Dragon Castle» Forums » General

Subject: Solo variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Neuville

Wisconsin
msg tools
mb
The game is inspired by the solo variant of Mahjong but the player count listed is 2-4. Any plans for a solo variant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Pra'
Italy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CoffeeGeek1023 wrote:
The game is inspired by the solo variant of Mahjong but the player count listed is 2-4. Any plans for a solo variant?

It is inspired by the solo variant of mahjong, whose goal is to completely remove the tiles from the central castle, but in Dragon Castle you compete for points. We don't currently have any plans for a solo variant, but you could play it like the traditional mahjong solitaire, I guess

WIth enough demand, we will try to think about it, but at least for launch I don't see this happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S A
msg tools
mbmb
I'm so disappointed to see there's no solo variant. I couldn't click on the ad fast enough when I saw the tiles, but what a letdown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Pra'
Italy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In an unexpected turn of events, while we were talking about this during our lunch break, Hjalmar Hach had a promising idea for a solo variant. We will have no chance to include these rules for a solo variant in the box (the game is already in production), but if the idea turns out to be good enough to be made into an actual variant, we may release it as a downloadable extra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S A
msg tools
mbmb
Algaroth wrote:
In an unexpected turn of events, while we were talking about this during our lunch break, Hjalmar Hach had a promising idea for a solo variant. We will have no chance to include these rules for a solo variant in the box (the game is already in production), but if the idea turns out to be good enough to be made into an actual variant, we may release it as a downloadable extra.

HOORAY!!

(And to clarify my prior comment, I'd have bought this anyway, but it's moved up to my pre-order list in anticipation of the possible solo-variant )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
Have you paid your dues, Jack?
badge
Yes sir, the check is in the mail.
mbmbmbmbmb
Algaroth wrote:

Yay! I like getting games I can solo, but maybe convince my wife to play, also. She's a sucker for an Asian theme (such as Tokaido, Takenoko, Yamatai...). Possibly because she's from Taiwan, but who knows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Luckus
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Algaroth wrote:

I don't think publishers should be expected to design solo rules. This coming from a guy who has been a big solo play person this year. That being said, if you put a solo variant in the forums or files section I'd be happy. I'm sure there are plenty of solo players on BGG who would step in and post their own solo variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Algaroth wrote:
... the solo variant of mahjong
The only thing it has in common with Mahjong is that it uses the same tiles. So it's as misleading as saying Freecell is a solo variant of Bridge just because they use the same 52 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Pra'
Italy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mouldybanana wrote:
Algaroth wrote:
... the solo variant of mahjong
The only thing it has in common with Mahjong is that it uses the same tiles. So it's as misleading as saying Freecell is a solo variant of Bridge just because they use the same 52 cards.

In principle, I can agree with you. The de-facto reality is different, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Diaz Diaz
Spain
oviedo
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I´m adding this game to my wishlist, but the solo option would make me to purchase it as soon as possible, I had no way to attend Essen, and I´ve seen that the game is being sold there...and I have to way to get it... Shame...
Cheers from Spain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.