Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Shunta
United States
Norton Shores
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having a hexagon table commissioned for TI4. Does anyone have any advice either theory-crafting or experience in having such a table crated for TI3?

Would a hexagon with 21" sides be sufficient?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to measure, but that seems like it would be a pretty tiny table for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
I normally play on a 5x5 square table or a 7x4 rectangle table. The 5x5 square is barely enough although we utilize side tables for cards. The 7x4 works better for 6 players. Should be able to handle 8 as well, but we haven't tried it since I got it.

6' diameter round/hexagonal is probably the best way to go. I think that is what we use at the conventions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
A good way to make sure you are getting a table is to make the dimensions and cut it out of paper, then setup the game on it to see if you need a larger space.

If I was going to make a custom ti4 table I think I would do a 8' diameter octogon, so that it seats 8. I'd want around 2 1/2' - 3' arm space per section for the 8 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for reference:

Jimb0v wrote:

For a regular hexagon, the distance from a corner to opposite corner is double the length of side, so that would only be 42 inches (3.5 feet) across at the widest.

MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
6' diameter round/hexagonal is probably the best way to go. I think that is what we use at the conventions.

A hexagon with 36 inches (3 feet) per side would be 72 inches (6 feet) between opposite corners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Shunta
United States
Norton Shores
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadious wrote:
Just for reference:

Jimb0v wrote:

For a regular hexagon, the distance from a corner to opposite corner is double the length of side, so that would only be 42 inches (3.5 feet) across at the widest.

MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:

A hexagon with 36 inches (3 feet) per side would be 72 inches (6 feet) between opposite corners.

Yeah. This helps for reference too: https://imgur.com/xlCqIhs. It shows TI4 set up on a table with a 3ft x 3ft mat.

This table illustrates exactly what I want to avoid. The players are so far apart from each other. 3.5 feet probably is not going to cut it, but I think 6 feet between opposite corners is going to be way too big.

I'll just have to lay it all out and see. Part of the issue is trying to figure out how much space each player needs to put their stuff. We typically play with side-tables, but I'm not sure if I want to design the table with that requirement or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Shunta
United States
Norton Shores
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:
A good way to make sure you are getting a table is to make the dimensions and cut it out of paper, then setup the game on it to see if you need a larger space.

If I was going to make a custom ti4 table I think I would do a 8' diameter octogon, so that it seats 8. I'd want around 2 1/2' - 3' arm space per section for the 8 players.

Yeah, I like your suggestion about paper. I will probably do that!

Maybe I will consider an octagon table, instead. It just seems like it will have to be so much bigger, and we probably won't see a TI4 8 player expansion for at least a year, and possibly much longer (if ever).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert P
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it certainly isn't normal looking, but for a high player count game with a need for a lot of components, I've often thought about an "8 pointed pinwheel design." If space is not a problem and you are custom making the table, this may be a shape worth considering --players are not kept too far apart from one another and have access to the center of the table while at the same time, each having their own personal section of table (the "blade" of the pinwheel) in front of them for their tableau and personal game pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Shunta
United States
Norton Shores
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I took some pictures and meauremens. I can't see anyway it would fit at less than a 60inch diameter. Maybe you could get away with 58.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jimb0v wrote:
Well I took some pictures and meauremens. I can't see anyway it would fit at less than a 60inch diameter. Maybe you could get away with 58.

so a 5foot x 5foot table (square) should be ok?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played TI3 on long rectangular tables, which may not be ideal, but has always worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pratt
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're planning for the future, one dimension I can give you is that a 4 ring TI4 galaxy fits on a 45" wide table and it looked like it still had enough space for a 5th ring beyond, but not much else.

(Yes, my group has already played a TI4 game with 8 players and a 4th ring - I'll probably post up some stuff on how it was done soon).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Shunta
United States
Norton Shores
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You must have used side tables for player race sheets and other faction components?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimb0v wrote:
Lowecore wrote:

Yeah, I like your suggestion about paper. I will probably do that!

Maybe I will consider an octagon table, instead. It just seems like it will have to be so much bigger, and we probably won't see a TI4 8 player expansion for at least a year, and possibly much longer (if ever).

You can also use lengths of yarn to make the 'border' and figure out the measurements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.