hopefully this one has done well enough to make the CMON roadmap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The artwork really did the game a disservice. It's good artwork on its own, but it doesn't match the gameplay or game weight.

If CMON did it right, they should do a reskin first and then move on to expansions.

Or sell the rights to Roxley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Purdon

Twinsburg
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that would work. I certainly wouldn't re-buy it and I don't think most would (I like the art aside from the board). So you'd be banking on mostly new customer purchases. Seems like it'd be better to walk away if there isn't deemed to be enough interest.

But there are plenty of other games with less BGG owners that have expansions. 51st State Master Set, Stockpile, Lorenzo il Magnifico, etc. Though certainly BGG stats are not a great source for actual sale numbers...

Wait and see I suppose. Worst case the game is still great as is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couch wrote:
I don't think that would work. I certainly wouldn't re-buy it and I don't think most would (I like the art aside from the board). So you'd be banking on mostly new customer purchases. Seems like it'd be better to walk away if there isn't deemed to be enough interest.

But there are plenty of other games with less BGG owners that have expansions. 51st State Master Set, Stockpile, Lorenzo il Magnifico, etc. Though certainly BGG stats are not a great source for actual sale numbers...

Wait and see I suppose. Worst case the game is still great as is.

Well you also have to consider that Ethnos is a CMoN original and CMoN is used to making A LOT of money on their original titles (ZOmbicide, anything Eric Lanh, etc) so success for them may be very different than a success from a smaller company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carrier
msg tools
Well damn... I was about to start a new thread but then noticed this one... kick in the gut... the game just arrived at my door from Amazon...

I'll just leave this here...

So after learning about this game, I went to my local game shop and asked about it, and it sounded pretty dire as to if they would be able to order a copy for me... I instead scooped up a copy on Amazon, it arrived today.

Over the past few days, I've been watching loads of reviews on Youtube, and they all say the same thing:

- This game never made it on our radar
- It's not an eye-catcher, doesn't "sound" interesting (probably the reason for above)
- Holy hell... this game is FUN
- Adding to my collection! Highest Seal of Approval! etc etc etc

Many of these reviews are dated to be about a year ago... so here we are, one year later. Was the game a success? There is almost no activity on this site for this game... so that does not bode well at all...

The game is basically a Ticket To Ride - killer. Just as accessible, but even faster paced, quicker, and more depth. "Ticket to Ride for Gamers" was a term being thrown around.

The game is insanely simple and elegant in its design, yet I see basic elements (though very different) from all these games in it:

- Ticket to Ride: Closest direct gameplay comparison with some differences
- 7 Wonders: building and playing out sets of cards, game plays across 3 "ages"
- Smallworld: different races that each have a unique ability, and area control elements on a map

12 races in the box, randomly select 5/6 (depending on player count) to use for each game, random score values for locations on the board every game.

Infinitely expandable by releasing new races, some of which also have additional tokens or even minigame scoreboards that come into play when those races are selected.

So the question is... will it be expanded? Did the game die an early death? Or is more to come?

Nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.