Pretender to the Throne of Alsace-Lorraine
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yup, five charter flights between Sep. 13th and Sep. 15th.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/19/tom-price-chartered...

Now, we all know that the Trump administration loves to burn government money like kindling, so I was just going to drop this in another thread, until I read the destinations:

It was between Maine, New Hampshire and Pennsyl-freaking-vania

Not even five states between them, two of which are small and adjacent. One flight, from Washington to Philadelphia, 135 miles, cost $25,000.

You might want to put on some hip waders before slogging through this horseshit of a statement:

Quote:
"As part of the HHS mission to enhance and protect the health and well-being of the American people, Secretary Price travels on occasion outside Washington to meet face to face with the American people to hear their thoughts and concerns firsthand,” an HHS spokesperson said, adding, “When commercial aircraft cannot reasonably accommodate travel requirements, charter aircraft can be used for official travel.”

Price’s spokespeople declined to comment on why he considered commercial travel to be unfeasible

Emphasis mine.

And of course he wants to slash staff: "Sorry we've gotta let ya go, Kevin, but you know I can't be breathing the same air as those tuberculars in coach."

I hope the Inspector General has a fucking field day with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:

Now, we all know that the Trump administration loves to burn government money like kindling, so I was just going to drop this in another thread, until I read the destinations:

Not even five states between them, two of which are small and adjacent. One flight, from Washington to Philadelphia, 135 miles, cost $25,000.

You might want to put on some hip waders before slogging through this horseshit of a statement:

Quote:
"As part of the HHS mission to enhance and protect the health and well-being of the American people, Secretary Price travels on occasion outside Washington to meet face to face with the American people to hear their thoughts and concerns firsthand,” an HHS spokesperson said, adding, “When commercial aircraft cannot reasonably accommodate travel requirements, charter aircraft can be used for official travel.”

Price’s spokespeople declined to comment on why he considered commercial travel to be unfeasible

Emphasis mine.

And of course he wants to slash staff: "Sorry we've gotta let ya go, Kevin, but you know I can't be breathing the same air as those tuberculars in coach."

I share the same hope. One question, and this is not rhetorical because I do not know, is besides reporting on it, what penalties or other sanctions can the IG levy on Price?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
toku42 wrote:

Quote:

Emphasis mine.

I share the same hope. One question, and this is not rhetorical because I do not know, is besides reporting on it, what penalties or other sanctions can the IG levy on Price?

I don't believe any, the IG, similar to the GAO, is a reporting body, the enforcement is left to other entities, although I could be wrong here.

But yes, this is yet another Trump admin excess, talking about "draining the swamp" out of one side of their mouth, while saying "Book me first class all the way" on the other side of their mouth. Sadly at taxpayer expense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Make him fly in a Nat Guard C-130. At least some military pilots get some flight hours out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
One flight, from Washington to Philadelphia, 135 miles, cost $25,000.

What??? For that price tag, I would expect some top-quality, um, in-flight service from some very comely "flight attendants."

shake

Probably cheaper to take a TARDIS, and faster, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Price is a man of the people.*

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Corporations are people, my friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You know, I think if you cup your hand to your ear and listen closely, you can almost hear the wailing of the banned, crying out in unison "But Obaamaaaa. . ."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
The Inspector General can't touch him:

The article wrote:
Ethics experts say the use of private charters by government officials, while legal, is highly dubious and in most cases a misuse of taxpayer funding.

Love how they concentrated on the flight from Dulles to Philadelphia, while not commenting on the flights between Vermont and New Hampshire. One of you New Englanders, just how does it take to drive from New Hampshire to Vermont -- 10, 20 minutes?

But hey, Trump gave the UN a real dressing down yesterday, right? And that's what they elected him to do -- be an ignorant, offensive loud-mouth boor while not getting one fucking thing done. Way to go, Trump voters, way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladies and gentleman, the party of small government and fiscal responsibility.

Also, I will cut you, Toku, for that Pennsyl-freaking-vania. It's Pennsyl-superfreaky-vania.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was Pennsyl-tucky? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:

Yeah, that's closer to where FightCity lives. I live in the civilized part of the state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:

Yeah, that's closer to where FightCity lives. I live in the civilized part of the state.

