Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently bought the game. Two questions: which expansion is a "must have" and are there any expansions that improve your tactical abilities? Like say better command cards and so on. Not so much more units but better quality cards.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the expansions of the armies in the base box, Daqan and Uthuk. They add new units, new scenarios and new Lore cards. Some of the new lore cards, especially for the Uthuk, are really powerful. The expansions do not make the armies stronger, in the sense that the new units are not designed afaik to be superior to the old ones, but by adding diversity they introduce new tactical possibilities and challenges.

Alternatively you can buy the Undead expansions and try a completely new faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mb
Way I see it, each army expansion gives more options to that specific army. Options are good. Therefore it's "fair" to get Hernfar Guardians and Warband of Scorn at the same time as each gives more options to a single army in the base box. Alternatively you want one Undead box to get a new army without changing the relative power level of base box armies. Heralds of Dreadfall has a unit type spread similar to core box armies, but if you don't care about that sort of thing then certainly Terrors of the Mists is an option too. So I'd get a red & blue expansion, or a single purple expansion, or red, blue & 2 purples. Neutral monsters are neat but poorest value for money in my mind.

Dice Expansion is pretty close to a must have for me personally, but I really hate it when a game skimps on dice so YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no new command cards in the expansions, only new lore cards.

All army expansions have new kinds of terrain.

If you buy
1 expansion: Heralds of dreadfall
2: Hernfair guardians + Warbands of scorn
3: Heralds of dreadfall + Great dragon + Razorwings
4: Heralds of dreadfall + Terrors of the mist + Hernfair guardians + Warbands of scorn
5-7: Heralds of dreadfall + Terrors of the mist + Hernfair guardians + Warbands of scorn + razorwings / Great dragon > Mountain giant

EDIT: buying the dice kind of sucks, but they are really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So its a good idea to buy unit expansions to give more choices, add terrain, and better more cards. Dice is a must buy.
Regarding expansions it is best if I buy expansions evenly.

Do I have all this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, buy them evenly, if you can.

I bought the dice first, about a year after the base set came out (I picked up the base set on release). I didn't buy any other expansions until a year after the Undead came out. The expansions are fun, but tjere is a ton of playability with just the core.

If the core isn't entertaining you, I'm not sure expansions will fix that. I mean, if you think the game isn't very tactical, the expansions won't really help.

If you get a reinforcement pack, get the dragon because it has a really neatscenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
So its a good idea to buy unit expansions to give more choices, add terrain, and better more cards. Dice is a must buy.
Regarding expansions it is best if I buy expansions evenly.

Do I have all this right?

I'd say you got it.
To elaborate on the dice. I've played dozens of games of Battlelore and in every single one I've had to roll more dice than come with the game (4, I think). There's so many ways to buff the number of dice you roll. You absolutely can play with dice provided by the core box, as you often exceed the provided dice count by only a few. Necessity of extra dice is entirely dependent on how annoying you find that sort of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy the dice NOW:
https://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgbt03.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Done. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bingaman
United States
Bristol
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mb
I just got into the game and started painting all of the figures. I got all the army expansions, but none of the neutrals, but the one thing I can't find anymore are the dice packs; even the link from above is out of stock now. Any thoughts on where to pick those up/if the neutral forces are worth it? Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
The neutral forces are fun, but definitely not "necessary". I personally have two of each neutral just to allow for options and variety, but don't always use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mb
shmojoe100 wrote:
I just got into the game and started painting all of the figures. I got all the army expansions, but none of the neutrals, but the one thing I can't find anymore are the dice packs; even the link from above is out of stock now. Any thoughts on where to pick those up/if the neutral forces are worth it? Thanks in advance!

"Worth" depends a lot on how big of a spender you are. They're what, 15$ a pack? They're neat, nowhere near essential. If you can dish out that much for a neat little thing, go right ahead.

Battlelore uses d6's with custom symbols, so at the end of the day you could use a standard d6 and decide which number counts for which symbol. Or just get some blank dice and put your own symbols on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Fernandez
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nekku wrote:
shmojoe100 wrote:

"Worth" depends a lot on how big of a spender you are. They're what, 15$ a pack? They're neat, nowhere near essential. If you can dish out that much for a neat little thing, go right ahead.

Battlelore uses d6's with custom symbols, so at the end of the day you could use a standard d6 and decide which number counts for which symbol. Or just get some blank dice and put your own symbols on them.

Another solution... my solution ^^
https://battlelore2.blogspot.fr/2017/11/dice-pack-battlelore...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were to use regular d6s, I'd use the following conversion.

1 pierce (target symbol)
2 cleave (single sword symbol)
3 lore (3 diamonds)
4 morale (flag symbol)
5 strike (double swords symbol)
6 heroic (helmet symbol)

In my mind, this helps each die result look like the symbols from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bingaman
United States
Bristol
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks all for the thoughts and advice. I saved the dice sticker file for future use, but for the time being I solved it by buying a second core set for the dice and the option to have the epic games. I think I'll try to find a heralds of dreadfall pack to make it more even for all factions as far as a large epic game goes (sadly missed it on the sale cry)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.