Lovecraft Letter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cthulu and the 7 cards. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Bradford
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a situation come up today that we weren't 100% certain how to handle.

Someone had managed to get 2 (might have even been 3) Insanity cards in their discard pile, survived the check and ended up with Cthulhu and the The Shining Trapezohedron. Cthulhu would have let the player win the GAME BUT the Trapezohedron seems like it would have overruled that and caused the player to only win the ROUND, not the GAME.

We played it so the player won the round, but wanted to know if that was how it should have been played. If they'd had the other 7 card presumably they'd have had to discard that and the game would have continued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezequiel Genender
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we take into account the wording used on other Love Letter games, which is:
If you have the number 7 card, and card #5 or card #6, you must play number 7.
In that case, you could always discard #8 and loose (but you probably wouldn't).

The wording changed here, arguably because it is a more concise way of saying the same thing. But we get stuck with a rule change regarding #8.
It also makes me wonder if this situation came up in playtesting, and also if they realised the change of wording actually meant a change of mechanisms.

I guess the way you resolved is coherent with the written rules. But thinking back to other Love Letter games makes me wonder if the change of wording actually violated a the rules as proposed by Seiji Kanai.

All we got is wait for a Publisher's confirmation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Merillon
France
Paris
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
According to the rules, an insane player can still choose to apply the sane effect of a card.

When the Trapezohedron is held by an insane player, its sane effect is ignored, which does not necessarily mean it cannot be chosen: in many card games, an ignored effect is an empty effect. If an insane player could still choose the empty sane effect, when holding both the Trapezohedron and Cthulhu, they would be allowed to discard Cthulhu and win the game instead of the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Schkeuditz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmb
My problem is, that 'ignored' is not really defined. It could also mean, that you cannot chose it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I think the rules are clear enough, just not clearly explained in one place:

Usually when you're insane, you can choose to play an insane card for either effect.

But the Shining Trapezohedron and the Silver Key have their effects when they're in your hand. So if you have the Trapezohedron and Cthulhu in your hand, the Trapezohedron's effect kicks in immediately.

And the rules also say that in this case, the Trapezohedron's sane effect is ignored. This doesn't contradict the usual rule that you can choose to play an insane card for its sane effect, because the insane effect kicks in and you win the round before you play anything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Schkeuditz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
I think the rules are clear enough, just not clearly explained in one place:

Usually when you're insane, you can choose to play an insane card for either effect.

But the Shining Trapezohedron and the Silver Key have their effects when they're in your hand. So if you have the Trapezohedron and Cthulhu in your hand, the Trapezohedron's effect kicks in immediately.

And the rules also say that in this case, the Trapezohedron's sane effect is ignored. This doesn't contradict the usual rule that you can choose to play an insane card for its sane effect, because the insane effect kicks in and you win the round before you play anything!

Sounds good. Thanks for your explanation.

It would have been clearer, if they just hadn't put the extra insane effect on the card. It only confuses and has no purpose. The same goes for the Text about 'ignoring'. I ignore the sane rules when playing the
Trapezohedron, but the rules for playing the Trapezohedron insane are the same. The only difference between sane and insane is an automatic effect that can trigger while I have the card on my hand. I'm sure this could have been phrased a lot better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.