Subject: Palmyra Allies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
This came up the other night. On card #4 Palmyra Allies you roll 4d6 and remove a Sassanid for each 4+ result. Do you roll 6's again as in combat and Place Governor actions?

The card doesn't say so so we didn't, but there was a school of thought that said it was effectively combat so we should.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Roig
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Barbarossa wrote:
This came up the other night. On card #4 Palmyra Allies you roll 4d6 and remove a Sassanid for each 4+ result. Do you roll 6's again as in combat and Place Governor actions?

The card doesn't say so so we didn't, but there was a school of thought that said it was effectively combat so we should.

I would say that you should NOT roll again, because it is just an event, not a Place Gobernor nor a Combat.

Normally in boardgaming, if a rule is not explicity written, means that doesn't exists, but hopefully Mr. Ferrell will bring some light here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
Yes, that was our reasoning - but on the other hand the card does say this is a battle ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just meant to be 4 dice straight up - no re-rolls. You can just play it as it reads. (I can see why you'd have the question, though.) Hope you enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
Great, thanks Brad. Impressed with the level of support for questions you offer via BGG.

I think the game's great - my slight concern is that the player who goes first and takes Gallia may find it easy to become Emperor early on and walk away with it. I understand that the game depends on players combatting this but in practice they tend to find it difficult to contest Rome and have enough to do firefighting in their own provinces. We've seen a consistent pattern of player 1 takes Gallia, player 2 Pannonia, player 3 Asia/Galatia, player 4 Egypt/Africa/Hispania, and coming in that order owing to player 1 taking the Empire with player 2 only able to get it after he's already clocked up 3 or 4 turns as Emperor.

I've considered having players choose provinces in reverse player order, although I'm not sure that this would help - whoever goes when the neutral empire is down to 1 or 2 provinces has the opportunity, although of course Gallia or Pannonia are the best bases for a power grab.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Roig
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Barbarossa wrote:
Great, thanks Brad. Impressed with the level of support for questions you offer via BGG.

I think the game's great - my slight concern is that the player who goes first and takes Gallia may find it easy to become Emperor early on and walk away with it. I understand that the game depends on players combatting this but in practice they tend to find it difficult to contest Rome and have enough to do firefighting in their own provinces. We've seen a consistent pattern of player 1 takes Gallia, player 2 Pannonia, player 3 Asia/Galatia, player 4 Egypt/Africa/Hispania, and coming in that order owing to player 1 taking the Empire with player 2 only able to get it after he's already clocked up 3 or 4 turns as Emperor.

I've considered having players choose provinces in reverse player order, although I'm not sure that this would help - whoever goes when the neutral empire is down to 1 or 2 provinces has the opportunity, although of course Gallia or Pannonia are the best bases for a power grab.

I've won starting in Africa as 4th player in Africa, therefore, at least, it can be done.

What I don't see clear is how can take the player 1 Italy the first. I really cannot see how is that possible in a normal game. If all players take a second Province, Italy has still Support 4. That means that the first player needs 8 votes from Senate.

Normaly player one and two take their 3rd province and player 3 or 4 take Italy... At least, that is how I've seen it always...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Ferrell
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Barbarossa wrote:
I think the game's great - my slight concern is that the player who goes first and takes Gallia may find it easy to become Emperor early on and walk away with it. I understand that the game depends on players combatting this but in practice they tend to find it difficult to contest Rome and have enough to do firefighting in their own provinces. We've seen a consistent pattern of player 1 takes Gallia, player 2 Pannonia, player 3 Asia/Galatia, player 4 Egypt/Africa/Hispania, and coming in that order owing to player 1 taking the Empire with player 2 only able to get it after he's already clocked up 3 or 4 turns as Emperor

Quick question. What about Gallia makes it so easy to take Emperor? That it is adjacent to Italia? A quick summary of the first say three/four turns of your games would be helpful (sounds like they all play out the same). If you could send it to our BGG email that would be great. I don't want to diverge on to another topic in this thread.

thanks, Wray
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
ChichoBluesMan wrote:
What I don't see clear is how can take the player 1 Italy the first. I really cannot see how is that possible in a normal game. If all players take a second Province, Italy has still Support 4. That means that the first player needs 8 votes from Senate.

I'd answer this, but I don't want to give away my plans for my next game to anyone from my group who might be watching
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.