Small World» Forums » Variants

Subject: SmallWorld Deep Dwarves custom race PDF rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim M
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all

My cousins and I thought the Dwarves were underpowered so we created our own custom race called the Deep Dwarves. (I think this has been discussed at length in other topics as well).

I thought I'd share in case anyone can make use of them. Download the PDF and print, stick down to a blank race card. The rules are clear enough on the artwork, they get 2 gold from mines and can move from a mine location to another mine as though it were adjacent. Their 2 gold bonus stays in decline as well (declined art also designed).

They still have the low troop number, yet can make some victory points if used right.

Download:
Race board
http://www.mckinstryonline.com/smallworld/smallworld-DeepDwa...
Race tokens
http://www.mckinstryonline.com/smallworld/smallworld-race-to...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve PP
United Kingdom
Woolacombe
North Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can clarify.

Is that '+2 coins per mine'?
Is this '2 coins when taking OVER a mine, but no bonus after'?

Standard Dwarves are +1 per occupied Mine each turn.

Put another way: if Dwarves and Deep-Dwarves were both in the offer, is there ever an interesting choice to make?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, basically 2 coins per mine (each turn) and you can move adjacently to other mine regions. (Behaves like caves for the deep dwarves)

Compared to normal dwarves who only gain one coin per mine. And they cannot move from a mine region straight to another mine region.

I feel this gives the deep dwarves a fighting chance and strategic reason to choose them despite keeping the low troop numbers.

*We actually remove the normal dwarves and play the custom race instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actionman22 wrote:
Yes, basically 2 coins per mine (each turn) and you can move adjacently to other mine regions. (Behaves like caves for the deep dwarves)

I think you mean '+2' then, not '2'. Any race that gains additional coins from possessing a territory type or icon shows that with a '+'.

Quote:
Compared to normal dwarves who only gain one coin per mine. And they cannot move from a mine region straight to another mine region.

I feel this gives the deep dwarves a fighting chance and strategic reason to choose them despite keeping the low troop numbers.

*We actually remove the normal dwarves and play the custom race instead.

This being meant as a replacement, not an alternative, makes me a little sad.

3 coins per mine controlled and no token loss to move from mine to mine are very powerful together.

Turn 1 the DD probably get 2 mines (6 points). They have no reason to attempt to conquer anything but a mine, so unless they are forced to march overland to get to their first mine, that's where they will stay.

Second turn they get +1 or +2 more mines (9 or 12 points). After that, the question is to decline or not but look! They keep their in decline revenue!

It's a nice effort, but I feel that one of these three has to go:
a/ extra +1 coin above normal
b/ mine-to-mine movement
c/ maintaining bonus while in decline

Any two is probably a good compromise for those who feel the Dwarves are a bad race. All three can be amazingly powerful.

I also feel that there are no truly interesting decisions in this race. There is no question which spaces they will want to conquer, they have a power that enables going to ONLY those spaces and there is no tension concerning decline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with your above analysis that all 3 traits together are probably a bit more than needed. Personally, I think their most prominent trait is the continued extra coin while in decline. And I like the adjacency trait added. I don't know that the additional coin is needed, but that's just me.
byronczimmer wrote:

I also feel that there are no truly interesting decisions in this race. There is no question which spaces they will want to conquer, they have a power that enables going to ONLY those spaces and there is no tension concerning decline.

I don't feel that this↑ is a necessary consideration. There never have been any interesting decisions when it comes to the dwarves' race power in the first place. "Go for the mines, which are spread widely across the map, with only a few race tokens...riiiight." The "no truly interesting decisions" exists in equal measure among other races as well, such as the humans and wizards. The only way to leverage their race powers are to hit specific regions, just like the dwarves. The difference is that you get more tokens, which allows you to reach out further and/or defend better, thus setting them up better for decline. Dwarves are weak even in decline since you're lucky to lock down a few regions before declining, and even luckier still if the other players allowed you to nab/keep a mine or two.

The OP's dwarves aren't meant to be a new race, but merely an attempt to make an existing [terrible] race better. They're easily more interesting than the originals. But I'd recommend only adding the adjacency rule or the additional +1 coin to the original dwarves. Heck, what about 4 race tokens and the adjacency rule?

BTW, the artwork looks awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M
msg tools
mbmbmb
Guys, thanks for the feedback, pretty insightful.

I also had concerns they would be overpowered, yet my cousins pushed for all three additions. So I will probably re-visit the design after some more games. (The 2 gold does need a plus symbol on it, you're right).

I've used the Deep Dwarves once in a four-player and came joint first. It was a competitive game though maybe they gave me some extra easy points. I like the compromise of dealing with low token numbers but I will mull over the suggestions.

And yes, they were meant as a replacement for the stock Dwarves, as such a cool race being so weak made me sad lol.

Thanks again.
(Added the race tokens PDF)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you had a chance to tinker with these guys some more? I'm curious if you've played them differently, or if you've continued to play them as is. I've been playing Small World quite a bit recently both with friends and on Steam. And as usual I have passed up the dwarves every time. In fact, so has everyone else (except the AI on steam. They seem to be in love with the dwarves). The original dwarves just don't stand up to the other available races, especially with the expansion races/powers added. Of course there is the potential for a final turn cursed [original] dwarves money grab. But if that's the only time they get taken, then they clearly stink. I'm inclined to print yours off this weekend and try them as they are. But if you plan to nerf'em a little bit, then I'd be even more inclined to print them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Hey, where did you get the template for your own custom race and how did you edit it? It looks great and I had a ton of ideas I've been milling around. My family doesn't use the Underworld Expansion, so I was thinking of using some of those Race Banner and Tokens as the foundation, but I still need to edit/create my own to go over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.