Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really think my friend and I would enjoy a duel-style, two-player card game, like Magic: the Gathering. The problem is that neither of us will play anything with magic, spells, or other such supernatural elements.... So, an obvious answer would be Android: Netrunner, right? The only problem there is that I'm concerned about having to buy lots and lots of packs. I've never been involved in any CCGs or TCGs, and I'm very leery of the concept....

Any other options? Or, if not, is there a way to get into Android: Netrunner without blowing my wallet on a billion packs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms is the main game that comes to mind. One deck for 2 players, deck builder (not deck construction), all about attacking and taking down the other player, and a sci-fi setting. A few small expansions and a second type of deck is available, so it isn't a total money sink like the LCG/CCG business model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilder
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a new core set coming out soon, so if you have any desire to play in the competetive tournament seen you could wait to get that, otherwise some of the cards in you original core set might be rotated out of legality for tournament play.

If you just want to play with a friend, then some old packs and the old core set might be on discount in the near future, so that is a great way to get involved for cheap.

Also, if you just want you play your friend, then you don't have to buy pack after pack, just play with limited card pools. You won't have to worry about your opponent getting lucky by pulling the best rare card from a pack and having to keep up with him/her.
Another option, is to buy a core set, and then getting Android: Netrunner – Terminal Directive. Its a campaign for netrunner. I have not played it, so I don;t know how long it lasts, but its a way to explore the game that is different from the standard tournament scene.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbosity wrote:
Star Realms is the main game that comes to mind. One deck for 2 players, deck builder (not deck construction), all about attacking and taking down the other player, and a sci-fi setting. A few small expansions and a second type of deck is available, so it isn't a total money sink like the LCG/CCG business model.

I've played some Star Realms. And I do like deckbuilding, but... it just seemed too random, what came out of for the offer. In Dominion, for example, it's all always available in front of you.... But, maybe I need a few more plays of it.

I have played a game of Eminent Domain as well, and we liked it, but we need a few more plays before we can be sure about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desmothenes wrote:
There is a new core set coming out soon, so if you have any desire to play in the competetive tournament seen you could wait to get that, otherwise some of the cards in you original core set might be rotated out of legality for tournament play.

If you just want to play with a friend, then some old packs and the old core set might be on discount in the near future, so that is a great way to get involved for cheap.

Also, if you just want you play your friend, then you don't have to buy pack after pack, just play with limited card pools. You won't have to worry about your opponent getting lucky by pulling the best rare card from a pack and having to keep up with him/her.
Another option, is to buy a core set, and then getting Android: Netrunner – Terminal Directive. Its a campaign for netrunner. I have not played it, so I don;t know how long it lasts, but its a way to explore the game that is different from the standard tournament scene.

Thanks for the suggestions! I have no interest at all in the tournament scene, so maybe Netrunner could still be an option with just a few packs....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Android Netrunner isn't a CCG and you don't have to buy a billion packs to play good games of it with a friend, particularly if you aren't playing in tournaments or pursuing the meta.

You can start with a base set and add a few packs as you feel the need. There are plenty of resources listing what packs have really useful cards or are good for a preferred runner or corporation that you like.

You can also watch Geekbay for people selling collections, which is an inexpensive way to get a lot of cards.

My other rec for a great duel style card game with lots of game in the box would be BattleCON War of Indines or Devastation of Indines. There will be characters with supernatural elements, but there are also characters who are using normal weapons and straight up charging into battle. You select the character you play, so you can stick with the regular battle type of characters and still have plenty of choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
Allegiance: A Realm Divided uses basically the same reaction stack as M:TG, has very little in the way of spells, and is NOT a CCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
Elankat wrote:
Android Netrunner isn't a CCG
There's not much difference between a CCG and a LCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
Elankat wrote:

As someone who started playing Magic the Gathering in 1993 and who owns a couple of LCGs, I don't agree with your statement at all. But hey, if you think there's no difference between a game where the meta has had cards that cost more than buying everything produced for a LCG, then we can agree to disagree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it need to be science fiction, or would, something like Field of Glory: The Card Game (which I haven't played) also work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
Does it need to be science fiction, or would, something like Field of Glory: The Card Game (which I haven't played) also work?

Sci-fi isn't a requirement, and I had never heard of Field of Glory.... I'll take a look at it! Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions! I have no interest at all in the tournament scene, so maybe Netrunner could still be an option with just a few packs....

for whatever its worth, I play netrunner exclusively with my spouse and you can absolutely get by with just a few packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
Elankat wrote:

Aside from the part where with an LCG you pay a fixed cost and get everything in a set for less than the price of a single copy of a top card in a CCG, no, not much difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peters
United States
Barberton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baseball Highlights: 2045?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Brevity exceeds allocated space
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy Android: Netrunner core set.

