Subject: Your Opinion? Decktet for Trick Taking games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

A small introduction. I have played several Decktet games and I enjoyed most of them and I think the Decktet is quite beautiful and an awesome system. I have some times thought of developing a game myself. However, I have never developed any game, so I had the idea of porting an existing game into the Decktet as a small challenge to try out the waters. Since me and my girlfriend enjoy trick taking, I though that would be a nice start.

My question is, since the Decktet cards have two symbols instead of the customary one, do you think that throws the "balance" off?

Meaning, normally you have the lead suit and a trump suit. But in the Decktet you could have both on the same card or it could be more spreaded.
Do you think there's an impact? Would you count only one suit for example?

I know all of this questions really depend on the ruleset and not entirely on the system. I am just wondering if a different game type would be more suitable.

I await your thoughts

Ps: sorry if any sentence doesn't make sense. I am not a native speaker and I wrote it in my phone which sometimes seems to have a life of its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually the unique nature of the decktet makes for some fun trick takers. There are rules for a few. If you havent already, http://wiki.decktet.com has tons of rules for all sorts of games. There are more than 10 listed under trick taking, ive played gasp, ace trump and double knot and enjoyed them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, nonesuch is THE trick taking decktet game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I have played several Decktet games and I enjoyed most of them and I think the Decktet is quite beautiful and an awesome system.

Thanks. I'm glad you are enoying it.

Quote:
However, I have never developed any game, so I had the idea of porting an existing game into the Decktet as a small challenge to try out the waters.

A Decktet trick-taking game will be different than a regular deck trick-taking game. This doesn't necessarily mean that the balance is off, but it does mean that the balance is different.

If you want a Decktet game that plays more like a standard trick-taking game, I recommend Chicane. There's a declaration at the beginning to determine whether the top or the bottom suit on each card is in play. This can make the difference between there being 2 Moon cards and there being 10 Moons (for example) but every card effectively has one suit once play begins. (I especially like Partner Chicane.)

Nonesuch keeps both suits in play, so it is possible to follow suit and trump at the same time. The bidding rules are deliberately somewhat imprecise, to make up for the fact that players might have a hard time figuring out what to expect. If you want more precision, you might try Raven Nonesuch (for three players). If you want an even wilder ride, try Poison Nonesuch.

In either case, reference cards are recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.