Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Nutting
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this question has been answered before, but I have tried searching and have had no luck finding an answer.

When you have the skill Fireball (for example); It states "Magic [bang][bang]: +3{sword]

How many dice and what color do you roll when you use the Fireball skill?

Also is anyone else having a hard time distinguishing blue from green on the item cards where it tells you how many dice to roll??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marbury
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You don't necessarily use Fireball as a skill. It's more of when you roll your magic attack dice, if you get two bams, add three wounds to your roll. Or at least that's been my interpretation of the way those mechanics work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevyn James
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fireball is triggered when you have enough bams from doing a Magic type attack.

So you would roll however many dice are associated with the weapon(s) you are using to make a magic attack.

So, if you have a staff and sceptor equipped and they give 1 red and 2 yellow, you roll those 3 dice.

If you then get 2 bams, you may trigger fireball and add 3 hits (swords) to whatever other swords rolled on the dice for a grand total of successful hits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronny Van Opstal
Belgium
Herentals
flag msg tools
Peanutt wrote:

Also is anyone else having a hard time distinguishing blue from green on the item cards where it tells you how many dice to roll??

Apart from the colours, there is another way to distinguish between the two types of defense dice on an item card and that is the position where they are printed. Blue dice are always printed at the top, green dice beneath that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peanutt wrote:

Yes, we were 'til we realized the Blue is on the top "line" and Green is on the bottom in the attribute box. Still if you look at it quick you can miss even that. We've done it enough. You have to look closely.

In a couple of quests played so far we struggled with getting the dice and colors wrong and also have missed some of the monster abilities when fighting. We have resolved to assign one player to have and keep the monster cards in front of him to communicate the number of dice and colors and to manage the monster skills. It has smoothed out game play a lot and we've gotten to a point where we're actually taking totally legal and complete hero turns...and not realizing two turns later that you missed something or rolled blue instead of green...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Nutting
United States
Pittsfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies, they have cleared up the issue with magic skills.

I'll look more closely at the cards and see if I can distinguish the "upper" and "lower" numbers.

This was my first time playing MD and I did it solo. The game was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed the mechanics. It is a nice blending of Black Plague and The Others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jos Black
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Schmarbs523 wrote:
if you get two bams, add three wounds to your roll.

You get three swords, not wounds. Swords can be blocked by shields rolled on the defense dice, wounds can't?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Rose
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't sure about the two different levels on some cards when there was only one type of die listed. I noticed that the red/green on the lower level are next to the little arrow on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Duminil
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also note that you have to spend the Bams.

e.g. If you rolled 2 Bams, you have to choose between using Fireball or Freeze (if you already acquired both).

And if you got 4 Bams, you can't trigger the Fireball twice in the same attack as it don't have the Repeat keyword.

Scooters76 wrote:
I noticed that the red/green on the lower level are next to the little arrow on the card.

Yes, there is an arrow next to the better dice.

In the same topic, if there are Enchantments or Skills that add/remove a specific dice, you can distinguish it by the symbol (if you have difficulties to distinguish the color):
* dice with 1 sword: yellow
* dice with 2 swords: red
* dice with 1 shield: blue
* dice with 2 shields: green

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.