Buy nothing else.

Fun.

It's not a CCG. It's a LCG. You only need to buy more packs if you want to play in tournaments and things. For at-home, with-friends play, it's wonderful. If you ever decide to buy packs--which will only ever mean buying one copy of that pack since there's no CCG randomization--you'll do so because after dozens of games with the core cards you'd like to spice things up a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Brown
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Man, Sub-creator, the refracted Light through whom is splintered from a single White to many hues, and endlessly combined in living shapes that move from mind to mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Codex.

It is like magic, but it is self contained. There are no plans to expand the game further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Kazakov
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
If your plan is to just play kitchen table games. ANR is great for that. I would recommend waiting until the revised core comes out as that core is an amazing stand alone experience. If you are looking to play more competitively it's absolutely possible to play competitive ANR without blowing up your wallet, however, things are in flux right now and it would be worthwhile holding off for a little while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elitusprime wrote:
Check out Codex.

It is like magic, but it is self contained. There are no plans to expand the game further.

Unfortunately, it looks like Codex has magic/supernatural thematic elements in it, which wouldn't work for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keithustus wrote:
Buy Android: Netrunner core set.

Buy nothing else.

Fun.

It's not a CCG. It's a LCG. You only need to buy more packs if you want to play in tournaments and things. For at-home, with-friends play, it's wonderful. If you ever decide to buy packs--which will only ever mean buying one copy of that pack since there's no CCG randomization--you'll do so because after dozens of games with the core cards you'd like to spice things up a bit.

Really? Ok! Well, that actually sounds pretty appealing.... I really am just planning to play it at home with a friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Codlin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I agree completely with Keith. If you buy just the core set you'll get a ton of enjoyment while you and your friend figure out the basic game strategy and its unique mechanics. If you decide at any point you want to add new cards as an "expansion," you can buy a deluxe expansion or a couple data packs and you've just added to your closed system's replayability while controlling your costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
I've played some Star Realms. And I do like deckbuilding, but... it just seemed too random, what came out of for the offer. In Dominion, for example, it's all always available in front of you.... But, maybe I need a few more plays of it.

The cards that are available are random but that doesn't mean the game is random. An experienced player will beat a new player more often than not in my experience. The random trade row means that sometimes not buying is the right thing to do and allows abilities like removing cards from the trade row to exist. It might not be the game for you but I'd recommend playing a few more games.

I'd you don't care about a duel theme then Race for the Galaxy could be an option. It had a sci-fi theme and is all about card powers and combos like Magic, and like MtG people who like it usually really like it. The interaction is all about trying to avoid helping your opponent, leaching off their actions and predicting what they are planning on doing. I think it was I've of the influences for Eminent Domain. It does take a few games to figure out what you're supposed to be doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Brown
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Man, Sub-creator, the refracted Light through whom is splintered from a single White to many hues, and endlessly combined in living shapes that move from mind to mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
elitusprime wrote:
Check out Codex.

Unfortunately, it looks like Codex has magic/supernatural thematic elements in it, which wouldn't work for us.

Ah.. I missed that part of your post. My apologies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elitusprime wrote:
Mentat1231 wrote:
elitusprime wrote:
Check out Codex.

Ah.. I missed that part of your post. My apologies.

No problem at all. It's quite the doozy as far as thematic limitations for a board gamer go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Others have said this, but there still seems to be some potentially confusing information, so I think it is worth reiterating that Android: Netrunner is not like Magic: The Gathering in its distribution model. When you purchase a package of Netrunner cards, you know precisely what it contains. In that way they are like Star Realms, they are not randomized and "collectible" in the way that Magic booster packs are.

I also think Netrunner is a very good duel-style two-player strategy card game. But be warned that it has a substantial learning curve, especially since each player's role is asymmetrical. It will probably take a few games with each role to really start getting the hang of the game, but I find it worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
Others have said this, but there still seems to be some potentially confusing information, so I think it is worth reiterating that Android: Netrunner is not like Magic: The Gathering in its distribution model. When you purchase a package of Netrunner cards, you know precisely what it contains. In that way they are like Star Realms, they are not randomized and "collectible" in the way that Magic booster packs are.

I also think Netrunner is a very good duel-style two-player strategy card game. But be warned that it has a substantial learning curve, especially since each player's role is asymmetrical. It will probably take a few games with each role to really start getting the hang of the game, but I find it worthwhile.

Thank you for that. I'll keep it in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.