Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Player Elimination mechanic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Lerberg
msg tools
Guys do you like or dislike player elimination ?
Poll
How do you feel about player elimantion mechanic ?
It's fun
It's stupid
It doesn't bother me
If it's less than 15 min it's alright
If it's less than an hour it's fine
If it's less than 2 hours it's ok
Pizza is the Best !!!
      76 answers
Poll created by get2point

I am designing a game, that might have that aspect but i'd like it short so it doesn't bother people too much.

Would you guys be fine with a game that takes about 20 - 40 minutes of play where players might get eliminated in about the last quater of the game ?

Also Pizza is life.
Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew van Laar
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Could you give an explanation on how/why a player is eliminated? If its based on strategy versus blind luck I think that it would affect my choice as I imagine it would for others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Can 4 players gang up to reliably eliminate the 5th player repeatedly?

Is there a reason the player is eliminated for 10 minutes, versus being mathematically eliminated from victory, but not eliminated from play?

How many rounds of play will elimination last for (not time, measure this one in interesting decisions that the player won't be able to make)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
A light filler, where a round can be played in just a few minutes, and a game in under 15, then okay with player elimination. Think Love Letter as a good example. Longer than that, why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that player elimination is something that the BGG conventional wisdom tends to frown pretty heavily upon. You don't have to design a game based on the BGG conventional wisdom. At the same time, it's the conventional wisdom for a reason -- because sitting around watching other people play a game isn't generally very enjoyable.

So, possible solutions are to make sure that you don't have to sit around for too long if you're eliminated, or that it's enjoyable to sit around and watch other people play the game in question. A third approach is to let an eliminated player "respawn", with a serious uphill climb but at least a theoretical chance of getting back in and winning. A more novel approach, which I don't think I've yet seen, would be to give eliminated players some way to continue to participate in the game substantively (i.e. not just "oh good you're eliminated, now you get to deal out the cards to the rest of us each round").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I played Werewolf, there were about 12 people (family, including kids). They thought it was fun to kill me off as the first victim (no hard feelings). What that meant was I got to do exactly zero play in my first game. It turned me off to the game due to the player elimination since they got to play for about another 20-30 minutes. it was anti climactic and not fun to me. I have played, and enjoyed the game since then, but it took me a while to try it again since the ratio of time between elimination and total game can be very skewed. If you can pull off player elimination only at the end, that may be pretty cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Siege: The Castle-Crashing Card Game of Medieval Mayhem has player elimination, but eliminated players become the Plague and still get a turn to mess with another player. I liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goh
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that it comes down to how strictly the elimination mechanic is implemented. Is it a 100% strict elimination where the eliminated player has an absolute 0% chance to interact with the game from there on, and has no stake on its eventual results? Or is it the kind of elimination where the player is excluded from 90-95% of the gameplay, but still has an incentive to stay on and observe because they can still affect changes slightly later on?

I try to shy away from making absolute statements when it comes to game design, but in the first case (100% elimination), I just can't see any circumstances where doing elimination in this manner brings value to the game, even if the playtime is very short. Intuitively, it feels like there'll always be an alternative design choice that would at the very least allow for some participation from eliminated players, which is a good thing no matter what.

In the second case, what comes to mind is Town of Salem, a browser game that's heavily inspired from Werewolf/Mafia. Elimination is a huge part of the game, but eliminated players are motivated to stay on and observe because they can still win with their teammates who are still alive. In some cases, eliminated players can also still interact with the game (due to certain a player role that allow them to speak with the dead). Still, games tend to be quite long, so dying on the first few turns can be a real fun-killer if it happens repeatedly.

One interesting way to pull off the elimination mechanic could be to do what Survivor (the TV series!) does with its "final jury" mechanic, where at the end, eliminated players are ultimately the ones that decide who - among those still playing - should be the victor. It could bring an interesting dimension to the board game it's been implemented to, where players are not only trying to stay alive, but also to win the votes of the eliminated as the game progresses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lerberg
msg tools
byronczimmer wrote:

Can 4 players gang up to reliably eliminate the 5th player repeatedly?

Is there a reason the player is eliminated for 10 minutes, versus being mathematically eliminated from victory, but not eliminated from play?

How many rounds of play will elimination last for (not time, measure this one in interesting decisions that the player won't be able to make)?

Ganging up may occur and You may slightly compare it to King Of Tokyo I believe but only slightly and also it's not going to be very rewarding. The elimination must* happen, but it mostlikely will not until the very end of the game, for example in last 3 out of 10 rounds. Let's say each round is 5 min.

*I want to avoid situations like in Bang or Cash and Guns, were player might die at the begining but being eliminated is part of the game and I am thinking about adding some power of interaction to the eliminated player but then again I want to avoid 'King Making' situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lerberg
msg tools
andrewvanlaar wrote:
Could you give an explanation on how/why a player is eliminated? If its based on strategy versus blind luck I think that it would affect my choice as I imagine it would for others.

It's part of the theme and it's going to be strategic but some luck might be involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PE gets flack, but, if the alternative is playing the game and realizing nothing you do will help you, then PE. I wouldn't want to play a game where I was 10 VP behind, and every action I take gives me 1 VP while everyone else is gaining 3 or more per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.