Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Alexander
United States
Saline
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
I have bought everyone expansion, and never really played the game. A couple of friends and I started the missions and loved it, but there is always something else to play, and we just have not gotten back to Imperial Assault.
The other day I started organizing it, and got really excited. I have never done a skirmish, but want to set one up for game night. I bought a playmat (the one with Boba Fett) and realized quickly that I have no idea how to run a skirmish.
1. I have a huge stack of Skirmish cards. Do I just draw one random card and that is the scenario? I see there is an A & a B. Do I need both to play a skirmish?
2. Let's say I pick the rebels and my friends picks Imperials, do we just thumb through all the rebels/imperials and pick who we want as long as it is under 40 points?
3. I apologize, I am asking these questions as I sit at work and do not have anything in front of me. If the mission speaks of objectives, are those objectives universal to any map?

I feel like I understand the fight itself. I have played plenty of Heroscape and stuff like it in the past. My real confusion is on the skirmish cards as well as placing anything extra on the maps.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-Don
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Roy
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The manual has most of the answers you're looking for.
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/40/bf...

but more specifically,
1. pick whatever map you want to play. Each has 2 different scenarios.
2. You can play the same sides if you want, army building guidelines are in the rules.
3. I'm not sure I understand the last question. Each scenario has it's own objectives and win conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MainManDetroit wrote:
I bought a playmat (the one with Boba Fett) and realized quickly that I have no idea how to run a skirmish.

I believe this is one of the skirmish playmats for a particular map. In organized play, they use a 3-map rotation, and there is a playmat for each map in the current rotation. These maps are typically built using map tiles from the core set and sometimes expansions. The playmats are identical to these maps, but they save you the hassle of having to build the maps using tiles each time you play.

MainManDetroit wrote:
1. I have a huge stack of Skirmish cards. Do I just draw one random card and that is the scenario? I see there is an A & a B. Do I need both to play a skirmish?

Each skirmish map has 2 missions - A & B. Both missions use the same exact skirmish map, but they have different objectives and tokens. The base set and each expansion and figure pack come with a sheet of paper that shows you how to build the skirmish map, plus a little back story for each mission. If you're playing casually, pick whatever map and corresponding mission you like, or pick one randomly. In organized play, there are 3 maps and 6 missions (an A & B per map), and you pick randomly from those 6 missions.

MainManDetroit wrote:
2. Let's say I pick the rebels and my friends picks Imperials, do we just thumb through all the rebels/imperials and pick who we want as long as it is under 40 points?

Basically, yes. You can only have one of each unique deployment card (so, only 1 Luke Skywalker, for example), up to 2 copies of each non-unique elite (red) deployment card, and up to 4 copies of each non-unique regular (gray) deployment card. So, you could have 4 groups of stormtroopers at 6 points per deployment card for a total of 24 points (and 4x3=12 stormtrooper figures).

MainManDetroit wrote:
3. If the mission speaks of objectives, are those objectives universal to any map?

No. The objectives apply only to that mission, and the mission applies only to a specific map.

You didn't ask any questions about the command deck, but don't forget that part of your squad as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Alexander
United States
Saline
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outstanding. That is exactly what I was asking.

As for the Command Deck, I assume we just take the entire deck and thumb through it and pick 15 points worth of cards. Any cards will work, as long as if one we pick mentions a character, we have that character.
Am I wrong? This part seemed really straight forward.

I feel like a fool. I have been buying all the expansions, and each time I save the directions that came with the figures. I never even realized they had maps on the instructions. I never read through those, and just assumed they were examples. So stupid. So really, there must be a ton of Skirmish maps. From everything I looked at on here last night, I thought there were like 8. I had no idea there were more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MainManDetroit wrote:
Outstanding. That is exactly what I was asking.

As for the Command Deck, I assume we just take the entire deck and thumb through it and pick 15 points worth of cards. Any cards will work, as long as if one we pick mentions a character, we have that character.
Am I wrong? This part seemed really straight forward.

15 points and 15 cards. The command deck should be exactly 15 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico P
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly 15 cards but <= 15pts. Don't forget the duplicate restriction as well, see Skirmish Guide pg.6 Army Building

Skirmish is built upon the assumption that each player have their own big box of stuff (which is usually not true if you're playing at home with friends). So if both you wants a specific command card then perhaps try to work something out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Conder
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
If you are the only one with a collection, then I suggest that you always play as different factions. It will be quite difficult to share a single faction between two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.