Fields of Fire» Forums » General

Subject: Sorting and Storing Counters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a newbie to this title, thought I’d ask if the system below is still the standard for sorting and storing? Any other approaches popular? Thanks.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/70983/sorting-and-sto...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian hunt
United States
red rock
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry at work and blocked from downloads...but I separated the non-unit counters, equipment/vehicle counters and platoon/hq counters. Each fire teams and assualt teams just got thrown into separate bags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I suspect everyone ends up with their own system in the end. Nothing changed in the 2nd edition that would cause anyone to change their storage system, if that is part of your question. To some extent it also depends on the type and number of counter boxes you feel you have the luxury of using too.

Hopefully others can share their systems too so you can get a good idea of some options or improvements.

Here is a link to an article on the FoF Boot Camp website by Ben that will really help you as well.

https://sites.google.com/site/fieldsoffirebootcamp/new-playe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ron, I’m halfway through using your system! It’s been a huge help. Brian, thank you too.

Ron, are the blue “Move/Activated/Fire” markers what you call “Vehicle Move/Fired”?

And where would you store the blue “Target AB000#” markers? I’m thinking in the “Set Up” bag.

Btw if Ricky or Ben get a chance, a reference chart with a pic of each counter type explaining what they’re for might be a great help with orientation and sorting. Maybe something to include in Volume 2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have managed to store them in two GMT trays, but they are crammed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't punched my 2nd edition counters yet but it sounds like they are the same marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Petters
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to show an alternative, this is what I did:

For card boxes, I used the custom tuckbox template generator by Craig Forbes (https://www.cpforbes.net/tuckbox/). For dimensions, since I have sleeved my cards, I used 2.75" x 3.75" x 1.5". The 1.5 could be reduced a bit, maybe to 1.3" and still work. Much shorter than that and the decks may be too hard to get back in.

For the counter storage, I used the system designed by Ones Upon A Game. See this youtube video on the system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfy3gl1GGzk&t=12s

I made the 3 column version as the 4 column wouldn't fit in the box with the cards. I made 3 trays, which created 45 separate spaces for counters

The footprint of this combination is small enough for everything to fit in the box:

Unfortunately, the lid won't lower completely onto the box when all the rules and briefing books are included:

I may try to reduce the width of the individual columns and by doing so, make 4 columns per tray. That would give 40 separate spaces in 2 trays, which may allow the box to lower almost completely. The rest could probably be done by going to a 1.25" tuckbox design. What I don't know is whether the size of the spaces would still hold enough counters to get everything in it. Right now, I can get either 15 counters sitting flat, or 24 counters on edge, but when on their edge, the box top does not sit flush with the tray.

Just some thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gone through a few different methods, but settled on this one. I wanted to easily get everything into the game box.

I store all setup counters in baggies, such as squads (both friendly and enemy), equipment and markers - 17 baggies total, sorted by era. Squads are presorted with leaders for quick setup.

I use one gmt style tray to store PDFs VOFs, grenades, pinned, lats, cover, ect - the counters I use while the game is ongoing. I used to use two trays, but I found that the vast majority of counters were not used in any particular campaign. The setup counters usually ended up in a big pile next to the playing area anyway, so I though, why not just store these in baggies to start with?

I store my decks in baggies - a heavy gauge ziplock type I purchased on amazon specifically for cards. The counter baggies are the small ones that come in most gmt games. I sleeve my cards, and everything fits just fine, with the box closing completely. I use to use deck tape, but it can ruin cards and sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Takai
Switzerland
Thun
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use 5 Raaco Assorter 6-0 with 9x A78 insets, as well as one A71 to store my current outfit. Not at home right now, so can't post a picture.

As with all my GMT games, I sleeve the cards and keep them separate, with Dragon Shields in Ultimate Guard Boulder cases.

None of these fit in the box. I have long given up on trying to cram stuff into game boxes, which seem to be always too small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
All the game markers in one GMT counter tray. Normandy stuff (US and enemy) sorted into small, labelled baggies. Action deck and Normandy terrain deck in small piles ... all this plus booklets in box. Box lid closes.

Then again, I have all of the Korea and Vietnam stuff standing at the back of a bookshelf (some unpunched) in the large ziplock bag that GMT sent the upgrade kit in. I don't play those two eras.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.