Subject: Do we finally have a game system that could work for Myst! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Jefferies
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My name is Oobydoob Scooby-dooby Banooby. I have the silliest name in the galaxy. (Thumb Wars)
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved the whole Myst puzzle-game series for PC (only computer games I've ever played) and it dawned on me last night that the way 7th Continent works would fit perfectly with the different worlds in Myst! You'd need a 'Clue book' to keep track of things you find...like you did with the PC game...but how cool would it be to explore different worlds by touching the linking books! Each world would not need to be as big as 7th Continent, but wow...I'd be all over that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That could work!

you don't like actual "puzzle game" approach so much?? laugh
http://tableflipsyou.blogspot.com/2017/07/episode-110-myst.h...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife loved the Myst/Riven series of PC games, and when we started playing this, she mentioned that it strongly reminded her of those games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the reason for me to back up this game was precisely to further the development of such game systems. I'm hopeful this will lead into more great entries in the genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
I 100% support this and I've not even played 7th Continent. The closest thing to Myst/Riven/Exile that I've played in the board game world would be TIME Stories. I'm going to have to hunt down 7th Continent now, if that's even possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
WisdomForWizards wrote:
I 100% support this and I've not even played 7th Continent. The closest thing to Myst/Riven/Exile that I've played in the board game world would be TIME Stories. I'm going to have to hunt down 7th Continent now, if that's even possible.

Second Kickstarter campaign is in less than a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CheddarLimbo wrote:
WisdomForWizards wrote:

And there we go, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WisdomForWizards wrote:
CheddarLimbo wrote:
WisdomForWizards wrote:

You're totally the best at hunting things down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSpy wrote:
WisdomForWizards wrote:
CheddarLimbo wrote:
WisdomForWizards wrote:

You're totally the best at hunting things down.

He must have used his boomerang/bow/blowpipe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Man
msg tools
Bolas all the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stuible
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh that would be amazing. Loved Myst in my young ages.

Maybe therefor they should combine 7th continent and Time Stories. Walking outside on the island and searching for places with the 7th coninent map and system and then when you enter a room the room appears in big cards like in Time Stories where you can search in detail for clues and hidden things.

ahh that would be an amazing fan Project
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Rasmussen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I greatly enjoy and admire both the Myst series and the 7th Continent. I consider both to be gamechangers in their respective fields. And on the surface they might seem liek a great match, but I think a designer looking to combine them'd face a few problems.

The biggest differences would be 1) the survival aspect of 7thC which doesn't really match the leisurely stroll you usually take through the Ages of the Myst games, 2) the gaminess and luck aspect of the action deck. There's no luck involved in the Myst games, just your ability to figure out the puzzles, and 3) the fairly simple puzzles of 7thC (spot the differences, which way to pull the lever etc.) compared to the multi-locational puzzles in the Myst games, which sometimes required you to connect the dots on a fairly large, geographical scale before you could start to figure out a solution (mainly thinking of Riven here).

None of these are impossible hurdles. But I couldn't imagine the plodding, ponderous Myst games ported into the scramble-for-survival game system of 7thC as-is. I think it'd take quite a bit of rejigging of the system to make that work and still feel like Myst.

I'd love for someone to try, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Pjandy wrote:
That could work!

you don't like actual "puzzle game" approach so much?? laugh
http://tableflipsyou.blogspot.com/2017/07/episode-110-myst.h...

I own the Myst board game. Admittedly, it's a pretty terrible game. I have to keep it though - I'm a huge Myst fan! I would love a good game that channels the "Myst" feel.
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skrir wrote:

The biggest differences would be 1) the survival aspect of 7thC which doesn't really match the leisurely stroll you usually take through the Ages of the Myst games, 2) the gaminess and luck aspect of the action deck. There's no luck involved in the Myst games, just your ability to figure out the puzzles, and 3) the fairly simple puzzles of 7thC (spot the differences, which way to pull the lever etc.) compared to the multi-locational puzzles in the Myst games, which sometimes required you to connect the dots on a fairly large, geographical scale before you could start to figure out a solution (mainly thinking of Riven here).

1. I know that the MYST series is all a leisurely stroll, but I think you could do that universe with the survival aspect of 7thC and it would be just fine.

2. This is where the TIME Stories system comes in. There is no luck in solving those puzzles. Maybe luck solving them in one run, but I don’t consider this relevant to the capacity to figure out the puzzles. You could essentially play TIME Stories with unlimited time points and you’d be playing a simpler version of a MYST type game.

3. There would definitely have to be an increase in difficulty of puzzles as that’s what the MYST series was known for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.