Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally, disabled components are repair automatically at the end of the year. But suppose you were in a hurry and needed the component on Earth to be repaired before the end of the year so you can use it before the end of the year. Can you use a Mechanic and Supplies to repair all disabled components on the ship?

From Page 43...

Quote:
An astronaut with the (wrench) symbol can repair all damaged components on his spacecraft (other than astronauts) by consuming one supply.

Emphasis added by me.

If a mechanic can repair a spacecraft on Earth to speed up the repair time, does the spacecraft have to have a Capsule in order to establish that this is his spacecraft?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The only way to repair components during your turn is to have a mechanic and a supply on board, then consume the supply to repair all non-astronaut components on board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Kangro
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saxophone wrote:
Normally, disabled components are repair automatically at the end of the year. But suppose you were in a hurry and needed the component on Earth to be repaired before the end of the year so you can use it before the end of the year. Can you use a Mechanic and Supplies to repair all disabled components on the ship?

From Page 43...

Quote:
An astronaut with the (wrench) symbol can repair all damaged components on his spacecraft (other than astronauts) by consuming one supply.

Emphasis added by me.

If a mechanic can repair a spacecraft on Earth to speed up the repair time, does the spacecraft have to have a Capsule in order to establish that this is his spacecraft?

I guess, the "his"-part means he needs to be part of the spacecraft. That's only a theoretical problem on earth, though, as assembly and disassembly of spacecraft can be done freely on earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalohat wrote:
Yes. The only way to repair components during your turn is to have a mechanic and a supply on board, then consume the supply to repair all non-astronaut components on board.

But in order for the mechanic to be on board, your spacecraft must have a capsule, even if it's on the Earth. Correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saxophone wrote:
buffalohat wrote:

But in order for the mechanic to be on board, your spacecraft must have a capsule, even if it's on the Earth. Correct?
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Kangro
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saxophone wrote:
buffalohat wrote:

Oh, didn't think of that. Nice catch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hadden
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Toot, toot!
badge
If all else fails...
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the need to apply the rules consistently and not to bloat them, but this isn't making sense to me. I must be missing something.

I can't see that an astronaut with supplies and capsule on earth could possibly make the repairs of a damaged component occur more rapidly than the vast array of tools, supplies and expertise available to the earth based engineers and technicians.

It seems like either earth-based repairs by astronauts needs to not be allowed and/or a means to speed up earth-based repairs added (a use for spare-change budget money?).

Please help me understand what I am missing here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bootstrap wrote:
I understand the need to apply the rules consistently and not to bloat them, but this isn't making sense to me. I must be missing something.

I can't see that an astronaut with supplies and capsule on earth could possibly make the repairs of a damaged component occur more rapidly than the vast array of tools, supplies and expertise available to the earth based engineers and technicians.

It seems like either earth-based repairs by astronauts needs to not be allowed and/or a means to speed up earth-based repairs added (a use for spare-change budget money?).

Please help me understand what I am missing here.

I think the requirement is a bit of a stretch, yes it is for consistent and simpler rules; but it does stretch believability. So...I look at the auto-repair as a bureaucratic affair, scheduled, ponderous, getting done when it gets done, file form A, sign form b, etc. An astronaut, whose life may depend on this damaged component, on the other hand is more motivated to just getting it done and getting it done now. The capsule requirement? That's his workshop. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to get a mechanic to perform a rapid repair on earth, you need a capsule. You either need to purchase the capsule from someone else, or you need the Life Support Advancement to purchase your own capsule. Evidently, the astronaut needs to put on his space suit in order to make repairs on the earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saxophone wrote:
In order to get a mechanic to perform a rapid repair on earth, you need a capsule. You either need to purchase the capsule from someone else, or you need the Life Support Advancement to purchase your own capsule. Evidently, the astronaut needs to put on his space suit in order to make repairs on the earth.
Well, Life Support is needed to Buy a supply, but any capsule (from Landing or Re-Entry) will do. As an extreme example, if no one has Life Support you could send a probe out to pick up some Extraterrestrial supplies and bring them back to Earth. Probably best not to think on this one too hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Life support for supply purchase makes sense, but a "seat on a capsule" does not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Same-turn on-Earth repairs are a rare enough case that I didn't add an extra rule just to make them easier. The game has lots of rules as it is.

If you wanted to add a house rule to make such repairs easier, it would probably be ok, though I haven't tried it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hadden
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Toot, toot!
badge
If all else fails...
mbmbmbmbmb
buffalohat wrote:
Same-turn on-Earth repairs are a rare enough case that I didn't add an extra rule just to make them easier. The game has lots of rules as it is.

If you wanted to add a house rule to make such repairs easier, it would probably be ok, though I haven't tried it.

Those of us who are stuck being the sole rules reader/explainer in our groups appreciate all the efforts to keep the rules clear and lean!

My immediate proposal for a house rule would be:
1. Astronaut repairs on earth are not allowed.
2. If a player wishes to repair on earth during the year they must pay $2 (one for the inferred "supply" and one to overcome bureaucracy). No budget flexibility = no ability to respond to unanticipated problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.