Sebastian
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hi,

i was able to buy the whole AH collection (except miskatonic)

how do i start now as a newbee? (played only eldritsch 3 times)

i guess i will start playing with just the main board.

which cards should i sort out? or should i leave every card in every deck to have the most variety from the start?

are there expansions that make the decks to hard for beginners?

any tips?

i plan to play solo, is playing with 2 investigators ok? or should i play with 3/4? how does the game scale?

cheers
Sebastian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play just the base to start. Add elements as you get more comfortable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would start with the core game for a couple of games without using any expansions with the possible exception of the injury and madness cards from Dunwich Horror, because they make it more unlikely that an investigator gets devoured.

After you have enough experience with the base game, you can start to add any small expansion. I would start with he Curse of the Dark Pharaoh and later with the King in Yellow.

After that it is time to add the big expansions, but only ever one board.

A good place to start are the Kungfro scenarios:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/69008/introductory-and-ex...

Catweazle has done playthroughs of these:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh-FZRH6EBIWhhHw5v645Kg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Item for Geeklist "Arkham Horror: Game Component Setups used by mccrispy" is my standard setup for playing the "base game".

There are some scenarios that were created by Tibs, you can find them here: Introductory and expansion scenarios or you could just start with the base game and work through each expansion in chronological order.

Taking either of those approaches will require that you at least start by separating all the components by expansion.

Once you've played a few games you'll decide that you are either a "theme maximiser" or an "all in" player. The former camp keeps their components separated by expansion and only uses what is necessary for each game "scenario", the "all in" player mixes it all in, all the time. You are balancing simplicity of setup/tear down against maximising theme.

There are some useful files to help you get to grips with the rules:
Universal Head ARKHAM HORROR Rules Summary & Reference
Arkham Horror Condensed Game Turn (Base and Expansion Versions)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cador2 wrote:
hi,
i plan to play solo, is playing with 2 investigators ok? or should i play with 3/4? how does the game scale?

3-4 investigators is probably the best approach.

cador2 wrote:
hi,

Innsmouth is probably the hardest expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cador2 wrote:
hi,

i was able to buy the whole AH collection (except miskatonic)

how do i start now as a newbee? (played only eldritsch 3 times)

I would start with the base game, and as one other suggested, I think I might begin with the Injury and Madness cards. They make the game easier IMO, while still maintaining the flavor of "Oh I hope this card isn't awful!" that AH has. Maybe play without those cards for 2 or 3 games, then add them in, so you understand their usefulness more though.
cador2 wrote:

i guess i will start playing with just the main board.

Yes, just the main one. The next one I would play with, probably, is Dunwich. I think it adds the fewest new mechanisms, maybe. Dunwich or Kingsport would be my vote.
cador2 wrote:

which cards should i sort out? or should i leave every card in every deck to have the most variety from the start?

I would either pull out the mythos cards with orange backgrounds in the bottom left corner, or just ignore that orange background when playing them. Actually I would probably sort/pull out all of the Mythos cards that are in an expansion (I think the icon is in the lower-right?). Many of them won't make sense unless you play with other stuff, or other boards, and it will give you more to discover as you do add those things in.
cador2 wrote:

Innsmouth, for sure, as someone else mentioned. I think I've heard Black Goat of the Woods does as well, but I haven't played it. You get more monsters with it, which would be harder.
cador2 wrote:

any tips?

Don't worry about missing rules, and don't get caught up in the mechanics. Enjoy the story for what it is, and you'll have a great time. This game is TOTALLY about the story (and the fact that you will very rarely win ). Getting rules right is important, but after a few games you should have it down. I'd also recommend printing off some of the files here on BGG. In particular I grabbed Universal Head's reference (that someone linked above), and a flow chart (I didn't look to see if the one linked above is the one I use, but any would be good). They are both very good to have just to learn the game, and when things pop up after that.
cador2 wrote:

I always play solo with 3 or 4 myself. There are too many things to get done with just 2 investigators, in my opinion.
cador2 wrote:

cheers
Sebastian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondkalb123 wrote:
I would start with the core game for a couple of games without using any expansions with the possible exception of the injury and madness cards from Dunwich Horror, because they make it more unlikely that an investigator gets devoured.

After you have enough experience with the base game, you can start to add any small expansion. I would start with he Curse of the Dark Pharaoh and later with the King in Yellow.

After that it is time to add the big expansions, but only ever one board.

Catweazle has done playthroughs of these:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh-FZRH6EBIWhhHw5v645Kg

This. Also, depending on where you are in Germany, you might be able to join an experienced AH player/group for a few games. New victims (umm... enthusiasts) are usually welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and definitely download Universal Head's game aid. Absolutely essential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondkalb123 wrote:

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 the Injury and Madness cards from Dunwich. Every other bit of expansion material is extra, but the I&M cards improve the game greatly (far less downtime), snd should always be used. IMO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric P
United States
Collinsville
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of us! One of us!

+1 Universal Head game aid (I have 8 of them in the box for our regular play group.)
+1 Injury/Madness from Dunwich

I'm also a fan of the apps that handle the location decks - the official iOS one is dying in the 64-bit change, but there is a solid Android one. This will save a lot of setup time and table space, and makes soloing simpler.

Also, if you end up being an "all-in" type player, go for Miskatonic - without it, expansion boards won't see much action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone said get the app!

Arkham Companion app is a time/space saver! A must have!

And welcome to the madness!

We are many!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all.

Should I also sort out the investigator cards from all expansions ? Like spells and weapons? Or can I leave those stacks with everything?

How can I see which monster belongs to which expansion?

(Getting the whole game at once is quite overwhelming:-) )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cador2 wrote:
Thank you all.

