Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ippokratis Gnostopoulos
Qatar
Doha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear all

me and my wife are really appreciating the campaign/"Legacy" elements of the new Pandemic. We used to play 2 player Dead of Winter coop before, having a lot of fun.

So, do you think Gloomhaven should be the next step for us?

PS. My wife is a Lovecraft lover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven is not Lovecraft.

That said, Gloomhaven is obviously a fantastic game (I tell this from all the reviews, I haven't actually played a physical version - I'm waiting for mine to arrive from the second KS).

You might want to look into Arkham Horror: The Card Game if you're interested in a very well written story-driven campaign game set in the Lovecraft universe. A warning though: it can get expensive if you really do love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ippokratis Gnostopoulos
Qatar
Doha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jjdelanoche wrote:

That said, Gloomhaven is obviously a fantastic game (I tell this from all the reviews, I haven't actually played a physical version - I'm waiting for mine to arrive from the second KS).

You might want to look into Arkham Horror: The Card Game if you're interested in a very well written story-driven campaign game set in the Lovecraft universe. A warning though: it can get expensive if you really do love it!

we have played Eldritch Horror and we really didn't like it: too much dice rolling for us! is it anything similar to that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven requires a lot more investment than Pandemic Legacy. If you had trouble finishing PL, you might think harder before getting Gloomhaven.

Also the genre is completely different, and each session is longer than PL.

This being said, it's very probable that she will enjoy, if you both can regularly dedicate 2h+setup time to a play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
civil wrote:

we have played Eldritch Horror and we really didn't like it: too much dice rolling for us! is it anything similar to that?

Not at all, you play cards, and there is a lot more strategy involved. This is part of Gloomhaven success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
civil wrote:
Jjdelanoche wrote:

Not at all. I'd highly recommend watching Shut Up and Sit Down's review of Arkham Horror: The Card Game - they hated both Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror board games but Pandemic Legacy is their favourite game of all time and they also love Arkham Horror: The Card Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven is great, as has been said, but it is massive regarding investment of time, space (if you leave it set up), and set up and tear down (if put it away between uses). I, personally, have 100+ hours invested into the game, have enjoyed every moment of it, but I still have a long way to go.

Pandemic Legacy is much simpler, space saving, and you will be able to finish it easily.

If your wife likes Lovecraft, I highly recommend Mythos Tales. However, the game is unplayable unless you print out the errata sheets that you can find just about anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian hunt
United States
red rock
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plus gloomhaven will be a little on the hard side to get unless you want to dish out $200
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven is a fantastic game but the legacy element is very light. It's 95% tactical dungeon combat.

Each play session might last 1-3 hours all within a light legacy arc.

Watch a few gameplay videos to see if you like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Skelding
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Mansions of Madness 2nd edition, too. It's supposed to be fantastic if you're into Lovecraft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
Danneq wrote:
You could try Mansions of Madness 2nd edition, too. It's supposed to be fantastic if you're into Lovecraft.

It is OK for a light game. It is not properly balanced for different numbers of characters. It is much harder in most scenarios so far, with fewer characters. It gets a lot easier when you replay scenarios. When playing a scenario for the first time with 5 characters the difficulty seems OK. It is hard, but you have a chance to get a favorable resolution.
I think it is fun to play the game socially, but I don't think it is that good of a cooperative game.
Though I like Eldritch Horror a lot and think Arkham Horror is so so, but again socially fun.
I like Arkham Horror the card game, but don't get to play it too often. I am anxious to be able to play Gloomhaven as it sounds like a really good game for my group other than it sounds like it will be too easy after we have played for a bit. I'm planning to have my characters try to retire quickly, so that I can keep their level low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fentum wrote:

I highly recommend the Jon Gets Games playthrough. It's spoiler-free as far as the story goes, and gives a good idea of the thought processes involved in game play of Gloomhaven. It's the video that totally sold me on the Gloomhaven experience (though I'm also still waiting on my game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DMountford wrote:
fentum wrote:

I highly recommend the Jon Gets Games playthrough. It's spoiler-free as far as the story goes, and gives a good idea of the thought processes involved in game play of Gloomhaven. It's the video that totally sold me on the Gloomhaven experience (though I'm also still waiting on my game).

The Rolling Solo series of videos is excellent. He has run through the full Kickstarter campaign so spoiler free for the main box campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here's what I think Gloomhaven shares with PL1

That feeling of collectively trying to beat a scenario where it may sometimes come down to the last card, and using the specific set of skills your character has to help get you there.

