Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham
Ireland
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been really excited to play this game since its announcement - and this has also piqued my interest in ships, sihp building and shipping history.

I found this article about the QE2 on the BBC very interesting (I know it's outside of the date range of the game).

Can anyone recommend books, articles, etc. to get me started, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cooley
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure there will be a historical booklet in the game itself if you can wait that long :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walther Gerdts
Germany
Hamburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
benstylus wrote:
I'm sure there will be a historical booklet in the game itself if you can wait that long :-)

Of course there will. Each of the 50 ships has a story to tell!
And Ralph H. Anderson kindly helped translating the booklet by polishing my poor English. Great job Ralph!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at "Dead Wake" by Erik Larson. It's mainly about the sinking of the Lusitania, but Larson also tells a good bit about the culture of transatlantic shipping and life aboard an ocean liner. It also tells something of life aboard a u-boat; not sure those appear in Transatlantic, though. arrrh

Also, if you like this theme, another decent game abou shipbuilding is Shipyard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
Ireland
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MacGerdts wrote:
benstylus wrote:

Of course there will. Each of the 50 ships has a story to tell!
And Ralph H. Anderson kindly helped translating the booklet by polishing my poor English. Great job Ralph!

Oh Jeez, this just makes it even better! Mac, the attention to detail you're giving to this game is admirable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
Ireland
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumPhil wrote:
Take a look at "Dead Wake" by Erik Larson. It's mainly about the sinking of the Lusitania, but Larson also tells a good bit about the culture of transatlantic shipping and life aboard an ocean liner. It also tells something of life aboard a u-boat; not sure those appear in Transatlantic, though. arrrh

Also, if you like this theme, another decent game abou shipbuilding is Shipyard.

Thanks for the recommendation, Phil.

Shipyard looks great! Time to loosen those purse-strings once again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gragle wrote:
I've been really excited to play this game since its announcement - and this has also piqued my interest in ships, sihp building and shipping history.

I found this article about the QE2 on the BBC very interesting (I know it's outside of the date range of the game).

Can anyone recommend books, articles, etc. to get me started, please?

How about this to whet your whistle, as it were. Toot toot.

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/s/the-power-of-steam-a...

Of course, there is the veritable Wikipedia who are also after donations currently, with this page along with the usual exhaustive bibliographies at the bottom:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steamship

Hope this has helped.

M B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
Ireland
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mudshark_baby wrote:

How about this to whet your whistle, as it were. Toot toot.

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/s/the-power-of-steam-a...

Of course, there is the veritable Wikipedia who are also after donations currently, with this page along with the usual exhaustive bibliographies at the bottom:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steamship

Hope this has helped.

M B

Thanks! I really regret not going to the Riverside Museum when I lived in Glasgow. I'm sure they'd have plenty of books, ship models, etc. For me to geek-out over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Sharpe
England
Haywards Heath
flag msg tools
Hi

Try having a look in the online store of the Liverpool Maritime Museum. As one of the main ports of the time it's bound to have something.

It's also a great day out - full of model ships of all sizes, if you ever find yourself there.

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/onlineshop/books/maritime...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
Ireland
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sharpey09 wrote:
Hi

Try having a look in the online store of the Liverpool Maritime Museum. As one of the main ports of the time it's bound to have something.

It's also a great day out - full of model ships of all sizes, if you ever find yourself there.

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/onlineshop/books/maritime...

I'm embarrassed to say that I never visited Liverpool before, and this museum looks like the perfect excuse for me to correct that. Thanks for the recommendation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
Ireland
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some absolutely brilliant models and info at the Aberdeen Maritime Museum. Highly recommended. Next stop is the Riverside Museum in Glasgow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham
Ireland
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, the Riverside Museum was excellent, not entirely dedicated to ships, but many models and histories of paddle steamers to enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.