Should I also sort out the investigator cards from all expansions ? Like spells and weapons? Or can I leave those stacks with everything?

I would leave all monsters in, and all investigator cards. The only exceptions are I might take out Missions and Tasks (partly because I think they are lame, and partly because they make me mad when I draw them, and partly because I think you get a more 'pure' experience without them to start).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The monsters unfortunately don't have an expansion symbol, but there is a list:
http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Monster

Many players leave all the monsters together in the cup, some sort them by expansion, it's just a matter of taste. Also, some of the expansions monsters are more nasty ...

But you might want to sort things out according to the already mentioned scenarios (link above) for the sake of more thematic games.
If you mix all the stuff together, the themes of the expansions get diluted.

You can use all investigators with the base game, I believe; I am not sure whether some of them may need a starting special item from their expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric P
United States
Collinsville
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you got the collection, was everything already mixed?
If so, I would sort things out by expansion at first, if only so you get a feel for the base content first.

Sadly, there's not an expansion symbol printed on the monster tokens, but some Google-fu will get you the breakdown of what comes from each set.
Some people also use markers to color the un-marked edges of their tokens by expansion for easy sorting.

Most cards will be fine to leave mixed if the pack-up time is a hassle. Our group plays with all boards, but on the occasions we don't, we just set aside things that are from the removed expansions when they are drawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric P
United States
Collinsville
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cador2 wrote:

I hear you on this - we went from base only to base/Dunwich/Pharoah to ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING - lots of moving parts, but everything meshes surprisingly well.

I'm going to +1 the Universal Head files again, just because they can't get enough props for making the rules clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cador2 wrote:
Thank you all.

Seconding everyone else's comments - divide everything up by expansion, and then play with only the components from the base game (and possibly Madness/Injury cards) to start. This will give you a good feel. Kungfro's starting scenarios are great too in that they gradually introduce new elements to the game as you progress.

Here's what we do, but we've been playing awhile:
- Combine all common items, unique items, spells, skills, allies (variety)
- Combine location cards for the expansions you are using (theme), or combine all the locations (variety)
- Combine all gate cards (variety)
- Keep separate any specialized cards (corruptions, bank loans, curses, memberships, acts, etc, etc)
- Skew monster selection based on the ancient one in play (theme)
- Skew gate tokens based on the ancient one in play (theme)

The cards we always keep separate are the Mythos cards, using only the decks from the expansions we are playing. This is where a lot of the theme comes through for the particular boards or expansion in play.

Start with basics, though. Azathoth, Ithaqua and Yig are good starter AOs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfpack48 wrote:
[q="cador2"]
- Combine all common items, unique items, spells, skills, allies (variety)
- Combine location cards for the expansions you are using (theme), or combine all the locations (variety)
- Combine all gate cards (variety)
- Keep separate any specialized cards (corruptions, bank loans, curses, memberships, acts, etc, etc)
- Skew monster selection based on the ancient one in play (theme)
- Skew gate tokens based on the ancient one in play (theme)

For the most part, I agree all these provisions; very similar to what my group uses...

...Except...

You should only use the gate cards from expansions you are using in that game. Otherwise, dilution will keep the Other Worlds from expansions from showing off their special encounters and giving you the flavor of the World. Instead, you get a stream of "Other".

Thematic tweaking of the Monster Cup and Gate Tokens has to be done very carefully. Reducing the number of dimension symbols in the game will make things easier, as more monsters will be banished by the closing of gates. Trimming the token pile to match the cup makes this problem even worse.

One other note, though it is probably obvious; when you shuffle together a large expansion, small expansion and the base game, you should not worry about breaking everything down each time you play. Have a few games with the current conformation, then switch something out. (I actually bought a second base game, {cheap, on auction} so I could have two sets with different expansions to choose from.)

Welcome! And remember... follow the phases! (Yes, they do need to be kept separate and in order.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, start with the base game or use the KungFro scenarios for a guided tour of all the expansions (they also start with the base game). As an exception to this, I suggest you always play with the injury and madness cards and with the personal stories because these all tend to make the game slightly easier and more fun.

If you want to get up to speed quickly Catweazle's playthroughs can be a great help. They were already mentioned by Mondkalb123.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
started my first game yesterday. solo with 3 investigators.

had no problem with the rules.... can´t see why people mention this so often as a total clunky fiddly game....

and i have to say, i like it more than eldritch (i guess that is not the common opinion)

i like the whole atmosphere way more in arkham than in eldritch.
beeing in a shop and seeing the monsters on the streets and in the night sky is awesome! where in eldritch beeing in rome and next turn beeing in another major city feels not so immersive!

that you can move really fast in this game is also a big plus!

the focus is also great! i like it that you can adopt to the situation ahead!

going through the portals feels also great!

so far, this game is cool :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It becomes clunkier and fiddlier with more expansions, trust me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
No it doesn't, trust me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
cador2 wrote:

had no problem with the rules.... can´t see why people mention this so often as a total clunky fiddly game....

If you're only running vanilla AH, the game has quite a few moving parts, but not a crazy amount of them. But...

Once you're looking at 7 kinds of monster movement, 10 monster abilities, 13+ status effects, 9 gate types, heralds, guardians, institutions, three additional maps with their own sidemissions, ancient whispers, the king in yellow, the cult of the thousand, etcetcetcetc...

Only the most focused and masochistic players can/will run it all more than once. That being said, I'm pretty sure that every person who owns a full set plays a different standard setup, based on what expansions, rule variants and house rules they prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
senorcoo wrote:
No it doesn't, trust me.

You must never have tried playing with all of the expansions at once. When the Universal Head game aid is like 12 pages long, there's a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.