Dade Zobbi
msg tools
This entry is for the 2017 Mint Tin Design Contest

3 Lands or King

Designer: Dade Zobbi

Two Houses against each other, one kingdom to conquer!

No. players:2

Play time: 15-30 minutes

Area Influence / Grid Movement/ Deterministic/ Abstract

Components:
5 Land cards
10 Armies (pawns)
2 Reference cards
1 Score (dashboard) card
2 Score markers

After many playtest I uploaded the new (2.0) version of the game (rules and PnP file)

In a nutshell the BONUS of the soldier changes, but now the game seems very smooth and more challenging and fun.

Thanks to all of you for your important feedback!

Rules V 2.0

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BZAXFy4ZXgzGKm99BefCBLpJp_B...

PNP V 2.0 file ready
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6g8RR2-WLFTMkM1SDV3MXg5TGc

This is my first entry in a BGG contest so I would like to thank you in advance for any help and suggestion...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] 3 Lands or King - 2017 Mint Tin Design Contest [Idea Phase]
Welcome! And this looks like it just came of the shelf! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Patts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Art looks great... interested to see how it plays!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iyidin Kyeimo
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks a bit further on than idea phase, basically ready for the kickstarter!

I'd have another go at your name/logo though, "3 Lands" reads as "Blands"

Quote:
bland /bland/ adj lacking strong features or characteristics and therefore uninteresting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dade Zobbi
msg tools
@ Iyidin Thanks for your suggestion about the logo! As you can see I'm still not ready for Kickstarter

I like to work on the graphic side of the projects, that's why the game already have a sort of "appeal" but I can ensure you that I'm treating this one absolutely as an Idea Phase...

I hope all you guys will be so kind to help me to improve (or maybe kill...) the "idea".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Taylor
msg tools
Re: [WIP] 3 Lands or King - 2017 Mint Tin Design Contest [Idea Phase-Rules ready]
Wow, the artwork is super polished on this. Nice work. I can't wait for the PNP file to try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One K
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] 3 Lands or King - 2017 Mint Tin Design Contest [Idea Phase-Rules ready]
Nice artwork mate. I like it already. Can't wait to see the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] 3 Lands or King - 2017 Mint Tin Design Contest [Components Ready]
Very professional looking. Will try it out this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it this weekend. Quite fun. I'll give.write-up on it laterwhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dade,
I played it this weekend and I have to say that it went quite fast. I love that it's so quick! It felt like a "best of three" type of game but with a great theme.

Since it went so fast, I didn't take very good notes after the first couple of turns, but it's easy enough for me to recall.

Of course like tic-tac-toe, Evan went first and put his Soldier in the middle of the SUNYDD zone (which we renamed Sunny-D). I placed my Soldier in the upper corner. He placed his Flag in the opposite corner. I placed my Catapult in the other upper corner to block his 3 in a row. He placed his Catapult in the upper middle to block me. I placed my knight to block his next move.

Then we were able to move Flag and Knight back and forth (with me always being on the defensive) forever--a stalemate.

We decided to homerule that you could not move the same unit twice in a row.

We started over, but pretty much had the same setup. Once again, I was on the defensive since his Soldier was in the middle and could not moved out. Evan won.

Knowing that I'd try the same strategy, he chose ASTERLISSA. I put my Flag in the middle, and we played the basic tic-tac-toe block during placing. Now that the middle space could be contested, the game was more interesting (but it was still fast as I won in about 5 moves).

Now here's where it got frustrating. I knew that whatever territory I choose, Evan would put his Soldier in the middle, forcing me on the defense the entire game. Since the territory didn't really matter, I chose AFUKIN, knowing that I was facing "afukin loss."

Sure enough, that happened, and he won 3 games out of two.

I love how fast the game goes and how it enhances tic-tac-toe with some more strategy and theme.

However, I really believe that the Soldier is OP and would suggest looking at that a bit more!

Cheers!
MH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dade Zobbi
msg tools

Hi Mike!

First of all thanks for your really precious feedback!

Just a couple of notes to clarify you some points (my fault of course, probably the rules are not clear enough...)

You said: "Evan went first and put his Soldier in the middle of the SUNYDD zone (which we renamed Sunny-D). I placed my Soldier in the upper corner."

...and: "I placed my Catapult in the other upper corner to block his 3 in a row. He placed his Catapult in the upper middle to block me.

You can't do that!
From rules:
The opponent (Here's my mistake...shall be understood as follows: "each player when make his move") responds by placing an Army (which has to be always different compared to the one just positioned by the enemy, unless the player has no other Armies and has no other option but to place the same one as their opponent).

Following the above rule you'll see that the territory will really matter because of Malus, in fact...

