Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
What's with all the games lately saying they're trick-taking when they're not? Plums, Honshū and now this.

I learned Spires last night and I really enjoyed it, but the mechanical components are:

1. Simultaneous action selection (the choice of which market to visit)

2. Blind bidding (to resolve conflicts)

3. Set collection (and avoidance)

Just because the blind bidding has a 'matching suit beats non-matching suit' rule doesn't make it trick-taking, which requires the cards to be played sequentially.

</pedant>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a tough, and losing, battle friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hulgan
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
What's with all the games lately saying they're trick-taking when they're not? Plums, Honshū and now this.

I'm super-duper with you on this conundrum. I like trick taking games. I like climbing games. I like blind bidding games. I also like knowing which one I'm dealing with when I check out a new game. They really aren't hard to distinguish from one another though.

Apparently, even in our insular hobby, trick-taking can be applied to any game where you play the best thing so you get a thing.

*sigh* It's a loosing battle indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TC Petty III
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
XENON PROFITEER 2015!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey don't ask me. I agree with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ting Pong IP
Hong Kong
Lai Chi Kok
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you too. I don’t think this is a game with trick-taking mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I've submitted a correction (remove Trick-taking, add Simultaneous action selection). We'll see what happens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ting Pong IP
Hong Kong
Lai Chi Kok
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar discussion for another game too: Radiant.

I don’t think that game has trick taking either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Starsunsky wrote:
I had a similar discussion for another game too: Radiant.

I don’t think that game has truck taking either.

If you're looking for truck taking, Zooloretto: TDG is pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
Where everyone involved plays cards to a common pool and the highest in-suit card takes the trick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
qwertymartin wrote:
Where everyone involved plays cards to a common pool and the highest in-suit card takes the trick.

Yes, that's the only element borrowed from trick taking. But the suit to follow isn't determined by the lead because everything is simultaneous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
Well I've submitted a correction (remove Trick-taking, add Simultaneous action selection). We'll see what happens!

Victory!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
doesn't make it trick-taking, which requires the cards to be played sequentially.
While this is a standard feature of most trick-taking games, I'm not sure that this is actually a requirement.

I can easily imagine a game where the leader publicly announces a suit and then players simultaneously choose a card to play. If the goal is to take a certain number of tricks then I'd still consider this a trick taking game... as the goal is to "take tricks" and thus is a "trick-taking" game. Especially if other typical rules of trick taking games are used, like "must follow suit", "highest card in suit wins", etc.

Sure, it would have a non-standard mechanism, but I think it would share more similarities to trick-taking games than to blind-bidding games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As with all these mechanical debates, there aren't clear-cut definitions and games often occupy the grey areas.

But per BGG's own definition: "Each player plays in turn order one card".

And traditional card games bible Pagat has: "A trick consists of each player in turn playing one card face up to the table"

Anyway, I think Spires is further away than your example, since there is plenty of action in the game other than the 'trick-taking' part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
As with all these mechanical debates, there aren't clear-cut definitions and games often occupy the grey areas.
Agreed.

qwertymartin wrote:
But per BGG's own definition: "Each player plays in turn order one card".

And traditional card games bible Pagat has: "A trick consists of each player in turn playing one card face up to the table"
I think those definitions encapsulate the commonly understood idea of trick-taking. They haven't been challenged because there haven't been games that have pushed that particular restriction. As soon as a game comes out about trick taking that uses simlutaneous play, it would force people to reconsider that definition.

qwertymartin wrote:
Anywyay, I think Spires is further away than your example, since there is plenty of action in the game other than the 'trick-taking' part.
I agree with you. I would consider Spires to be a game that had a tick-taking element in it rather than a trick-taking game.

But I think that's a better argument than claiming that trick-taking games must require sequential play... as I think that's merely a restriction that hasn't been challenged yet. If you look at the trick taking genre there are many different variants where some standard feature of trick-taking games has been changed or omitted. Games where you don't have to follow suit. Or the person with the highest card doesn't win the trick. Etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmb
I spend time every now and again looking at the latest entries to the trick-taking mechanism on BGG, and about half of them turn out to be not trick taking games at all, but just including some whisper of a trick-taking element. I feel these are used a bit like hashtags to try and get the game as wide an audience as possible, but it's a little annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.