Thats fair. Here in Ohio, if your outside of Cleveland, Columbus or their suburbs, it might as well be the deep south.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

Love how they concentrated on the flight from Dulles to Philadelphia, while not commenting on the flights between Vermont and New Hampshire. One of you New Englanders, just how does it take to drive from New Hampshire to Vermont -- 10, 20 minutes?

Yeah, I wondered about that, too. My best guess is that was the only charter company willing to divulge their price to some snoopy reporter asking after a regular customer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
Ladies and gentleman, the party of small government and fiscal responsibility.

Also, I will cut you, Toku, for that Pennsyl-freaking-vania. It's Pennsyl-superfreaky-vania.

Freak you, and freak Pennsylvania.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
remorseless1 wrote:
One of you New Englanders, just how does it take to drive from New Hampshire to Vermont -- 10, 20 minutes?

In all honestly, it can be a huge pain in the next to get between parts of Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. Mountains form North/South barriers... and there aren't enough people to justify the expense of building a lot of East/West roads. The few that exist can become traffic nightmares around weekends.

There's a reason for the Maine stereotype of "you can't get they-ah from he-ah."

That said, for the life of me I can't figure out what the Secretary of the Treasury would ever have to visit Vermont.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmbmbmb
The dank IPAs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/21/tom-price-private-c...

So far, Politico has identified 24 charter flights since early May, costing upwards of $300,000.

Quote:
For example, Price took a Learjet-60 from San Diego to the Aspen Ideas Festival — a glamorous conference at the Colorado resort town — that arrived at 3:33 p.m. on Saturday afternoon, June 24, nearly 19 hours before his scheduled panel. That flight likely cost more than $7,100, according to one charter jet agency estimate.

Can you even begin to imagine the hysterics the GOP would be in if an Obama appointee wiped their ass with taxpayer money like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/21/tom-price-private-c...

So far, Politico has identified 24 charter flights since early May, costing upwards of $300,000.

Quote:
For example, Price took a Learjet-60 from San Diego to the Aspen Ideas Festival — a glamorous conference at the Colorado resort town — that arrived at 3:33 p.m. on Saturday afternoon, June 24, nearly 19 hours before his scheduled panel. That flight likely cost more than $7,100, according to one charter jet agency estimate.

Can you even begin to imagine the hysterics the GOP would be in if an Obama appointee wiped their ass with taxpayer money like this?

I don't have to wonder. Breitbart was still reporting on it in May of 2017.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/05/23/fitton-ob...

Also, gosh, did you know he still has secret service protection ON THE TAXPAYER DIME? OUTRAGE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Abercrombie
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
It's been confusion from the word go!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:

Thats fair. Here in Ohio, if your outside of Cleveland, Columbus or their suburbs, it might as well be the deep south.

There is a pocket of sanity in the north west along the lake shore too. Also we're generally friendlier. No incidents of booing Santa in these parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Civilized part of Pa is what most people call New York.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:
You know, I think if you cup your hand to your ear and listen closely, you can almost hear the wailing of the banned, crying out in unison "But Obaamaaaa. . ."

You know, in the bad old days, I remember someone or other finally getting cornered on some basic element of complete hypocrisy. Probably related to the debt ceiling, or the hated 0bummer's behavior at presidenting. Correct me if I'm wrong but the response was revealing: "I know it's hypocritical, but I don't care."

What kind of bullshit atavistic nihilism is this that has taken over an entire political party?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Sue_G wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
The Civilized part of Pa is what most people call New York.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Smith
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
“This is Secretary Price, getting outside of D.C., making sure he is connected with the real American people,” Charmaine Yoest, Price's assistant secretary for public affairs, told the Post. “Wasting four hours in an airport and having the secretary cancel his event is not a good use of taxpayer money.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/351871-prices-off...

Oh okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lola Granola
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would think he could connect with a lot of American people while he's waiting 4 hours at the airport. Or he could not go to the airport so early, that's way more than recommended for domestic travel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.