Clash of Cultures» Forums » Variants

Subject: Possible 5 or 6 player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One of the issues that has been frequently raised in this forum is the possibility of including a 5th or 6th player. One of the main obstacles to this is the great downtime generated. If each player spends 5 minutes to play its turn, it will mean that you will have to wait 20 or 25 minutes to play.
Based on that, I am thinking about a possible alternative, to reduce this effect. To play this in addition of an extra copy of the game, you would need some extra material (easily home-made):
1 A little individual player mat, divided in 4 sections: Columns will be “management phase” and “expansion phase” and rows will be “normal action” and “free actions”
2 A series of tokens or little cards for each player: These will include 4 copies on each of these category of actions: “movement”, “collect”, “increase city”, “create units”, “found city”, “cultural influence”, “civic improvement” and “special” (this include actions from development board and from action cards).
3 A player screen for each player (optional).

Of course you will need a specific set up for 5 or 6 players, by I do not think that this would be a problem.
The main innovation is how turns will be played. The 3 turns of each round will have now the following phases:
tobaccoCommercial phase: All player simultaneously collect from trade routes (including benefits from markets from passive trade routes).
indigoPlanning phase: All player simultaneously pick the tokens that represent the actions they will do during this turn and put them face down in the player mat in its respective area. The player mat could be hidden with a screen in order to not let other player how many tokens are placed in each area.
sugar Management phase: Tokens placed in the management phase are simultaneously revealed, and actions are executed at the same time by all players. Management phase includes all the action related with the internal management of your civilization and that are not directly interacting with other players. These are collect, increase city, create units, civic improvement and similar special actions (like taxation). These could be normal actions or free actions (by a card or by a special development like economic freedom or absolute power).
corn Expansion phase: Expansion actions are movement, cultural influence, found city and some special actions from card actions. Here I see two possibilities: Each player reveal and play all its expansion actions following the turn order, like in the vanilla game. The second option will be that, following the turn order, each player reveal and play only one action. When a player will not have any more actions, he just pass. The phase will end when all the players will have spent all their actions.

This for sure will change how the game is played, as for example you will not be able to invade a city and immediately build a unit. But, as this will be the same for everybody, I presume that this could work.

To be honest, I will never been able to test it. I only play CoC with my son and daughter, and I never played a 4 players game and there is no chances that this will be change in medium term. However, I’m just launching this idea to see if someone would be interested to try it.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Neels
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi!

It's definitely an interesting concept. Turning a "turn-based" game into a Euro-style of play would definitely affect the gameplay, in ways that no one can really predict and in ways that the developer could intend. I see it as a viable play option, yet I would be wary of what it could possibly unbalance in the game.

What I'd recommend for testing it if you only ever have a total of three players would be to have each player control two factions as allies.

Definitely an interesting concept to say the least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be fun to hear, how it plays out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BakedToast wrote:
Hi!

What I'd recommend for testing it if you only ever have a total of three players would be to have each player control two factions as allies.

Definitely an interesting concept to say the least.

... the only problem is that I only own a copy of CoC, so I do not think this would be feasible.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.