That sense of story progression you get from things developing over time, with unlocks providing new scenarios, characters and items.

What you don't get the same?

Progression through loss. You do have aspects of progression, but it's not like 'try twice, move on'. Also, the pace of progression is slower.

Locking paths off - this didn't happen in pandemic (although this is frankly easily remedied with a basic reset plan)

The same kind of finality, where the game has a point after which you're unlikely to play again.

Set up and play time - this is much longer.

Each scenario building on the mechanics of the one before - gloomhaven has some linearity but a lot isn't linear as well.

I'm sure others have more, but that might be a guide to whether you will like it if you can identify what you enjoy about pandemic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ippokratis Gnostopoulos
Qatar
Doha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Danneq wrote:

We had it but it's Eldritch Horror with an app. Too much dice rolling!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ippokratis Gnostopoulos
Qatar
Doha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benmartell wrote:

I'm sure others have more, but that might be a guide to whether you will like it if you can identify what you enjoy about pandemic

That was a very helpful analysis Ben, thank you!

-The best think I loved in Pandemic Legacy and Dead of Winter is that are games that could easily be played by 2 people.

-They 're strategic enough (we don't like too much dice rolling).

-They don't need so much time, meaning that you can sit down every night and get up after one or two hours feeling complete, feeling that you accomplished something (or failed!).

-We loved the campaign, the feeling that we are part of something bigger, that there is a bigger picture, a story behind our troubles.

-We love the small rules change every night makes you feel you play something new, without really the need to invest the time a new game needs.

I think we loved them for the same reason we watch TV series instead of movies: episodes are giving you directly the peak of emotions in a small amount of time (since you already know the basic stories behind the characters) and they build tense episode by episode. That's what I expect from my next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Ilitchev
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this is a bit out of left field, but have you tried Ghost Stories?

There is nothing Legacy about it but it is a superlative, difficult co-op and great with two. In two hours, you could get three games in once you have the rules down. In fact, my friend and I would often do just that.

Also, while beautifully illustrated evil ghosts may not be exactly lovecraftian - they do represent a step in that direction.

...it does require you to work the chessy, combinatorial part of your brain though - and not everybody enjoys that.

Just a suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
In case you aren't aware, "Season 2" of Pandemic Legacy is coming out this fall (although I could be wrong about the timing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum wrote:
In case you aren't aware, "Season 2" of Pandemic Legacy is coming out this fall (although I could be wrong about the timing).

I'd certainly expect it by the end of October!

From reading your comments I'd say you certainly sound like you'd enjoy Gloomhaven, but the setup and overall playtime might be an issue.

For the cost of a core box of Arkham Horror: The Card Game, I'd certainly say it's worth trying out! You sound like you'd love just about every aspect of it - the play time fits perfectly into a night, it's feel very episodic (like a TV series), the deck building and actual playing allows for some very deep and interesting strategy. The only thing you might not like is the chaos bag, but, and I say this as someone who also doesn't like too much dice rolling, I find the bag creates the perfect balance between being able to plan and fully solve the game and tension. Much like the fact that you can't know exactly what order previously infected cities will come back up in in Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
civil wrote:
We had it but it's Eldritch Horror with an app. Too much dice rolling!

I'm sorry, but I'm confused by your sentence. Aside from the Lovecraft setting and dice rolling, how is Mansions of Madness anything like Eldritch Horror?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ippokratis Gnostopoulos
Qatar
Doha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it really felt the same to me snore. Same story, same mechanics, same too-much-dice-rolling.

Of course playing on a dungeon lay-out makes things more interesting. And -don't get me wrong- i'm not saying that it's not better than Eldritch Horror or that it's not a good game: it's just not for us: we felt that these two games are not that apart (something that made things worse was the fact that we had only finished Eldritch Horror when MoM arrived).

I only played it once and traded it away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
civil wrote:
Jjdelanoche wrote:

Why not watch a review of the game? Or read one? There are a lot of them and they will give you more detailed info than asking questions about a game you know nothing about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
civil wrote:
Jjdelanoche wrote:

Why not watch a review of the game? Or read one? There are a lot of them and they will give you more detailed info than asking questions about a game you know nothing about.

This. Seriously, watch a review of Arkham Horror: TCG. I highly recommend Shut Up and Sit Down's, since they don't like Eldritch Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ippokratis Gnostopoulos
Qatar
Doha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
good point: it is a logical question. BUT if you read all these kind replies, they really give information i couldn't get in a Gloomhaven review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.