(from rules) "When an Army lands on (or is pushed onto) its Malus space, the pawn is tipped over and it loses its Bonus.
The next move for the Army under Malus will only be the simple standard move of 1 space at a time in any direction. "

Also about the stalemate Rules states:
"In case a move/position is repeated twice or more times, the House that made the first move in the battle has the honour to interrupt the stalemate."
(Thanks to your suggestion I will cut the "...or more times" part

I will certainly reflect on the soldier (bonus and value...)
... but if you'll try the game again, my little tactical tip is:
if Evan starts with the soldier in the middle ...put your flag on its side...or
...try to fight your battle without your flag (using your archer of course

Anyway, thanks, thanks and thanks again!
You can't imagine how important your feedback is!

Cheers!
DZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi DZ,

I printed the components and read the rules. Just from the wording in the rules I have some proposals.

Each unit has an ability, which is always active unless de-activated by special terrain. It might be just me, but the terms Bonus and Malus are synonyms for + and - effects for a standard condition.
In this case the ability is already the standard and sometimes it gets de-activated by terrain.

Next, I would replace the word "acquainted" by the word "adjacent".

I know these changes will cause many little changes in the rulebook, but I guess it will ultimately make it clearer.

Dark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dade Zobbi
msg tools

Hi Dark

Thanks for your suggestions!
I agree with you, I'll change the rulebook ASAP!

On that note could you suggest me some term to replace BONUS and MALUS titles on the reference cards?

Thanks again!

DZ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dadodice wrote:

On that note could you suggest me some term to replace BONUS and MALUS titles on the reference cards?
Hmmm... you could say that each unit has an "ABILITY" which can be "BLOCKED" or "NEGATED" by specific terrain.

"...if a unit moves or is pushed onto a terrain space which blocks its ability, flip it to its blank side. It regains its ability at the end of the turn where it was moved to a terrain space not affecting this unit."

or something along these lines...

Dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my compliments for graphic work ... very professional
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
Currently working on: Tinmates
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question about the PnP document. It seems as though it's set up so you can print duplex and have the backs of cards lined up with the fronts but if you print duplex aren't you going to have black on the back of the white tokens and white on the back of the black? or is this intentional and I've misunderstood the rules/components?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dade Zobbi
msg tools
Simon_Milburn wrote:
I have a question about the PnP document. It seems as though it's set up so you can print duplex and have the backs of cards lined up with the fronts but if you print duplex aren't you going to have black on the back of the white tokens and white on the back of the black? or is this intentional and I've misunderstood the rules/components?

Hi Simon!
You're right but the duplex print option wasn't really in my plans...(a very difficult goal to achieve because of the slip of the sheet in the printer
Anyway if you want to try the duplex print I can make a correct file for you...

Thanks!!

D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Fisher
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Downloaded. Those lands are pretty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dade Zobbi
msg tools
f15h wrote:
Downloaded. Those lands are pretty

Thanks Ian!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dade Zobbi
msg tools
Hi everyone,

After many playtest I uploaded the new (2.0) version of the game (rules and PnP file)

In a nutshell the BONUS of the soldier changes, but now the game seems very smooth and more challenging and fun.

Thanks to all of you for your important feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Printed it off today, hoping to get a playtest in this week and some last minute feedback for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dade Zobbi
msg tools
Simon_Milburn wrote:
Printed it off today, hoping to get a playtest in this week and some last minute feedback for you!

Thanks Simon!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What an interesting and good looking game. The art, graphic design and rules are all excellent. The only thing I didn't quite like was using the term "Value." it seemed a bit less thematic than using "Might" or "Dominance" would be.

The other thing that struck me was that you could easily make the lands double-sided. You could perhaps randomly flip 2 or 3 at the start of the game. It might give a little extra replay-ability (which is especially important considering it seems a quick game you can play a few times in one sitting.) With slight variations on the Malus spaces I feel you would have more variety in the strategic thinking when considering which army pieces to use.

I really like the way you have twisted 3-in-a-row and I'm looking forward to testing it. Do you have any plans on creating a low-ink pnp file?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dadodice wrote:
Simon_Milburn wrote:

Thanks Simon!!!

Sorry to say that I didn't get a chance to play good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dade Zobbi
msg tools
AlexCannon wrote:
What an interesting and good looking game. The art, graphic design and rules are all excellent. The only thing I didn't quite like was using the term "Value." it seemed a bit less thematic than using "Might" or "Dominance" would be.

The other thing that struck me was that you could easily make the lands double-sided. You could perhaps randomly flip 2 or 3 at the start of the game. It might give a little extra replay-ability (which is especially important considering it seems a quick game you can play a few times in one sitting.) With slight variations on the Malus spaces I feel you would have more variety in the strategic thinking when considering which army pieces to use.

I really like the way you have twisted 3-in-a-row and I'm looking forward to testing it. Do you have any plans on creating a low-ink pnp file?

Thanks for your feedback Alex!

The double-sided land was in my plans for the future, I would say that this is a "trial" version of the game

Also thanks for suggesting me to use "Might" instead "Value"thumbsupthumbsup

As soon as possible I'll upload an "outline" low-ink version!

Thanks again!

D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |